Most economical way carry two to five gallons of extra fuel on a JK.

BCobe

Adventurer
Going to bring this one back from the dead. Anyone able to find the MORryde Hinges online? Saw Jscherb standing on his tire carrier in the Side Mount Jerry Can thread and decided to try and look these up. Rather get something like or the Crawler Concepts body mounted tire carrier coupled with the Vector Offroad EXO Rack.

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Going to bring this one back from the dead. Anyone able to find the MORryde Hinges online? Saw Jscherb standing on his tire carrier in the Side Mount Jerry Can thread and decided to try and look these up. Rather get something like or the Crawler Concepts body mounted tire carrier coupled with the Vector Offroad EXO Rack.

The MORryde hinges will be in the Extreme Terrain catalog soon, but right now you can get them direct from MORryde (http://www.morryde.com/product-category/9-jeep-accessories). Contact ryan(dot)wertz(at)morryde.com and he can help you out.

Beamer pilot

Explorer
The Jeep pictured seems to have the stronger aftermarket hinges...

Hi

I am not an expert but everyone say that the tailgate can not even hold the stock tire. If you look in the manual it states "If you have added aftermarket accessories to the
spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight
of 50 lbs (23 kg) including the weight of the spare tire" and a Rubicon wheel weigh more than 50lbs. It is sad that the tailgate is so weak. There should come real mounts for a jerrycan somewhere at the back from the factory. Some that have diesel vehicle have diesel jerrycans in the vehicle because diesel is less dangerous. As the tailgate are flimsy, why dont anyone offer a bracket for a rotopax or similar to be mounted under the vehicle, that would be a great solution, could also carry water that way.

If You look at many pictures You se offen that they also have a tire rack carrier that support the weight but offen dont mension it in the text

jeep-gas-can-roto-pax-on-tj.gif

Septu

Explorer
The MORryde hinges will be in the Extreme Terrain catalog soon, but right now you can get them direct from MORryde (http://www.morryde.com/product-category/9-jeep-accessories). Contact ryan(dot)wertz(at)morryde.com and he can help you out.

I don't see a price on there, however I believe they're selling them for ~$150 USD (I'd have to go find my email from them to see what they quoted me when I ordered mine). But as far as I'm concerned, that's a steal of a deal.

Add that with the Vector EXO rack and some rotopax, for what... $500? you have the ability to carry 8 gallons of gas and know that you won't be ************* up your tailgate in the process.

Jurfie

Adventurer
Dang, I've got to pick up a set of those; if only for the piece of mind.

Long list, thin wallet. *sighs*

onebuilder

Observer
I came up with my own Rotopax mount on the Poison Spyder tire carrier. I decided to go this route after some friends had spot welds break on the tub side hinge mounts and the TF hinge.
image.jpg

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Dang, I've got to pick up a set of those; if only for the piece of mind.

Long list, thin wallet. *sighs*

Im checking to see if mine are in today. If I get them, I will let you know what they are like. I ordered them a couple of weeks ago now.

Jerry Ward

Adventurer
USGI Mounts

The classic and original USGI Jerry Can mounts can be found on ebay and occasionally at flea markets/antique malls fairly cheap. I've picked a few up for $5, but most in the $20 range. Strong with multiple mounting points. I used to run one on my ATV to carry a runt 2.5gal Scepter. Here's an image I took off of ebay...
0.jpg

Trail_Blazer

Get the weight off the door!

I did a lot of research into tire and fuel carrying options. The door is not made to carry the stock tire, much less a 35" tire. It rattles and will eventually break in some way. The best option I found was the OR FAB Tire Carrier. It transfers the weight to the frame. Putting fuel inside the vehicle is problematic due to fumes and spills. Mounting it on the roof rack is possible, but sitting in the sun the cans could burst or leak all over the car. Nothing worse than watching your car go up in flames or destroying your roof and paint.

I went with the two RotoPax 3 gallons carrier, but wished I went with the two five gallon gas cans. If you get the five gallon can version, you can drop off the cans and mount a RotoPax duel can carrier and carry four 3 gallon RotoPax Cans. And the 5 Gallon carrier is cheaper than the two 3 gallons RotoPax version!

The only negative is the cost! But bite the bullet if you intend on keeping your Jeep awhile and get quality equipment once. You'll never regret the buy!

On my OR-FAB Tire/Fuel Carrier, I have a 35" Micky Thompson Baja Tire, two 3 gallon RotoPax Fuel cans, Hi-lift Jack, PullPal, Shovel, Axe, and Trasharoo. (I have my MAXTRAXs mounted on my Gobi Roof Rack) I haven't seen any other options that carried that much equipment, didn't affect the departure angle, and carried (if I had gotten the OR-FAB 5 gallon can carrier) 12 gallons of fuel.

MOguy

Explorer
Buy a couple scepter fuel cans from canada and store them in your JK. You're in Billings, you're already "close" to the border.

I bought a one off hitch receiver fuel carrier locally from a friend and went on a trip in June with it carrying two full jerry cans. Halfway through the trip one of the welds broke and the whole thing bent to hell making it unusable. I stuck the cans in my rig and rode like that the rest of the trip. No fumes, no leaking. I plan to fix the carrier and use it in the future but I have no issues with carrying fuel in the cabin in the scepter cans after being forced to do so on this trip. Those cans are fantastic.

That is what I do. I do strap it down. You won't find a better fuel can. The can on the right is my tool box (not a scepter can), it isn't used to carry fuel. I spent over a decade in the Army and seen many of these fuel cans seriously abused but have never seen one of the cans leak, not even fumes.
"the absolute best Jerry Cans that money can buy."http://schwarttzy.com/scepter-jerry-can/
0419221904_zpsoqxlut5i.jpg

Last edited:

jscherb

Expedition Leader
Here's a way to carry fuel that's not on the tailgate... these side-mount carriers can be set up to carry either Rotopax containers or jerry/NATO/Scepter cans. They bolt on to existing holes, no drilling required.

JKSideMountRotopax1_zpsfotedvtm.jpg

The driver's side mount also includes a place to mount a CB antenna.

JKSideMountJerry4_zpspvrzhf7l.jpg

These are prototypes I'm testing on my Jeep; the company that's producing these expects them to be available this summer.

anviljk

Adventurer
I used a trasharoo with a 5gal fuel container in it when I went to Bald Eagle. Theres enough room to put the trash on top if need be. It cost me like $60.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater