My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

XPLORx4

Adventurer
Nice! That's nearly the same as what I did!

However, I personally would have run 10AWG or 8AWG, because there's a pretty big voltage drop in 19 feet of 12AWG when that compressor first powers up. If your fridge model has a low-voltage protection circuit, it *COULD* fault when your battery isn't 100% full. Something to look out for.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Nice! That's nearly the same as what I did!

That's because you gave me the idea lol

Excellent point on the voltage drop. According to the fridge manual max cable length for 12v, 12ga is 20ft so I'm just squeaking by. I also did some voltage drop calcs and here's what I got:

15amp @12v, 19ft cable:

8ga = 11.64v
10ga = 11.43v
12ga = 11.09v

So at 12ga the voltage drop is almost 1v. My fridge has three settings for low battery cut-off as follows:

High = 11.1v
Med = 10.1v
Low = 9.6v

I can't use High but Med (and Low) should be fine. Also that's at the full 15amps (fuse rating), the actual current draw is probably 10amps and only goes close to 15amp when the compressor kicks in. On the other hand as you said the battery isn't always at 12v either but hopefully it all balances out and works. The short version: 12awg was on hand 10awg required driving to Radioshack lol

Last edited:

ih8philly

Adventurer
My truck won the 'May 2013 NPORA Truck of the month' award. I'll tell ya the guys were too generous because there are some nice Pathfinders on that forum- as you'll see for yourself some of the other winners at the link above. But I'm happy to get the bragging rights :p

It's been a fun journey thanks to everyone that posted here for the encouragement and those that offered suggestions and advice. Of course, I must also thank my two financial sponsors...Checking and Savings :elkgrin:

Congrats on the recognition!

quaintbucket

Observer
Just came back to check on how things are going! Nice job on the progress but you definitely need to push your confidence up to tackle those trails. :)

One daughter later, I'm back to looking at my truck to try to get started on it. With a lot of careful consideration, I know I'm not looking for a rockcrawler now (although it would make fishing expedition a lot easier but that's what my brother in laws truck is for lol) but an expo rig to tackle the woods and go deep enough for camping and hunting.

Congrats on your recognition! I need to make my thread pretty soon.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the kind words guys.

@quaintbucket, congrats on the little one! :friday: An expo rig makes even more sense now :)

So updates on the truck you ask? Hmm...does anything look different to you guys? :ylsmoke:

A5444EBD-4F33-47F3-B68C-E3699CC927D8-14250-0000069619E7E67F_zpsa944a799.jpg

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Sure looks like it

They looK great (definitely not too skinny).

Duratracs again? Hard to tell from my phone screen

stioc

Expedition Leader
Dang, I'm impressed. Nothing gets past you guys unnoticed! :)

Yes, the training wheels are off and the pizza cutters are on- Duratracs again.

235 vs 245
2863C196-05FD-4EA2-B31F-8D0FEF5AD726-14250-0000069630BC665B_zpsebe45ec6.jpg

The width, 235 vs. 245
9909AF9B-1C09-4216-A49A-64FC0C25C6E3-14250-0000069622D02857_zps51a7e266.jpg

There were a few reasons for the upgrade. One I wanted a bit more clearance, and it seems even in the Expo world 32s are the bare minimums while most people here are running 33s on their FJs, 4Runners, Monteros etc which I thought about but would've required too much trimming of the front bumper, fender flares and potential gearing change. Also, the C load Duratracs have very soft sidewalls, almost like the P rated tires and for the harsh desert and rocky env here I wanted the extra protection vs more width (265s). The 235s also have less rolling resistance than a wider tire. I intended to go with a different tire and considered the Cooper STT or Firestone Destination MTs which are excellent tires and better than KM2s but the price and the fact that Duratracs are an awesome all-terrain, they're snowflake rated and have phenomenal traction I decided to stick with them. The downside is that I believe they tend to run smaller than the advertised height vs other brands. I don't know if this is just the Duratracs but my 245/75/16s in real life were only 29.5" tall vs. 30.4" advertised size. I was really hoping the 235s would be very close to the advertised 31.7" but they're not, they're just a touch under 31", let's call it 30.9". Compared to say the BFG ATs which Mortonm I believe you said yours were 31.4"? I know it's splitting hairs but I wanted to throw this out there and I'm curious if it's just the Duratracs that tend to run almost an inch shorter than the advertised size or if most tires are the same way +/- .5"? All in all, I gained .75"+ from the ground to the edge of the fender over the last set so I'm happy about that.

I've only driven on them 5 or 6 miles so I can't say much about the driving difference but so far I haven't noticed anything obvious other than the turn-in feels better and the truck doesn't lean into the corners like it did with the soft C load Duratracs. I haven't noticed any drop in the power or even braking with the larger and heavier tire so far, the truck doesn't seem to care. The shop filled them up to 36psi but I'm thinking 40psi is probably what I'd want on the streets/highway?

I'll see how they do on the highway this weekend- we're going camping (not offroading).

Cost? About $200 out of pocket after selling the previous set and a couple of other small items that were collecting dust :ylsmoke:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Oh and come on, how come you guys didn't see my awesome window vent visors?

Don't get them... :smilies27

mortonm

Expedition Leader
i don't remember exactly, but I think they were just shy of 31.5 as you mentioned, I am away for work but I can give them another measure this weekend, I have about 20,000 miles on them now

$50 a corner seems like a pretty good upgrade.

did you also get a spare?

stioc

Expedition Leader
i don't remember exactly, but I think they were just shy of 31.5 as you mentioned, I am away for work but I can give them another measure this weekend, I have about 20,000 miles on them now

$50 a corner seems like a pretty good upgrade.

did you also get a spare?

Thanks man. I'll measure them again with a higher tire pressure.

I didn't get a spare. I don't think it'll fit in the stock location.

I was going to say the lights on the front. Dont remember those.

Ha, no those have been on there for a while now :)

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Thanks man. I'll measure them again with a higher tire pressure.

I didn't get a spare. I don't think it'll fit in the stock location.

Ha, no those have been on there for a while now :)

My spare doesn't fit either, I think if I had the 2002 + models with the larger stock tires (265 70 R16 vs 255 65 R16) it would have.

I run a slightly smaller spare (245 75) for daily use and toss the full size on the roof for trips.

I'm running about 45 psi on the street.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad