My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Sooo jealous. I want lockers so bad. Happy for you man!:sombrero:

Thank you sir- and just for you I put this on:

FC076A63-F21A-439C-B1FD-1FFAB0FB3CF5-13930-000006E14451F776_zpsc8807dfc.jpg

:elkgrin:

OK so I felt I could justify a sticker now that the locker is fully operational and I've run out of things to do to it. Ok so I've run out of funds. The locker took a big bite out of the budget so I'm glad I got the locker last.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
I think it's time to give my review on the AC springs after switching over from the OME mediums. First reaction- what springs? :eek: they don't like to squish. If there's a dip, the wheels slam into it like a sledgehammer which means the valving on the KYB struts isn't easily able to control the spring rate. They're not hurting anything yet just the ride isn't as nice as it was with the OMEs. I'm happy that I got an additional 1"+ out of them though and I'm hoping they'll become just a tad more compliant over time.

I finally got the alignment done too. I adjusted the driver's side camber to zero which was the best I could do. On their setup it read 0.3 and they couldn't do any better than that. The camber bolt was already maxed out. The passenger side I was able to dial in about -1.0 deg camber which on their scale it read -1.2 so I had them bring that side closer to 0 to match the driver's side. Toe was of course not a problem. So here're the final specs:

Camber: +0.3 -0.6
Caster: +2.5 +2.3
Toe: 0.09

pathguy

I'd be curious to see whether there'd be any MPG difference once you'd run through a few tanks of gas with the new intake. Tracking mileage at all? Truck's looking sharp.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Another small mod:

9b7575e0-e0be-4b4d-8bd3-90e75b5ebaf9_zpse1a5f688.jpg

They're inexpensive Hella 500FF fog lights. I'll most likely upgrade them to something better but I'm not sure what. I'm not sold on the LED lighting yet, they produce a lot of light but the optics are not as good- they make up the definiciency by more adding lumens IMHO. They do draw a lot less power and that's the best part about them. For my purposes I need both the flood pattern as well as spot.

The last time when I unexpectedly found myself following the two other trucks in our group in front of me in the pitch darkness I realized a few things. One I had to keep a fair distance behind them because of the amount of dust that was getting kicked up it was unbelievable and quite blinding. Two, my fog lights despite a very short throw were helping me see dips and ditches much better than the headlights were. However, I was doing about 50mph to smooth out the washboard and the throw from the fog was way too short and a last minute twist of the steering wheel could easily put me into the side berm. So I think I need a flood sort of light that throws about 50-70ft and then a light that's like a spot light to help me peer into the black wall beyond the headlights for curves, a broken down truck or glowing eyes etc.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Nice mod! I'm interested in seeing what you pick, I'm in a similar boat, though I already ordered some surprise LEDs :ylsmoke:

If you want to keep the same classic off road light shape, the IPF 968 seems to be a good idea, but I've also heard from many that HIDs are the way to go for the situation you described, they sound like they throw far (depending on pattern), have low draw, and are now becoming relatively cheap.

Or you can always put a nice 40" LED bar on that ROLA rack of yours :) Or just settle for some LED pod lights haha

If you do decide on LEDs I know a guy who can get them extremely cheaply, if you don't mind not having the brand cache... the ones I ordered are spot and flood pattern, and sub $200.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
All good points, I started the thread in the General Vehicle Modification area to get some input but so far not a lot of info.

I've heard great things about the IPF968s because of the dual reflector which makes them a two in one light and I'd rather not add too many lights like a xmas tree. I did look at the Rigid Duallys in the flood pattern so I may go that route if the throw is far enough ahead. Or I may do both the 968s and the Dually pods. I just may say screw it and get the LightForce lights lol. On the other hand I keep thinking why so many positive reviews on the cheap Hella 500FF driving lights. The Hella fogs I have are ok but they seem like they're starving for juice or something; even at 55w the 16-18ga wiring is probably a bit too light (pun intended).

Lecoq

Explorer
ARB Intensity! Done.

Except for the $750 price tag...and the $80 wiring harness.

I'd love a set but I can't justify spending $1600 on 2 lights just yet. I had the Hella 500ff in my last Jeep and I was pretty disappointed with the light output. I know the price is right but I could hardly notice when they were on. The Rigids I'm using now are much brighter (just don't get the Amber flood ones,not bright enough). You can always get a flood/spot combo 6" or 10" bar. I think the Hanma ones are well under $100.

stioc

Expedition Leader
In the end I went with the IPF 968 as I'd originally planned to. I got them this week, and while I haven't wired them up I couldn't be happier with the purchase. They just *feel* a few notches above the Hellas in build quality and heft. Granted Hellas aren't bad lights- I've seen a rig with 4 Hellas 500FFs, two driving and two fog, and it was plenty of light. However, I have limited space and want to keep the bigger lights to a max of two and perhaps I could supplement with LED lights later on for a wider focus if needed. The 968s are designed to give both spot and peripheral lighting in off pavement conditions I may not need more lighting that that. I'll try to wire them up this weekend so I can use them on my Death Valley trip next week.

05E76130-59A8-44F3-BCC6-5BBAB900D6B4-21279-00000ACF471CEEA5_zps04dddb5d.jpg

Very different optics, IPF 968 left, Hella 500FF right:
74AEEBE1-ABA2-4144-823F-6C253BD43350-21279-00000ACFCF42AFBE_zps1be934ed.jpg

With rock guards:
A1E5EAB0-57AA-41EB-B0FE-986EA08BB8BF-21279-00000ACFC6A7DFDB_zps4d8946eb.jpg

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I like the look of the IPFs and your stock jeweled headlights very clean set-up. Looking forward to some pictures of your death valley trip. :smiley_drive:

kjp1969

Explorer
For a quick and clean wiring job, consider energizing your relay from the headlight hi-beam wire at the bulb. Hi-beams on = aux lights on. No wiring inside the cab and no unsightly switch on the dash. You'd lose the ability to run the aux lights independent of the headlights, but would you ever run them that way anyway?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy