Most economical way carry two to five gallons of extra fuel on a JK.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Your Jeep project link dont work
Thank you, I know. For years I hosted it using the free hosting I got for being a Time/Warner cable subscriber, but a few months ago they stopped the free web hosting service. I haven't gotten around to finding a new place to host it yet, sorry.

jscherb

Expedition Leader

If you've got factory wheels, most of those will not work - the center holes in the factory wheels are too small for those to fit through. I believe the Olympic Rotopax mount in the Quadtratec link works with the factory wheels, but I'm pretty sure the ones you linked to from AllThingsJeep, Summit Racing and AutoAnything are too big to fit.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The company is called MOR/Ryde (http://www.morryde.com/), they're one of the largest manufacturers of RV components and accessories in the U.S., and for some years they've also indirectly been in the Jeep market because they manufacture suspension components for one of the best known Jeep lift/suspension companies. This past year they decided they wanted to be in the Jeep market themselves, so they introduced four new products at the SEMA show; the spare-mounted jerry can holder was just one of them.

The products should be on the market very soon, I talked to them last week and they're in the process of talking with all the leads they got at SEMA to decide on the best distribution channel for their products - the big Jeep catalogs, 4WD shops, their own web site, etc.

If anyone would like to be notified when the products are available, they tell me you can click the "Contact Us" link on their web site and tell them you're interested in the jerry can holder - I think they're keeping a list of people who want to be informed.

BTW here are the other products they introduced at SEMA:

ProductPosters1024_zpsa3d12010.jpg

For the record: I am not a MOR/Ryde employee.

How do those rear hinges compare to the teraflex hinge? Also, know the suggested retail on those?

jscherb

Expedition Leader
How do those rear hinges compare to the teraflex hinge? Also, know the suggested retail on those?
Before answering I'll apologize to the O.P., I didn't mean to hijack the thread and divert it away from the O.P.'s question about carrying extra fuel, I'm sorry about that.

But I suppose the hinges, being stronger than the factory hinges, would be a good idea to increase the strength when you're carrying something heavy on the tailgate like extra fuel.

I'm not aware that Teraflex makes separate hinges, don't they just make the complete hinge/spare carrier unit?

These hinges are stronger than the factory hinges, they've got greaseable bronze bushings, and they're rebuildable in the event the bushings ever wear (the bushings are available at most hardware stores). They're also designed for mounting accessories, either singly as shown at left below with the Hi-Lift, or with a mounting grid system for multiple accessories (center, although no extra things are mounted in this photo).

I do know the price MOR/Ryde was quoting to people at SEMA, and I happened to be in their booth when someone from one of the big Jeep catalogs was there, and he told the MOR/Ryde guys their proposed price should be higher so I won't comment any more on the price because I don't know where it will end up :).

AccessorySystem4_zps8e075ac4.jpg

Now back to the O.P.'s original question about carrying fuel... sorry for the interruption.

kojackJKU

I would advise against carrying too much extra weight on the back with the stock hinges, mine are rattling now due to extensive off roading. The teraflex system can be had without the carrier. Its price but I think its worth it for the bracing it provides for the hinges and the gate itself. I think the mor's are a definite upgrade from the stockers, but I would go teraflex if they are close in price for the extra beef of their product. Now, if the Mor hinges are say 1/3 cheaper than it would be an option.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I would advise against carrying too much extra weight on the back with the stock hinges, mine are rattling now due to extensive off roading. The teraflex system can be had without the carrier. Its price but I think its worth it for the bracing it provides for the hinges and the gate itself. I think the mor's are a definite upgrade from the stockers, but I would go teraflex if they are close in price for the extra beef of their product. Now, if the Mor hinges are say 1/3 cheaper than it would be an option.
All I know is the price MOR/Ryde was suggesting to the people visiting their SEMA booth, but even if that Jeep catalog guy I mentioned gets his way and the price ends up being higher than what MOR/Ryde was suggesting, they'll easily be less than 1/3 the price of the Teraflex hinge base without the carrier.

kojackJKU

All I know is the price MOR/Ryde was suggesting to the people visiting their SEMA booth, but even if that Jeep catalog guy I mentioned gets his way and the price ends up being higher than what MOR/Ryde was suggesting, they'll easily be less than 1/3 the price of the Teraflex hinge base without the carrier.

Think they will beef everything up the same as the TF unit?

I agree with others that have said not to add anything to the stock tire carrier. I've had an oversize tire and wheel on mine for years and I also add a mountain bike to it when I'm traveling. This past summer the hinges finally failed (bent) and now they barely hold the tire and wheel. I have to lift up the tailgate to close it. I added a couple of pictures so you can see what I did for additional fuel. I use these to carry diesel fuel for my truck. I have read comments from people that question if this safe but I only put fuel in these when I'm traveling in remote areas where diesel is difficult to find so I really don't think that's an issue for me. I bought the tanks and brackets at JC Whitney.

042.jpg044.jpg

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Think they will beef everything up the same as the TF unit?

The Teraflex unit also adds additional reinforcement to the tailgate, although on the JK that's not as important as on the TJ and YJ - on the earlier models the tailgate is very weak and prone to flexing; on the JK the Jeep engineers anticipated much larger tires/heavier weights and made the tailgate far stronger.

On the TJ and YJ there are three weak links - the flexing of the tailgate, the reinforcement at the hinge mount points on the tub, and the hinges themselves. On the JK the engineers made the tailgate and the tub reinforcements much stronger, but the JK hinges are basically the same design as the TJ hinges, and over time the hinge pins wear and the tailgate droops. The MOR/Ryde hinges, being stronger than the factory hinges, and having greasable hinge pins that are larger than the factory pins, fix that last weak point.

OH9JK

Observer
I have personally seen JK tailgates with broken spot welds due to larger than stock tires bouncing around on them.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
I have personally seen JK tailgates with broken spot welds due to larger than stock tires bouncing around on them.
One thing that many people ignore that's critical when putting a larger spare on the tailgate, and this is true for the JK as well as the earlier models, is that the rubber snubber bumpers must all be firmly pressing into the sidewall of the tire to prevent "bouncing around", which can lead to tailgate failure or spare carrier failure. If the larger spare/different wheel causes the snubbers not to contact the tire very firmly, the snubber needs to be extended. Some people install the longer Daystar snubbers, but those are made of very soft rubber and don't actually snub anything, you need something as firm as the factory snubber. The snubbers are an important part of the overall spare carrier/tailgate design and need to be functioning properly to prevent damage.

I'm not saying that any size/weight spare it fine as long as the snubbers are working, but without the snubbers working tailgate damage is possible even with 33's.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Buy a couple scepter fuel cans from canada and store them in your JK. You're in Billings, you're already "close" to the border.

I bought a one off hitch receiver fuel carrier locally from a friend and went on a trip in June with it carrying two full jerry cans. Halfway through the trip one of the welds broke and the whole thing bent to hell making it unusable. I stuck the cans in my rig and rode like that the rest of the trip. No fumes, no leaking. I plan to fix the carrier and use it in the future but I have no issues with carrying fuel in the cabin in the scepter cans after being forced to do so on this trip. Those cans are fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater