Mr Rooster-> 4th Gen 4Runner build

jmanderson

I just purchased my 3rd Gen 4Runner and I'll definitely looking for advise on what to do. Here is a pic of my 08 4Runner and my 01 4Runner. Picked up the 3rd Gen for dirt cheap and 80k miles. First thing I was looking to do is replace my Daystar spacer lift on the 08 with a 4" Toytec suspension lift and an 3" OME for the 01.

Attachments

• 20130805_212508.jpg
    20130805_212508.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20130805_212536.jpg
    20130805_212536.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 32

Lecoq

Explorer
Nice garage! Wish I could convince the wife on a 3rd Gen! If there's anything I've learned from both my build and my friend's 3rd gen build is that you should take the time to write up and plan on what you will be doing with the vehicle and buy parts accordingly. I'm on my second wheel and tire setup and my friend is on his 3rd. He's also on his 2nd suspension setup and I would be as well if I didn't buy the Coilovers. I'm looking at changing my roof rack setup for a full expedition rack to mount a RTT. It gets expensive when yo buy parts only to sell them a few months later to upgrade. That's where the planning ahead part comes in handy. Saves you money in the long run.

rickashay

Explorer
Nice garage! Wish I could convince the wife on a 3rd Gen! If there's anything I've learned from both my build and my friend's 3rd gen build is that you should take the time to write up and plan on what you will be doing with the vehicle and buy parts accordingly. I'm on my second wheel and tire setup and my friend is on his 3rd. He's also on his 2nd suspension setup and I would be as well if I didn't buy the Coilovers. I'm looking at changing my roof rack setup for a full expedition rack to mount a RTT. It gets expensive when yo buy parts only to sell them a few months later to upgrade. That's where the planning ahead part comes in handy. Saves you money in the long run.

Hey, nice wheels ;)

Truck is really coming together. I couldn't agree more with your above statements. My 3rd gen had 3 different suspension setups while I owned it and 4 wheel combos. With my Lexus, I'm just doing everything the way I want it straight from the get-go. My only compromise will be if I run a 35" tire for a year or two before going 37's... but that's just so I don't have to re-gear immediately, I've got too many other parts to buy right now!

Let's keep in touch about the roof rack. After having one of Josh's racks, I don't think I can have a built truck without one. So functional and damn, do they look good!

Lecoq

Explorer
Thanks Addison.

Is Josh building you a custom rack for your LC80? I emailed him about making a few changes on the 4th gen setup he offers. I loved the wheels on your Tundra. Thought I'd give them a shot, not regretting it so far.

stioc

Expedition Leader
The Duratracs are great tires and do well in the wider sizes- they also tend to run a wider tread than most tires for a given size. I liked them a lot and that's why I got them the second time too but for the terrain here the softer rubber and the 2ply sidewall just kept bothering me so I decided to go with the tire known for its durability. I almost got the Cooper ST Maxx but again I just chose to stick with the tried and true BFG AT.

rickashay

Explorer
Thanks Addison.

Is Josh building you a custom rack for your LC80? I emailed him about making a few changes on the 4th gen setup he offers. I loved the wheels on your Tundra. Thought I'd give them a shot, not regretting it so far.

HAs he gotten back to you yet? Yah, that's the plan for the 80. I need to get Josh some measurements and we are going to start going right away.

The Stealth 6's are wicked on the 4th gen's. I think you really made a good choice! We need to hit the trail sometime this season! I'll let you know if I am ever in Calgary and plan to go for a rip to Waiporous (spelling?) or McLean.

Lecoq

Explorer
Got some skid plates to replace the factory paper thin ones.

Also went to Montana for a weekend trip and drove the Going To The Sun road. That was amazing. Probably one of the nicer roads I've been on since the road to Hana in Maui. While we were there we did some camping and went to Whitefish, Kalispell and Flathead lake. All of which were great.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
Nice skid plates! I didn't know made a set for a 4runner, are they adapted from the prado 120 or fj?

Lecoq

Explorer
Yes, they are Prado/FJ "underbody protection" from ARB. They bolted right up with no issues at all.

Lecoq

Explorer
Video from last weekend. First time editing a movie and stuff... I had to put music on since the roof rack was so clunky and noisy. I'll re-position my GoPro next time for a better view.

Lecoq

Explorer
Here's another one from the same day when I killed my alternator by going in deep muddy water.

Lecoq

Explorer
I made some time to finally swap out the rear airbags for some coil springs. I heard stories of people blowing airbags on the trail and it's not something I wanted to deal with. So, for peace of mind I went ahead and got OME895 rear coils and upper coil isolators/bump stops from Toyota. Install was really easy and straight forward.

shmabs

Explorer
Is there something slightly askew with your exhaust in that second pic? Were the upper isolators a 4th gen part?

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy