My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

Lecoq

Explorer
Every setup has pros and cons. It's hard to find something that works with every situation. I love how you managed to keep everything simple. Makes want to build my R50 QX4...I'll show this thread to the wife and try to get approval lol.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
tristan- I know you directed your question to stioc, but I have experience running a Waeco Coolmatic 40-liter fridge set to 37°F with a Diehard Platinum. The fridge is very efficient, so it doesn't draw much power.

Even though I have a dual-battery setup (Diehard as main battery, Odyssey PC680 as emergency), I find that I rarely run down the Diehard enough to need the Odyssey over the course of a 3-day weekend of remote camping. It helps that ambient temps are usually below 85°F where I camp, my rig is painted white (so the interior stays cooler), and I try to park in a shady place when possible.

tristan1035

Thank you very much then, I'll end up going to a dual battery set-up sooner or later but it's quite hard to have all the funds for the fridge, shocks, struts, tent, so on and so forth. And it's really getting hard with the Canadian Dollar ****ting the bed so hard.

XPLORx4

Adventurer
FWIW, you don't need an expensive dual-battery setup to run a fridge. I now carry a Pilot Instaboost with me in my '05 Sequoia that is not dual-battery-equipped. It's amazing. I have used to to start several times with a nearly flat main battery.

Prioritize your expedition equipment desires and take baby steps. Maybe the Instaboost is an excellent alternative.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks guys for the comments, questions and answers :) been traveling, work's keeping me on my toes.

^x2 - you don't need dual batteries unless you're camping in one place for extended periods of time. Longest I've stayed put is two nights and had no problems with the battery (I keep the fridge set to cut-off when the voltage is too low, I have it set to the medium voltage setting).

stioc

Expedition Leader
An impromptu wheeling trip. My neighbor recently picked up a 2003 Pathfinder after watching mine over the past 3 years (this build thread is 3 years old now, time flies!). He's been going up to the Holy Jim trail which is about 15mins from the house. The main Holy Jim trail is basically a dirt-road but the spurs can be mild-to-wild in terms of the challenge. He told me about one section of the trail (majority of which I'd done but not all the way to the top) where he said he just can't get up and over due to big ruts, he's been up there 4 times and it's that one section towards the end of the trail that stops him every time. Knowing that trail I knew it's very narrow in places (can't even get a full size truck up some sections), lots of ruts and gullies and a handful of trucks have in fact rolled over and fallen off the cliffs so I was already pretty impressed that he could get as far up with a completely stock Pathy on new but stock sized Cooper tires. So after he put his lift on we decided to go up there together despite being a fairly hot day today.

The subjects:
IMG_2755%20Custom_zpsqqrrv1ug.jpg

IMG_2756%20Custom_zpsbcuyw96w.jpg

The general trail area:
IMG_2762%20Custom_zpsgi7sepr0.jpg

Amazing what a Pathfinder with 2" lift can do even with stock tires:
IMG_2759%20Custom_zpsqrdqpt98.jpg

New to offroading but already catching 4ft of air :Wow1:
IMG_2744%20Custom_zpsbubpdjmr.jpg

Of course, I have to follow:

IMG_2750%20Custom_zpseknrkgb7.jpg

IMG_2751%20Custom_zpswae0k1kt.jpg

IMG_2752%20Custom_zps6nenfpy5.jpg

to be contd...

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
So after some ways up we get to the "problem section". Again, I'm thoroughly impressed that the stock pathfinder even made it up this far, honestly I even had to hit the locker switch once along the way (lazy to try a different line I suppose but still). So here's the truck the bottom of the switchback, as usual it doesn't look like much in the pictures but it's pretty steep and has some fairly nastly ruts with loose dirt. With the locker engaged I hit the gas pedal with the truck sometimes teetering on 3 tires but I need that momentum.

IMG_2722%20Custom_zpsconzuvdt.jpg

IMG_2726%20Custom_zpsqjhrgcoy.jpg

IMG_2728%20Custom_zpsjcjydnyf.jpg

I almost made it up but got stopped by a large rock. It was the only obstacle at this point between me and the top of this switchback (no idea what's after the top, I think the trail ends soon after but I don't know for sure). I made several attempts:

IMG_2735%20Custom_zpsviad8se7.jpg

IMG_2733%20Custom_zpstq1gg4jk.jpg

IMG_2731%20Custom_zpsntudzihx.jpg

It doesn't seem that way but there was no other way to get up without having to drive the driver's side tire over this 2.5ft rock...without damaging the truck. A couple of times I came close to getting the tire on top but the front tires had very little traction and the rears were digging into the dirt and shoveling it out the back. I even threw my traction boards under the rear tires but no go. After several attempts I decided to throw in the towel before I broke something- by this time I had already rammed into the rock fairly hard once.

Anyway, we decided to turn around and go and play in a couple of other areas of Holy Jim and then drove home. While I couldn't conquer that rock but it felt good to get out and play in the dirt especially with another Pathy. My neighbor is now ordering a roof-rack, possibly KM2s and building a rear bumper like mine too, I'm looking forward to seeing his progress. In hindsight, had I tried the traction board under the passenger front tire it coulda, woulda, shoulda helped more...

IMG_2763%20Custom_zpszhld4ekk.jpg

IMG_2764%20Custom_zps07e6mcfw.jpg

Last edited:

duke90

Adventurer
That trail is near my house too. I'm curious to see if my front lokka might have helped get the truck over the rock...might need to go try it out this weekend.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Yes, the front locker should definitely help as will 35" tires in this case but be careful man- the angles you're dealing with are pretty steep on a narrow shelf road. I personally would use a winch to anchor the truck though I'm not even sure if there are good anchor points there. When are you planning to go I may have time Sat afternoon.

chmura

Adventurer
Looks like good times! Where is the start of the trail head to this particular trail?

I need to run some local trails. I have not taken my rig out for 4.5 months now!

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
I know what you mean brother. So the trail is called Holy Jim, you can access it a couple of ways but it's off Trabuco Canyon Rd from where you turn on to Trabuco Creek Rd, pass the small RC plane airport on the right and then a little further up on your left is the entrance. I think this is the exact trail and the switchback where I had to turn around: https://goo.gl/maps/2d849

Be very cautious though, in some areas there's no room for error. The trail is washed out in places where dropping a tire off is a possibility if you're not paying attention and could have...well, lethal results. Also letting other vehicles pass is pretty much impossible without backing up to a wider spot, on a couple of switchbacks you have to make a multi-point turn just to make the turn. I wouldn't recommend a truck any larger than your 4Runner/LC either. Actually, two years ago I ran this very trail with a few guys from here - it was on the technical side even then but at least we made it to the top: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...uco-Creek-Trail-run-Sat-July-13-12-noon/page3

Allof75

Pathfinder
Cool! Good to see you still running out there. I bet the recent rains have torn it up a bit even more. I've been sticking to Main Divide lately when I go wheeling locally, as you know it's more scenic and has less guys who think they're prerunning on the main trail at least. That said, that side trail looks like a lot of fun, and good for you for getting another pathfinder owner out there!

chmura

Adventurer
I know what you mean brother. So the trail is called Holy Jim, you can access it a couple of ways but it's off Trabuco Canyon Rd from where you turn on to Trabuco Creek Rd, pass the small RC plane airport on the right and then a little further up on your left is the entrance. I think this is the exact trail and the switchback where I had to turn around: https://goo.gl/maps/2d849

Be very cautious though, in some areas there's no room for error. The trail is washed out in places where dropping a tire off is a possibility if you're not paying attention and could have...well, lethal results. Also letting other vehicles pass is pretty much impossible without backing up to a wider spot, on a couple of switchbacks you have to make a multi-point turn just to make the turn. I wouldn't recommend a truck any larger than your 4Runner/LC either. Actually, two years ago I ran this very trail with a few guys from here - it was on the technical side even then but at least we made it to the top: http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...uco-Creek-Trail-run-Sat-July-13-12-noon/page3

Thanks for the tip and trail head coordinates! I remember that post from years ago. Time does fly...

Next time you venture out there give me a ring!

stioc

Expedition Leader
Sounds good...will post in the CA section if I plan to head out there again (with advanced notice). A quick weekend project to see why I'm getting the weird handling issue:

1. Motor mounts - check, didn't see any movement
2. Install KR fab panhard drop bracket - with almost a 3" lift I figured this might be the reason so I ordered the bracket some time ago just hadn't had a chance to install it. It took a couple of hours to install as it required some trimming/cutting etc. Unfortunately it didn't help either.
3. I even took off the wheel and the hi-lift from the back thinking that it might be because of some weird angle and weight of the tire with a higher center of gravity. Results: in-conclusive because while it did seem less pronounced I didn't get a chance to drive the truck at a higher speed through a sweeper (above 50mph when it happens everytime).

So it mainly happens when turning left (weight on the right front tire)- what happens is when I lift off the gas in mid-turn the truck takes two quick back to back sets, one from the weight shifting forward which is normal for any car and then an instantaneous side to side movement, it feels like the right front tire (in left hand turn) tucks in. Since it happens on the left hand turns primarily I'm starting to think if the side to side movement I feel is actually the right front strut compressing and uncompressing (not able to control the AC spring) quickly. The struts are 3 yrs old with lots of washboard miles on them and they do have a reputation for failing more frequently with the AC springs.

IMG_6806_zpsdkv14nl2.jpg

IMG_6805_zpszhcrzpy0.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalewelsh