My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

richard310

pew pew
Nice. Any room to mount a second one next to it? It definitely wouldn't hurt to do so.

Getting ready for that DV trip eh? It doesn't look like I'll be making that one as the truck's not at that point yet unless a miracle happens. The extra fuel rigs will definitely be needed on a trip like that.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Very cool, I think TheExBrit has a Taurus fan, something to consider if you need an upgrade. I've had zero cooling issues myself, though I think a tranny cooler was added for the 02, so maybe less strain.

rgallant

Adventurer
Nice setup, not enough extra gas for me - I carry about 40 liters inside, no fume or leak issues so far. I have been looking for a better method though, I need to carry a full tank's worth and inside is not really viable.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Very cool, I think TheExBrit has a Taurus fan, something to consider if you need an upgrade. I've had zero cooling issues myself, though I think a tranny cooler was added for the 02, so maybe less strain.

Thanks but I think theexbrit replaced his mechanical fan with an electric one. The one I added simply supplements the mechanical fan.

The transmission oil is cooled by the radiator, are you saying starting with the '02 they added a separate trans oil cooler? I wasn't aware of that.

Nice setup, not enough extra gas for me - I carry about 40 liters inside, no fume or leak issues so far. I have been looking for a better method though, I need to carry a full tank's worth and inside is not really viable.

Thanks...but I'm curious what makes you require more than 10.5gal of extra fuel? in the US at least I feel I'm always within 100 miles of a gas station so having a 300ish mile range has been quite adequate.

Nice. Any room to mount a second one next to it? It definitely wouldn't hurt to do so.

Getting ready for that DV trip eh? It doesn't look like I'll be making that one as the truck's not at that point yet unless a miracle happens. The extra fuel rigs will definitely be needed on a trip like that.

Yeah I could add a second fan next to it which is why I got a small fan rather than a big one.

Bummer about not being able to make the trip to DV, what does your truck need?

Allof75

Pathfinder
Thanks but I think theexbrit replaced his mechanical fan with an electric one. The one I added simply supplements the mechanical fan.

The transmission oil is cooled by the radiator, are you saying starting with the '02 they added a separate trans oil cooler? I wasn't aware of that

Oh i gotcha, I misread haha. And yes I believe so, as it comes up in the options list for 02s and was designed to eliminate the tranny cooling issues which the first VQs experienced.

rgallant

Adventurer
BC - you get out in the remote areas gas stations "if" there are any are open random hours. I go pretty far a field, and drive along ways to get to an isolated lake to fish, my worst case was about 385K before reaching pavement then another 50 to a gas station and I only get about 420-430K to a tank. Topped up at 350 but I like the buffer. This year is either Vancouver to Jasper via FSR or up the coast either way it can be a while between gas stations, and getting into those small lakes can use up the fuel. Having a tank of fuel on board just makes me feel a wee bit more comfortable. Beside you get far enough a field up here and roads just end bridges are gone , landslides etc and you know the rule near the far end where you have to back track for a few hours.

To be honest 40 liters has always been enough and I plan my trips with my pathfinder's range in mind, but I hit some pretty bad stretches that would have been turn around's if they had been any worse last year at just about 1/2 a tank, so just thinking ahead.

richard310

pew pew
Bummer about not being able to make the trip to DV, what does your truck need?

New shocks front and rear, replace the rear brake pads (they're actually sitting in my garage. Too lazy to do it), rear tire carrier and multiple jerry cans. Time and money are tight right now but I may pull something off right at the last minute.

stioc

Expedition Leader
@rgallant, I see what you mean. So far I have found the fuel capacity + 25liters spare to be plenty for the furthest trails I've done thus far but if you have the room and carrying capacity a little more is always better than a little less when the need arises.

@Richard, I hear you man- time and money is what it always boils down to. If not this trip hope to see you on another one soon.

richard310

pew pew
@Richard, I hear you man- time and money is what it always boils down to. If not this trip hope to see you on another one soon.

It's a painful combination, but I'll be pushing for it and also if the other half is up for it as well. She did say possibly yes...

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
Are you still running the wheel spacers? If so, how are they holding up? When I go to the 32" tires it would be nice to stick them out slightly but still be able to tuck them under the fender. What size would be good for that? 1"? Much appreciated.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Good question, I'm using 1" spacers. They've messed up my fender flares despite the judicious trimming. When you get into real technical stuff that rear axle flexes like no one's business and as a result taller tires hit the fender flares. Most people eventually take the flares off.

RyIrish

Hey Everyone I'm new but hope to be on here a lot. I'm going to start to build my 01 SE very very soon. because off you guys. So thanks:smiley_drive:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad