More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

marktutone

Adventurer
So how come the Jeep fanboys don't point out how the offset diffs from the Flatties was copied by Land Rover and Toyota?? And they still use them... Or how Mahindra built copies of the flattie for years... I like jeeps. I have two. But, I don't think its the best vehicle to overland around the world in...

Some people love the way a Honda motorcycle drives and never breaks down and others will only ride a Harley Davidson. Coca Cola was the original and people will only drink it because of that. Jeep is the original 4x4. Jeepers invented “Jeeping” and “Overlanding.” Most people of the world will state they are Jeeping when they take their Toyota out off road. I have owned many vehicles and products in my life and I have decided to stick with the originals.
When you state “fanboys” it sounds very derogatory.
You are not showing the proper respect to the jeep and the people who drive them and love them. For many years Jeepers have helped develop the 4x4 vehicles and lifestyle.
This thread was not started to state Jeep is best, rather that acceptance among off road enthusiast/overlanders around the world was growing.
The relative simplicity of the vehicle and the unprecedented availability of after market parts and it's ability that it can be made bullet proof is unprecedented. No other vehicle in the world can boast the diversity and sheer number of companies that sale parts for any Jeep ever made. You can get parts for the original WWII Jeep and have them overnighted now.
Yes Jeep owners are enthusiastic. Rather than trying to knock them down with comments like fanboy you should should smile at their enthusiasm.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
have not run across any jeeps in botswana,namibia,zimbabwe.
I am certain there are a few in south africa.maybe will see dans on his journey or ommar"s on his capetown trip!!

good luck

kp

Hi

Probably there are very few there, when were you there?, I mean Wrangler unlimited 4 door came out late at year 2007 and are incresing in sales.

Very difficult to find some statistic. I tried in South Africa

Everyone?:) here would say that Landrover sell more than Jeep in South Africa and that Landrover Defender sell more than Jeep Wrangler :sombrero:

For year 2011 there were sold 628 Landrover Defenders in South Africa according to this link http://raycee1234.blogspot.se/2012/03/lr-defender-sales-by-country-20111.html

For year 2012 there were sold 1689 Jeep Wranglers in South Africa according to this link http://www.bizcommunity.com/Article/196/486/87535.html

According for this "Passenger Market - November 2014" one month there were sold 590 Jeeps and 328 Land Rovers in South Africa http://www.naamsa.co.za/flash/pas.html but they are not even close to Toyota sales at 4829 but many of them are offcourse are normal 2x2 toyota cars.

Here is another list (jeep is sold by chrysler) and I found it odd that the sales of Mazda and Mitsubishi were so low http://www.naamsa.co.za/flash/total.html

I think in 2013 and 2014 the Jeep sales have increased even more in Soth Africa.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
One of the reason that Wolkswagen and Toyota are big in South Africa is that the world put up some vehicle export embargo during the Apartheit and could not import vehicles. So Toyota opened a plant in South Africa and I remember that booth the minibusses I rented in 1995 and 2000 were made in South Africa. I think also wolkswagen have some plant there to.

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

Why do not Jeep sell so well in Afrika? Its a small brand, have no pickups, offen luxurious, no minibusses, not so big market i poor countries, not so much a farming vehicle etc, 4 door Wrangler came late at year 2007.
Other things is under the years many countries in Africa have been (and some is) unstable and non democratic and regime states and I think under the years US government have made many embargos and sanctions to different countries in Africa that might prohibited American brands like to sell there and many brands dont want to sell to thoose countries anyway and even maybe to risky (economical, safety) for a company in such countries.
Sanctions from US in 2014
863px-US_Sanctions.svg.png

Probably many vehicles in Africa are made in South Africa like Toyota and the model that were made in Japan probably comes to a harbour in South Africa and then got sold in South Africa and then exported to many other countries in Africa. Under many years many vehicle brands did not want to or were not allowed to sell? vehicles to South Africa under Apartheid but some oppened plants there "1961 –Datsun (later Nissan) started assembling cars in South Africa. Toyota South Africa began manufacturing the next year" from http://www.gibs.co.za/programmes/ce...ory-of-japanese---south-africa-relations.aspx

Japanise brands did not care about on economic embargo on South Africa during Apartheid " Nissan, Toyota and Honda, defied the UN economic embargo on South Africa, and continued to operate there, unlike Ford and General Motors, who pulled out" from http://www.telegraph.com/motor/07000010.htm
So Toyota did sell and manufactured a lot of vehicles in South Africa and exported them to other countries in Africa under many years under Apartheid and many other brands did not, and that is probably one of the reason there are so many Toyotas in Africa, and offcourse its a very nice brand and have alot of models.
British workers at the Landrover plant tried to stop Landrover export to South Africa from here http://books.google.se/books?id=JGE...q=landrover under apartheid exporting&f=false

Last edited:

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Hi

Here are the latest sales statistics in Sweden for September 2014, one month

Jeep Wrangler: 157 units
Landrover Discovery 4: 93
Toyota Landcruiser: 66
Landrover Defender: 23
Mercedes Geländewagen: 13

My Apartment in Sweden:coffeedrink:

65817226.jpg

Just driving around a bit

130820634.jpg

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Intresting

Apartheid ended in Year 1994 and "Due to the re-establishment of Chrysler Jeep in South Africa in 1996, Jeep numbers have grown
dramatically"

Probably difficult to get Jeeps "Due to the decline in numbers of Jeeps in South Africa and the growing interest
in four wheel drive vehicles for recreational purposes the Club later decided to
open it's membership to all types of four wheel drive vehicles"

From

http://jeepclubsa.co.za/storage/files/History.pdf

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Howdy folks
Found new current statistics sales from a 4x4 forum in South Africa
This is only 4x4 with Low range box and year 2014 to november (not full year)

attachment.php

Looks like Defender sales have dropped from 628 for the hole Year in 2011 to 281 units under 2014 year to november (not full year)
I am mad at Landrover, why didnt they make the Defender more modern on the inside, more safety things like airbags, have lockers, have a option for a petrol engine, have a option for a automatic etc and almost totally save the exterior. I mean I think The Defender looks best of all 4x4. My heart was for the Defender and I and my girlfriend tried several Defenders and we liked it and then tried Wranglers and I could not pay maybe 10 000 dollars more on a outdated vehicle like the Defender is compared to a Wrangler, even If I liked the look on the Defender more. The Defender engine is outdated and have very high taxes due to its pollution, around yearly 1200 dollars in road tax in Sweden even If you dont drive it. My Wrangler with Pentastar engine petrol has about 440 dollars in roadtax in Sweden.
Landrover miss a big market, US when they refuse to uppgrade the Defender. Landrover makes the death for the Defender, it has the evolve to survive.
Sadly I dont think that the next Defender will be a Defender at all, a rugged workhorse, it will probably be a very expensive city suv, I hope I will be wrong :sombrero:. After the Death of Defender the Landrover brand will loose what they are famous for and it will only have expensive city suvs and will not be so popular in the future for overlanders etc.
I am totally in love with the cargo room a Defender has.
Look at the huge space in the Defender 2.40 min in this video and the box to the left with kitchen stuff, awesome. This Guy Ben Brown got a Defender and it is very nice to follow him and his friends on different trips in South Africa

This Defender looks awesome

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy