My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

mortonm

Expedition Leader
Great tire! zero regrets with the BFG ATs after a not so great personal experience with the DuraTracs. I'll be sticking with the BFGs next time around too unless there's a compelling reason to switch to something else (perhaps KM2s).

Why did you sell the Pathy? Nice truck though!

Likewise, I love my BFG ATs, in fact I have the exact same tire as stioc. Later this year BFG is supposed to release the BFG KO2, and updated version of their classic AT

Allof75

Pathfinder
Great tire! zero regrets with the BFG ATs after a not so great personal experience with the DuraTracs. I'll be sticking with the BFGs next time around too unless there's a compelling reason to switch to something else (perhaps KM2s).

Why did you sell the Pathy? Nice truck though!

Can you refresh me, what was wrong with the duratracs?

stioc

Expedition Leader
Weak sidewalls. The ones that I had got several sidewall cuts and gouges from a single trip to Death Valley. When I felt the sidewalls by hand after taking them off they felt really surprisingly thin and soft compared to the BFG ATs. Additionally the handling on the road was sloppy again because the sidewalls would flex too much in even gentle cornering. May be they've improved them now but I've never had good luck with Good Years even on my cars. YMMV.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Weak sidewalls. The ones that I had got several sidewall cuts and gouges from a single trip to Death Valley. When I felt the sidewalls by hand after taking them off they felt really surprisingly thin and soft compared to the BFG ATs. Additionally the handling on the road was sloppy again because the sidewalls would flex too much in even gentle cornering. May be they've improved them now but I've never had good luck with Good Years even on my cars. YMMV.

Interesting, I definitely know what you mean, they're a pretty soft compound.... Glad to hear you like the BFGs, I'm thinking of those as my next tire if they don't mess it up too much with the next gen.

mastersryan

Adventurer
I traded my pathfinder in because it was time to move on. It was starting to fall apart in some areas and had 147,xxx miles on it and the gas mileage was horrible. I had some money saved for awhile for a new vehicle just was unsure of what I really wanted to get. I stumbled into a great deal on the truck I had my eyes on and went in for it, the dealer gave me more then what I was asking for my Pathfinder and before I knew it I was driving home in my new truck. In my mind it was a HUGE upgrade and is a nice platform for me to build on in the future, as of right now it's pretty capable in stock form I just need some nice tires. I love the 36gal fuel tank and the 21mpg's on the HWY plus this truck has more interior and storage room then the pathfinder.

I do miss my pathfinder though it was a great vehicle and I love following the small group on this forum that has them. Maybe when I am out west a couple of us will be able to meet up along the way!

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
The spacers gave me the exact lift I expected. I got 0.6" lift in the front compared to before because I was already running a pair of 3/8" spacers before so removing those and adding the 1" spacers gave me 0.6". However, since I didn't run any spacers in the back before I got the full 1" lift from the added spacer.

Removing the flares is a good option but I like the understated looks with the flares :) In fact, I might buy another set since mine are getting a bit chewed up :)

Do you by chance have measurements from ground to fender flare going through the center cap of the tires? I didn't know they made a spacer for the rear and may look into it with the weight of the bumper back there.

richard310

pew pew
I love the 36gal fuel tank and the 21mpg's on the HWY plus this truck has more interior and storage room then the pathfinder.

That's one thing the Americans got right with their trucks. BIG fuel tanks. Hell even multiple fuel tanks, not these crappy single small capacity tanks. Not everyone lives on an island! Too bad interior craftsmanship is shoddy with domestics. You'd think they'd learn from the Europeans/Japanese and vice versa in regards to fuel tank.

Weekender41

Ready to Learn
That's one thing the Americans got right with their trucks. BIG fuel tanks. Hell even multiple fuel tanks, not these crappy single small capacity tanks. Not everyone lives on an island! Too bad interior craftsmanship is shoddy with domestics. You'd think they'd learn from the Europeans/Japanese and vice versa in regards to fuel tank.

Haha yeah going from dual 18 gallon tanks on the truck to a 21 gallon tank on the Pathfinder was an adjustment, if I remember though, Stioc was seeming to get pretty good mileage considering what he has done to it.

Allof75

Pathfinder

I think Simone needs to go look at a new 2014 Ram or Chevy truck interior... :) Puts the titan/tundra to shame.

mastersryan

Adventurer
Even if the Pathy had a bigger fuel tank it would still suck down the gas. It's amazing how upgrading to a newer vehicle changes so much including the mpg's. I love having the power I have and getting way more mpg's while doing it.

stioc

Expedition Leader
@mastersryan, congrats! Good choice, got a build thread for it yet? :)

Ok back on-topic...

Do you by chance have measurements from ground to fender flare going through the center cap of the tires? I didn't know they made a spacer for the rear and may look into it with the weight of the bumper back there.

The rear measurements are 36.5" drivers side and 36.25" on passenger side. Keep in mind I have 32" tires, factory hitch, storage platform and about 50lbs of stuff in the storage platform.

richard310

pew pew
I think Simone needs to go look at a new 2014 Ram or Chevy truck interior... :) Puts the titan/tundra to shame.

I'll save that for a later date when things start to break and come loose. It may look great and all but it really comes down to longevity, which I have yet to see from domestics. A coworker of mine has a newer dodge dakota and he's wanting something better built as the interior is already falling apart. Even the latest Toyotas being built here are junk. Take it back to Japan where QC is everything.

/end rant. :D

Allof75

Pathfinder
I'll save that for a later date when things start to break and come loose. It may look great and all but it really comes down to longevity, which I have yet to see from domestics. A coworker of mine has a newer dodge dakota and he's wanting something better built as the interior is already falling apart. Even the latest Toyotas being built here are junk. Take it back to Japan where QC is everything.

/end rant. :D

Dakotas have been the same since 2005, not a good time for domestics, but ok, to each their own.

Sorry to derail your thread there Stioc, while you're measuring things, would you mind grabbing the length between your front and rear hubs? I'm trying to figure out if my wheelbase is somehow off...

mastersryan

Adventurer
No build thread yet.. It's going to be very slow but I have I some basic plans for it and have started to upgrade slowly. Once I get some decent progress I will make one but as of right now it's nothing special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad