My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Welcome RyIrish. I haven't been here in a couple of weeks and was in DV earlier this weekend with several folks from both SoCal and NorCal.

A quick trip report from the trip. I only did two full days as opposed to the planned 4 days by the group but we covered a lot of ground on the first two days and I got to see the part of DV I hadn't before. Thu evening we arrived at the Pinnacles and camped there for the night. Fri we ran Pleasant Canyon starting at Ballarat. The trail had everything from long winding inclines to a few technical passes to lots of narrow passings through the desert bushes which continuously scraped paint and kissed roof racks. We successfully negotiated a narrow bridge and the turn before the bridge and made our way down to see the Briggs cabin which was quite nice. We started making our way out to Golar Wash as the sun was setting. Needless to say we ran late and made the decision to camp just before Mengel Pass as it was too sketchy to pass in the dark and most of us were feeling pretty beat. Kirk and Nick went back into town and to send the word to the Fri group of the schedule delay. The next morning (Sat) I assessed the truck and found both of my CV boots had split and were leaking grease pretty much everywhere under there. I guess the constant up and down on the trail in 4wd (and 4lo) pretty much the whole trail they gave up. Decided to duct tape (Dennis thanks for the duct tape) them to hold whatever grease was left in there and run Mengel pass. It started out easy but had a few technical sections. One of which claimed my plastic hubcap from getting the wheel a bit too close to a large rock. That was the only bang/hit carnage on my truck despite being the only guy on anything less than 33" tires. Interestingly enough I heard several bangs and scrapes from some other trucks with larger tires and more ground clearance. After Mengel pass we stopped at the Geologist cabin and headed to Warm Springs. After warm springs I decided to call it a weekend and head home once we hit West Side Road since we'd done that part of DV before. The group continued up towards Furnace Creek to meet up with the rest of the group. We bid our farewells on the CB and headed home. Great weather, friendly folks, good camping, moonlit nights - couldn't have been a better trip!

The truck worked great other than the CV boots but what do you expect from 13+yr old rubber boots- no big deal. The gas can carrier worked perfectly without ever scraping etc. The fridge slide, the quick pullout table in the storage platform were used extensively and even to my own surprise they worked flawlessly. I did notice the gas tank once again had a lot of pressure after running for a while, if I attempted to loosen the gas cap the gas would start pouring out. I need to track this down, fix the CV boots and at some point fix the oil leak I talked about previously and I think that's about it.

Camping at Trona Pinnacles (Cannon S100, Aperture priority, 10sec exposure - the rest are iPhone 5S pics):
IMG_2739cSmall_zps706f3acd.jpg

IMG_1795Small_zps645b05f6.jpg

IMG_2778Small_zps3c5e6609.jpg

Ballarat:
IMG_1835Small_zps47d84a5f.jpg

The most photographed PowerWagon:
IMG_1839Small_zps5c2d75f5.jpg

Pleasant Canyon's narrow trail picking up lots of pinstriping:
IMG_1882Small_zpsa95df720.jpg

A couple of moderate level obstacles due to steep drop and sketchy trail near the edge:
IMG_2008Small_zps6ab5a66d.jpg

IMG_2009Small_zpsbc3c554a.jpg

Bridge near Briggs Cabin:
IMG_2029Small_zpsefeade17.jpg

Briggs cabin:
IMG_2053Small_zps408aeb99.jpg

Making our way down to Golar Wash:
IMG_2093Small_zps478f25bf.jpg

Charles Manson's hideout:
IMG_2128Small_zpsca1e6229.jpg

Butte Valley:
IMG_2205Small_zpsd5d0de96.jpg

Geologist cabin:
IMG_2198Small_zps484ae79b.jpg

Last edited:

Dmski

Adventurer
Wow what a cool trip! too bad on the CV's but like you said they are a little older. You are lifted as well which puts more strain on them. Luckily they aren't too expensive on Rockauto.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yeah I read the Germans' search story about two years or so ago too and it's always in the back of my mind when I'm out there. You're right, they visited Warm Springs (reverse direction of our trip) and then went to Mengel Pass. Here's what it says about the visitor log entry they signed saying they were going towards the pass: "The pass referred to in the [Warm Springs] log book entry was almost certainly Mengle Pass, located a few miles from Anvil Canyon at the southwesterly end of Butte Valley, and the only means by which to cross the Panamint Mountain range for many miles. However it is an extremely rugged route, traversable by only the most competent 4wd vehicle and driver. It would be impassable for a vehicle such as the Germans were driving". Unfortunately they never made it (they couldn't have anyway) and their van was found around Striped Butte. The dirt road from warm springs and through Butte Valley and on to Mengle Pass is very rocky, you don't need 4wd until you get near Mengel Pass but you need strong tires. "Striped Butte, where the van was found. Inman said the van's tires had cut about 200 feet of deep tracks into the sand, indicating the vehicle had been driven with flat rear tires. "Both rear tires were gouged, punctured and ruined," he wrote in his report. "The front right tire was completely flat, and the bead separated from the rim. Both front tires were very abraded from spinning in the rough gravel." So tragic but had they stayed on the main trail they would've been found as it's well traveled, especially on weekends :(

To make me freak out even more as we were camped at the end of Golar Wash on Fri night I got up at 2am to take the dog out and see if he needed to go. As we were walking around and I was enjoying the bright moon light, quietness and a gentle breeze I heard a car driving up towards us. As it got closer it seemed it was a 2nd gen Xterra, had a couple of extra lights on. It was coming right towards us and at a pretty good clip. The dog at this point was also not sure what to think. However, about a 1000ft away it turned left and headed straight up towards Barker Ranch/Mengel Pass/Warm Springs. I stood there watching it go up the hill with the rocks clanking and smashing under his tires the SUV bouncing up and down as it went up the hill at a hurried pace. It was bizzare. I looked for it the next morning expecting to find it broken down or stuck but never saw anything. I would not attempt that pass after dark even with another vehicle let alone by myself.

@Dmiski, I'll have to check out how much they are. I'll probably just clean and replace the boots and may be buy a new CV as a spare. I'm hoping I can find some silicon boots so they last longer but not sure if anyone makes them for my truck.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Things can go wrong fast

Obviously you didn't find it the next morning, Xterras never get stuck nor do they break down :sombrero:

But seriously that would have been weird to see in the middle of the night

Allof75

Pathfinder
The Xterra was probably my buddy Zoltan wandering the deserts..... :sombrero:

Anyway, nice trip writeup.

richard310

pew pew
Man that looked like a lot of fun! I really wish I went. I'll have to find the time to get out on the next few outings and get my truck ready for it!

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Did you order them up? I now have a torn boot. So was going to order this week.
Which grease is recommended to repack them with?
Was thinking that blue marine grease as it works with just about everything and is very water resistant. Especially for me down here where I have to ford water quite a bit.

Sent from my Moto X

stioc

Expedition Leader
I haven't done anything yet, I'm just been too busy with work etc lately. However, my plan is to just buy two CV half shafts from OReilly etc and be done in one afternoon. I believe a few people have done this on NPORA and didn't have any problems.

I'll probably hang on to my old 'core' until I'm satisfied or may even rebuild them later when I have the time.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Bit the bullet and got the axles. Replaced the driver side one yesterday along with installing the 1" NX4 aluminum strut spacers the front and fluery's plastic spacers in the back, ran out of time so still have to do the passenger side.

I can't be too sure but it just seemed harder to spin the wheel on the driver's side - which makes no sense or at least a cv axle shouldn't cause that even if it was binding. I guess I have to finish the passenger side and do a test run.

EBEF32F2-423D-4A80-BEB0-AFEDA01B7C35_zpscj8begaz.jpg

F31384A0-8469-4FB1-B654-C1C6527A9B89_zps2enb4udy.jpg

6457E04B-D2A8-4CE9-8864-3A9DDE13A32A_zpsvrwctsqg.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad