2004 4Runner. V8.​

So far, I have done the following:

-OME Heavy/heavy lift
-Sliders
-IBS Dual Battery system
-ASFIR Skid plate
-One size larger tire
-ARB Air compressor

The idea is to maintain a relatively stock vehicle, without a lot of unnecessary 'fluff' to get in the way.

I have an ARB winch bumper in the garage that will go on one of these weekends we are home, as well as some auxiliary lights. A Warn M8000 will be added when the bumper is installed. The idea here isn't for 'wheeling' but to protect the vehicle during travel on backroads at night, and to provide a means for self-recovery when in a pinch- I often travel solo with just my family.

In the works:

ARB Air Locker

Aluminess rear bumper with the box

On to the photos:
Stock, other than the box:

img0420ai.jpg

Lift and tires:

img0484d.jpg

My good friend has the exact same 4Runner, just without the V8....we put the same lifts on and helped each other out with them:
img0465.jpg

img0466s.jpg

img0464g.jpg

img0467e.jpg

img0468.jpg

ASFIR Skid:
img0513xl.jpg

IMG_1118.jpg

IBS Dual Battery and ARB Compressor:

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1114.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

Sliders:
IMG_1116.jpg

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Sliders are of the Trail Gear variety...but they were modified to fit on the 4th generation 4runner (Thanks, Willman!)

gr8wrk

Observer
Very nice start to your build, Roger. Is this 'Runner intended as a tow mule for your tent trailer? Also, I'm curious about the ASFIR aluminum skids. Have you ever had to "use" one seriously? Light wt. of aluminum would be great if it did the job. My needs are real similar to yours I think. They don't seem to be available for Tacos, but I've been thinking of fabbing one for a while. Keep us posted about this project as it goes along.

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
Good looking rig!
Thanks, it has been fun thus far...
Very nice start to your build, Roger. Is this 'Runner intended as a tow mule for your tent trailer? Also, I'm curious about the ASFIR aluminum skids. Have you ever had to "use" one seriously? Light wt. of aluminum would be great if it did the job. My needs are real similar to yours I think. They don't seem to be available for Tacos, but I've been thinking of fabbing one for a while. Keep us posted about this project as it goes along.

Lynn-

We actually sold the trailer a while back...it was great and went anywhere, but we want something that we can vagabond camp just about anywhere. Setting up a trailer discreetly is next to impossible. We are on the hunt for the right 2008+ Tundra with the 5.7 liter motor. We plan to add a Four Wheel Camper or preferably an All Terrain Camper to it for our family rig. In true vagabond spirit, we could camp in the camper without the top up, perhaps one or two of us inside the truck itself...

As for the ASFIR skid, it hasn't ever been hit. I have only just recently begun to take the 4runner on trips as I always used the landcruiser. For my needs (mild/moderate 4wd roads) I am confident it will do a better job than the stock setup and if I ever did hit it, it could handle it. Although it is aluminum, it is THICK and heavy. If I was making this truck a 'wheeler' a set of steel skids would have been in order.

Are you coming to Utah for an October trip this year?

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I'd feel better about the dual battery system if a saw a couple mo fuses under the hood.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I'd feel better about the dual battery system if a saw a couple mo fuses under the hood.

I know it...the fuse for the ARB Compressor, the relay, the 12v socket in the back, and the fuse for the monitor...perhaps we need 2-3 more to be sure?

gr8wrk

Observer
Oct. trip? Maybe. I have several things in mind, but time,money and my real life seem to get into the mix all the time. You have something in mind? One of the things I want to do is photograph Shamans Gallery. But while I'm up there....?

Utah KJ

Free State of Florida
I can't see a fuse on the main charge wire of the 2nd batt, some people say you don't need one but I dissagree. There also seems to be an 10 or 8 AWG wire off the primary batt going forward that seems to be unprotected.

I point this out only out of love.

Moody

Needs to get out more
I didn't install it...you will have to come by and give it a once over. I appreciate your love ;)

Moody

Needs to get out more
I have since added the ARB front bumper. It needs some final adjustments to get it just right, but I am confident it can handle a hit if the need arises.

In Bluff, UT with Chris (ckkone):

DSC_0439.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk