Might have to move...What'll happen to my expo dreams?

fireball

Explorer
Well, I'm no expert, but I do live near Philly and do have some Expo dreams so here is my $.02:

Life is what you make of it. Philly isn't a terrible place and if you know what you're getting into and you'll like it might be a good situation. No doubt the outdoor recreation opportunities are a little further away, harder to find, less vast and perhaps a little underwhelming when compared to the wild wild west, but there's still plenty of fun to be had. The PA state forests offer some cool recreation oppurtunites, Rausch Creek off road park will be 30' or so away, and you are within a few hours drive of cool parts of New York Catskills Adirondacks, Vermont, NH, Maine, etc. We are doing a tour of the northeast loop for spring break week - starting here in central PA, up to the Catskills, then into VT, then to the White Mountains, then down into MA to the Cape and along the Cape. New Hampshire Overland Experience in June, Vermont Fall Rally in October, etc.

Plenty of fun to be had. No, it's not CO, but you have to consider the overall picture!

Regarding your truck: Main Line Overland is near Philly. Iron Pig Off Road is the best LC shop and down towards DC. So yes, good shops but again not quite the level of Slee :)

FELNTPSY

I live on the coast of North Carolina. Which to me seems about as far away as possible from any wide-open space other than ocean. That said, I'm a second generation transplant out here from southern Idaho. My grandparents and the rest of my family were all from that area. Most still live in north Ut, Southern Id. Luckily, I get to visit their ranches several times a year and just last year started leaving a tacoma out in SLC to use while I'm out there.

I fell in love with the Capitol Reef and Escalante area a few years ago. I've got a friend that moved back here after he married his wife (he is from Gunnison, UT and she is from here in our town). We go flyfishing back around his place at least 3 times year.

Locally, I make short trips to camp on the beach, head to the NC mountains.

Seems to me that things out here in the east are much more populated and so your "expeditions" end up being more of taking in sights, small towns, folk art/mountain folk cuture, etc. You will not find places to get away by yourself or with just you and your family very often out here. Again, I'm not as familiar with PA, but what my opinion regards is North Carolina.

I could never make the money I make here in NC out in UT, CO, or ID. So, I've tried to compromise by spending some of that extra I have to enjoy both offshore fishing which I do here, as well as exploring outdoors in SE UT, CO by putting a fairly inexpensive, reliable rig out in UT.

So far it is a blast. As long as airfare stays cheap...it will continue to be something I can do 4-5 times a year for 5-7 days each trip.

All that said. IF I had to chose a place to be........and could still provide for my family and have some extra bucks left over to hit the road. I'd pick the West! Tough decision you've got to make!

CreeperSleeper

Looking for bigger rocks.
You also need to factor in IF more $$ would give you more opportunity to expo... That would depend on the time off you could get, I suppose. Just wanted to throw another aspect into it. For a year I got to live (in my opinion) the coolest place on earth as far as outdoor recreation. However, I was so broke I couldn't enjoy it.

zimm

Expedition Leader
it all depends on the math.

staying on a 50k job and turning down a 150k job is probably a top 10 idiot move, unless you think youre gonna die early, or have sufficient reason to suspect you just arnt good enough for the job and you'll be in over your head.

if youre willing to live on 50k to have the life you want, then bank the other 100k and retire early. thats the ultimate freedom. going wherever you want and never having to fret finances. how many "how can i afford to travel for a year?" threads have you seen on here?

brushogger

Explorer
Do a search on here for a member named Haggis and the ARSES group. He is also active on the AAV forum. PM him and he can fill you in on many great places in the east. They are based out of Pennsylvania and have some great adventures. They usually incorporate some canoeing or kayaking on their trips. They are also very family friendly. Adventure can be found anywhere. It IS what you make it.

bossman429

Adventurer
You also need to factor in IF more $$ would give you more opportunity to expo... That would depend on the time off you could get, I suppose. Just wanted to throw another aspect into it. For a year I got to live (in my opinion) the coolest place on earth as far as outdoor recreation. However, I was so broke I couldn't enjoy it.

it all depends on the math.

staying on a 50k job and turning down a 150k job is probably a top 10 idiot move, unless you think youre gonna die early, or have sufficient reason to suspect you just arnt good enough for the job and you'll be in over your head.

if youre willing to live on 50k to have the life you want, then bank the other 100k and retire early. thats the ultimate freedom. going wherever you want and never having to fret finances. how many "how can i afford to travel for a year?" threads have you seen on here?

These two things!

For example. Say i make 100K now and I'm right at the comfort level i want to be at to live life the way i want. I wouldn't take less to move out west b/c if i made any less, i wouldn't be able to afford the hobbies/way of life I enjoy.

However, if I made 125k here, I might be willing to take a 25k pay cut since i know I can still live the quality of life i want on 100k/yr

Likewise - i'm always thinking of the ultimate vacation.... which is retirement, and If I can retire at 50 by living/work out east, and can't retire till I'm 65 if i lived out west, You bet your *** I'm staying here and retiring early!

Good news is you'll be significantly closer to the beach in the Philly metro area then you would be in Colorado!

(beans)

Observer
I appreciate you guys

Thanks everyone…all of you made great points.

What really sticks with me though is the recurring theme of "Adventure is what you make it."

With this in mind my family and I have decided that if the proper financial threshold is met by their offer for that job back east…we'll have a hard time saying no. We set a line that if crossed, we'd sacrifice our geography for a few years and save it all away…because you're not truly free in this country until you're financially free. I'll keep you posted!

But we'd move mainly because of WaWa… :) Just kidding. The fact that old friends and family are back there has a big impact. And since property taxes in PA are stupid low, we can put a nice few years together for our Daughter.

Thanks again, and I'll let you know how this opportunity for a tangent journey turns out.

bossman429

Adventurer
Congrats on the decision. There are always a million reasons NOT to do something. but if you find the ONE reason to do it, thats all you need.

Best of luck with the move and be sure to let us know if you're looking to do some exploring.. I'm always up for an opportunity to get out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven