Mojave Desert Exploring

ghost

Rumor has it, it was put up by bored railroad employees from parts that were laying around near the T&T UP junction. They wanted to get in touch with employees at Omaha.

JChatary

Outdoor Daydreamer
...and I thought this would be a neat pic for here!

45.jpg

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Did I see the Toyota with the trailer on Sunday?

I think I may have passed the Toyota Land Cruiser going in opposite directions on Sunday afternoon. The picture looks like Broadwell Dry Lake. I was leading a rather large group in a Sportsmobile.

Was I correct?

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
hahahahha

Yep! We were making our way back from the desert megaphone.

I gave you a thumbs up or a peace sign or something!

Was hoping we'd find out who you were!

Explorer 1 said:
I think I may have passed the Toyota Land Cruiser going in opposite directions on Sunday afternoon. The picture looks like Broadwell Dry Lake. I was leading a rather large group in a Sportsmobile.

In fact here's a video clip of us.... but this is west bound earlier in the day with no traffic on the lakebed.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QQx1PYdHXqU

Last edited:

swagdan

Yup, I distinctly remember passing you and your large group (who didn't slow much while passing....we appreciated the dust storm while we yielded). :smiley_drive: Everyone in your group had big smiles and hearty waves while passing. Looks like ya'll had a good time.

I was out front (white cruiser) while rest of our group was catching up after playing on the lake bed.

Fantastic Sportmobile you have. Looks great AND comfortable. Did you guys make it out to the Megaphone?

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
BigAl said:
I'll bite, what is that?

Bill Mann's guide (Guide to 50 interesting and mysterious site in the Mojave) lists this appearing sometime around 1985. They posted in the Barstow paper asking about it, but never received any replies and BLM never issued a permit for it.

But given the railroad not being too far (?) it maybe something some very bored rail workers did do it.

N35 0.389'
W116 11.941'

Last edited:

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
Other group.....

The Toyota and trailer was the topic of conversation around one the fires that night.

Sorry to all about all the dust on the lake. I think we were about 20 vehicles. When we passed I remember looking back and seeing all the vehicles fanned out behind me and thinking, I hope no two vehicles meet each other in all that dust. Several in the group are just starting their love for off-roading and have limited experience.

We spent the night on the north end of the lake. I was a bit cold at a low of 25 that night. We then traveled north past the megaphone, which has been a topic and mystery in past trips. Thanks for the extra info.

We then went west through Afton Canyon and some of us followed the old Mojave Road west of the canyon in the deep sand.

Trip went well with only one flat tire.

I taught my youngest daughter how to drive on that lake years ago. I figured there was plenty of room for error. She is now a 4-wheeler and was driving the silver Tacoma in our group.

Thanks,

Fred
Explorer 1

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Explorer 1 said:
The Toyota and trailer was the topic of conversation around one the fires that night.

hahaha right on!

Hey Fred, how were the winds out there for you guys?

We headed off to Hole in the Rock camp off essex. The winds were heavy in the early-mid evening then died off by bedtime. Probably dropped to only 35 degrees.. but we had a little vegetation to keep us insulated unlike a lakebed.

Trip report should be up tonight.

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Thanks man. Just needs to be painted to match and wheels switched out.

It was creepy at first..... i kept thinking i was gonna flop it on its side. Well with my buddies behind me reassuring it was just my rear view mirror.... i got used to it. I guess first time out, i would have hated to have it flipped the first time out with us. Other than that it was fine. Barely knew it was there. Took some time getting through the whoops in the middle of the desert.. but by the time we were heading home i had learned how to drive in that too... just takes a little more finesse because you have another axle coming through after you.

Big thing was getting used to how it handled and what it could take and what it couldn't take. Learned a ton this trip. Still have years more to go.

Highway driving you barely knew the thing was there,..... until i hit a steep grade. Then the 80 was huffin' and puffin'. But worth it IMHO, i dont care how long it takes to get to my destination.

Camping was super easy compared to before. No more emptying the cruiser to get to the stuff i needed. No more trying to unfold a tent 6+ feet in the air.. or putting the cover on and trying to balance on the sliders. It's nice that the tent is 4 feet off the ground... especially for when nature calls in the middle of the night. Also, i didn't have to stand on my tip toes to see where my beer was in the fridge at camp. Now it sits down low with plenty of room to see whats in it. But yeah , super fast to setup now. The best thing is the base camp idea... which we didn't get to try this time out.. but maybe next time. Then i can setup my shower and bathroom and be done.

Last edited:

Explorer 1

Explorer 1
weather and pics

The wind didn't get that bad and it did calm down about 8 pm. One of the guys just bought and installed his Truck tent and was trying it out for the first time only to find he had left all the rods at home. Still worked out good with lots of room for a single guy.

I was just sent some pics of the trip and there was this one you passing.

Thanks,

Fred
Explorer 1

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kabobkabobkabob