My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Dmski

Adventurer
Another question for you stoic. Do you still sleep in the car and if so how do you do it now with your storage platform sitting there? You've inspired me to build a setup pretty much identical to yours in my Xterra, but with a hinged piece of plywood that would lay on itself and be used to sleep on when fully pulled out. Not sure if it would work since I haven't measured everything, but I need something to hide stuff from prying eyes and to be more organized. I'm tired of hearing things shift while driving...

stioc

Expedition Leader
I don't see any reason why a piece of plywood on a piano hinge won't work provided you have some support/legs etc for it. I think it'll work great, you should check out the 'Storage' section of this board to get even more ideas.

Personally though I only slept in the truck once and decided it wasn't for me. While it was convenient not having to pitch a tent but with it also came a few drawbacks. The vertical space was too limited (I'm 6ft) so even sitting up on the sleeping platform wasn't possible. Second, sleeping inside that one night when it dipped down to temps I don't care to remember the truck provided no warmth. With all the glass and metal it felt like I was sleeping in a freezer. Also, even with one of the windows slightly cracked it fogged up inside pretty badly. I barely slept all night.

While I gave up on the idea of sleeping in the truck it does work for a lot of people and especially in bad weather (rain/storm) I could see it being a great option over a tent. Where I am though I'm happy to spend 10-20mins to setup/breakdown the tent. In fact, I'm going to get a larger tent so I can stand up in it for even more convenience.

Storage platform though, I'll be a broken record and repea-pea-peat - one of the most useful mods I've done to the truck :)

Shanfari

DhofarX.com
Like your taillight guards! Might copy that :)

I'm thinking of upgrading my headlights to some bright, projector HID's too. Yours perform great ^_*

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I can see why you'd find sleeping in the truck uncomfortable. I'm 6' as well, and I tried building a platform in my old Disco. Worked fairly well, but you couldn't sit up, even with the tall profile of the Land Rover. Made getting in and out awkward, and it felt too much like a coffin for my liking. The only vehicle I could see doing a setup like that in is a 70 Series LC Troopy. Those are massive inside.

And it's colder than most people would think. Sure, it keeps the heat in better than a tent, but once that's gone in an hour, it does a great job at keeping the cold in too. Unless you want to get up every hour to get the heat blowing. No thanks.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Another quick test of the IPF HIDs. The test was done by parking on a dark dirt trail, first with the OEM low-beams and the next with the IPF HIDs:

This is all I would be seeing with the OEM headlights about 60-80ft directly in front of me. Probably 10-15mph max because any more would be dangerous in case there's a big rut, washout or a cow just beyond the headlights:
62275021-F116-4211-81B1-4754389B607D_zpsrbs98je3.jpg

Here's what I would see with the IPFs, good distance but also good peripheral vision:
AEC0824F-3F1A-417F-82EA-80FE86159942_zpsjwvrvqgg.jpg

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys, until you turn them off you don't realize just how much light they throw out there. They really make driving in the dark less stressful, I'm very pleased with them.

@Allof75, yes Holy Jim!

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Dayum! That extra light sure does look like it's handy. There's no substitute for being able to see for a long ways on a dark road. Extra driving lights have saved me from many a deer in previous rigs.

stioc

Expedition Leader
No worries about blinding others I mostly use them to signal the airliners for landing or to beacon home the naval vessels :D and sometimes for off-road use :)

richard310

pew pew
Nice. The extra lighting makes driving at night that much more enjoyable.

Btw, does that trailhead close at a certain time? I'm always out of luck trying different entrances at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad