More proof that Jeep is the leader in 4x4 overland vehicles

jkgoglobal

Will let you know in 2 yrs :)

We're modding a 2011 4 door JK for towing a trailer from VMI offroad (the Canyon model). www.vmioffroad.com Will have 5.7L hemi and new tranny (engine takes regular gas), new suspension, drive shafts, axles assemblies, etc.

It will go around the world in about 2 yrs time - figuring 3-5 yrs for the trip, maybe longer depending what we run into along the way (hopefully not literally). Aftermarket parts can be shipped pretty much anywhere (though at expense), can be DIY installed, and in some cases are available in other countries. For example, Teraflex lists a fair number of countries with dealers: http://www.teraflex.biz/dealers/index/list/?list=international. Chrysler has a pretty big presence it seems, too, but the proof will be in the pudding. Having a dealer support network who can ship stuff in a pinch won't be a bad thing, either.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Keeping the frame, body panels, and glass, but replacing everything else kind of ruins the point of "jeep ith da bersts kar1" argument. I could do the same in a Pinto... More money than sense it seems.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Howdy Iam back:wings:

Some say that the Wrangler have insufficient payload for overlanding, I just hade to count. My 2013 Rubicon unlimited have a payload of 545kg, 1201.52 pounds.

We say for two people for 20 days without gasstations, shops, water etc, a rather extreme situation.
1 passenger = 75 kg
2 Helinox chairs =2kg
1 Helinox table = 1kg
2 madrasses Exped 1kg
2 sleeping bags 4 kg
1 Fridge 40 liter 16kg
Water 100 liter. 2.5 liter a day for one person. 5x25 =125kg
Tools = 20kg
Personal items = 20kg
Medical bag = 1kg
Tent = 4 kg
Food = 30kg
Kitchen stuff = 10kg
Petrol 100 liters 5x25 = 125kg
Extra battery = 20kg
Solar panel = 5kg
Total for 20 days for 2 people= 459kg (1011.92 pounds).
My payload 545 kg-459kg= 86kg
As I am 86kg (about 189.6 pounds) under the payload I can bring a lot more with me.
You can increase the payload if you take out the rear seat.
I dont know if I have forgotten som vital heavy stuff here but I dont think so.
So the payload is more than sufficient for overlanding with 2 persons in a Jeep Wrangler unlimited for 20 days without any possibility to get supplies.

Omar, your math is right, but you forgot your second passenger at the very first line, so hopefully your friend weighs less than 86kg.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Omar, your math is right, but you forgot your second passenger at the very first line, so hopefully your friend weighs less than 86kg.

Hi

If Iam incorrect, please tell me

In the payload at 545kg, its without the driver and full tank of petrol or diesel. We are only 2 in my calculation, one driver and one passenger. So there is no second passenger. So I only add 75kg for one passenger.

My curbweight is 1995kg and it is the totalweight and that is included the driver (75kg) all standard equipment, full tank of fuel.

I come from Sweden (Europe) so we include a driver at 75kg, can read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight and probably they count differently in US.

My gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is 2540kg and - minus the curbweight at 1995kg gives me a payload of 545kg

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Sorry, i'm not doing conversions, but

My '08 JKUR weighs 5150 lbs/w my wife, load and full tank of gas the weight is 5800 lbs and I tow my off road trailer at 1000lbs-

Without trailer-speed/power very good and mileage is 17.2 mpg-

With trailer-speed/power OK-mileage is 14.9mpg

Off-road she's been from 9mpg to 13mpg--

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Keeping the frame, body panels, and glass, but replacing everything else kind of ruins the point of "jeep ith da bersts kar1" argument. I could do the same in a Pinto... More money than sense it seems.

I have just added things we need and I still feel the Jeep is the best platform to buy right now. Even stock it will go places others would not fit or be able to make it because of clearance, width, and turning radius issues. plus overall damage from trails.

That being said, For 90 % of people here, you can get by with any rig if you add the stuff you need.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Just for the fun of it I wanted to have a rough estimate where in Africa you could fix your Jeep if it is broken down.

Here are some contries in Africa that import jeep and then offcourse can give them service. Probably there are more.

TANZANIA
UGANDA
ZAMBIA
MOZAMBIQUE
Zimbabwe
Kenya
Botzwana
Namibia
South Africa
Morocco
Egypt

Here are some info from Jeep in South Africa

http://www.jeep.co.za/hostb/intl/locator/za/en/region/detail.do?regionId=145

http://www.jeep.co.za/hostb/intl/locator/za/en/region

http://www.jeep.co.za/hostb/intl/locator/za/en/map

It might be so that You can look after the nearest Jeep dealer or service via the Navigationsystem?? have not checked that

Last edited:

jdillard

Observer
I read through about a quarter of this thread waiting for the 13-year-olds to let their parents back on the computer, but it never happened. I'm new here, and I have to say that the intelligence level shown in this thread really makes me question the advice given elsewhere on this site.

libarata

Expedition Leader
Hi

If Iam incorrect, please tell me

In the payload at 545kg, its without the driver and full tank of petrol or diesel. We are only 2 in my calculation, one driver and one passenger. So there is no second passenger. So I only add 75kg for one passenger.

My curbweight is 1995kg and it is the totalweight and that is included the driver (75kg) all standard equipment, full tank of fuel.

I come from Sweden (Europe) so we include a driver at 75kg, can read more here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curb_weight and probably they count differently in US.

My gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is 2540kg and - minus the curbweight at 1995kg gives me a payload of 545kg

Just list the driver right above the '1 passenger' addition to the list is all. Though, if the driver is already included into the calculations beforehand, it would be correct.

libarata

Expedition Leader
I read through about a quarter of this thread waiting for the 13-year-olds to let their parents back on the computer, but it never happened. I'm new here, and I have to say that the intelligence level shown in this thread really makes me question the advice given elsewhere on this site.

Just as when a Dodge truck dude speaks with a Ford truck dude, someones harbles will be jostled. Jeepers are exceedingly protective of their vehicle. Never take em seriously when they go into kiddo mode 'nuh uuuuuhh, MY hot wheels are better than YOUR hot wheels, because mine is purples!'

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy

Well that's a nice way to introduce yourself.

Omar Brannstrom

Adventurer
Just list the driver right above the '1 passenger' addition to the list is all. Though, if the driver is already included into the calculations beforehand, it would be correct.

The driver is already included and all standard equipment, full tank of fuel into the calculations beforehand

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy