My 2001 Pathfinder (R50 ) mild/budget build

stioc

Expedition Leader
Thanks man but I'll be honest I've never been a fan of slotted/drilled/chamfered rotors after one of them cracked at the race track some 12 years ago. Solids have always worked better in almost all situations, the others are mostly for the bling factor marketed under various hypothesis.

The good news is my brakes are actually working well now even though they're not yet fully bedded-in, they definitely grab better than the EBC 7000s- I'm warming up to the new setup nicely.

Next up I'm considering a switch from my recently purchased Duratracs to the good-ole BFG A/Ts...I know it seems backwards and I hate the thought of losing such a great aggressive looking tire. However, I feel while the Duratracs have been awesome off-road they leave a gap in the on-road performance (less tire surface on road). There are lots of choices out there for tires these days, in fact, I used to think that anyone considering the 'outdated' BFG A/Ts today just didn't know about the new tires. I now have to eat crow because there's truly a reason why the BFG ATs have been around this long. They have kept improving them with the advances in tire technology and compound based on their 20yr learning experience. The sidewalls of the BFG ATs are very strong and I think it's one of the few best all-around A/T tire - a true A/T tire out there. I've spent a lot of time reading build threads here but more importantly trip reports to realize that the BFG ATs just work in the overlanding area. Sure the KM2s would offer phenomenal off-road performance (similar to my current Duratracs) but I spend most of my time on-road and want something that's less 'floaty' with more rubber on the road.

In other news I took the time to re-certify in American Red-Cross First Aid and CPR...I'm glad I did because things have changed over the years.

mortonm

Expedition Leader
BFG ATs just work.

And honestly when mine are worn out, if I still haven't used my spare, I'm pretty tempted to just get 3 new ones and use the best tire from the old ones to use as my spare. Pretty attractive to have to buy only 3. Tires not 4 or 5.

Take a gander at the toyo M55. Also. Supposed to be tough as nails, and pretty goodroad manners. There are a few threads around here about them.

Rebelord

Semper Fi
Could also check out the Cooper AT3s.
I love my Cooper STT tires, mainly because of the ply amount. 5+5. But the BFG are alright IMO. However in your neck of the woods they should be great. The BFG AT were the tire to run in AZ just because of the flotation factor on the sand. But down here in Florida, the AT are horrid for the mud. Its like trying to mud with street tires. No go.
Side note: I just scored a second set of wheels from a former fellow Pathfinder owner. So, I have my stock 15x7 with my STT mud tires. And now 16x7 for street tires. Which could be a option for you also, a second set for street only.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Look at the Toyo AT II. You may be able to get an "xtreme" size with more aggressive lugs and deeper tread in your size. Mine aren't but have excellent roadholding, and seems to stick to everything off road. In my experience they outperform the BFG AT. Check out their thread in the general mod section.

stioc

Expedition Leader
Where did you order your transfer case skid plate from ?? I can't seem to source one any where?? Thanks in advance
Hey I got your PM too so I'll respond here. I called the local parts dept, gave them the part# and had them special order it. They do take orders online so try them here or call them: www.ocnissanirvine.com

3040933G00 GUARDUNDER,TRANSFER 1 $0.00 $22.57 $22.57
3320133G10 BOLTFIX,UNDER GUARD 2 $0.00 $1.35 $2.70

The other bolt size (see the previous page or two) they said they couldn't order.

Hope this helps.

Could also check out the Cooper AT3s.
I love my Cooper STT tires, mainly because of the ply amount. 5+5. But the BFG are alright IMO. However in your neck of the woods they should be great. The BFG AT were the tire to run in AZ just because of the flotation factor on the sand. But down here in Florida, the AT are horrid for the mud. Its like trying to mud with street tires. No go.
Side note: I just scored a second set of wheels from a former fellow Pathfinder owner. So, I have my stock 15x7 with my STT mud tires. And now 16x7 for street tires. Which could be a option for you also, a second set for street only.

Look at the Toyo AT II. You may be able to get an "xtreme" size with more aggressive lugs and deeper tread in your size. Mine aren't but have excellent roadholding, and seems to stick to everything off road. In my experience they outperform the BFG AT. Check out their thread in the general mod section.

Both the STT and the Toyo AT II (while very different from each other) are great tires and have been on my radar screen for sometime. There are truly dozens of great tires on the market today including the Duratracs. I think most Duratrac owners will say they're very happy with them and wouldn't go back to the BFG ATs or xyz that they had before. However, each tire will have its own pros and cons and each owner will see the tires in a different way based on terrain and usage. From my perspective, we don't see much mud here at all, what I do deal with a lot is rocks- sharp rocks, boulders, loose dirt, silt etc. The Duratracs have phenomenal traction both on and off-road, they're truly in between a typical AT and an MT tire in the traction dept but they don't seem to be very rock resistant. The BFG ATs on the other hand aren't known for mudding but they're known for their superior sidewall strength and they wear like iron. The more off-road oriented Coopers also have their Armor-Tek3 technology which gives them more strength and resistance against rocks. That's what I'm looking for offroad i.e. puncture and sidewall tear resistance without going to a dedicated mud-tire (KM2, STT etc which stand up to the rocks better). I could go to a dedicated mud tire too because the Pathy's not my daily driver but I typically have to cover 300-400 miles on pavement at 70mph with the family onboard to go 30-60 miles offroad :) The other thing I don't like about the Duratracs is that they feel like they wander a bit on the road...again less rubber on the road the less grip/tracking-straight though this may be they're still new or perhaps I have to play with the tire pressures more.

Based on my research so far I've only found the BFG ATs, Cooper ST or ST Maxx and potentially Falken WildPeak AT to be the only tires worth trading my Duratracs for. Case in point - Paul of EQUIPT is building his new 2013/14 4Runner and he went the BFG ATs. He could've literally picked any tire he wanted, more-so because it's his company's moving billboard so a more aggressive tire would've 'looked' better but he said that while he realizes there are some great tires on the market these days and everyone has an opinion about them he simply chose to stick with what has worked well for him over the past decade or so of offroading in the west- that says a lot to me.

I haven't looked at the Toyo M55s closely but I'm also limited by what Discount Tire can offer me a swap for...I think they try to sell what they think will make you go away and not keep coming back. When I asked them to quote me the Coopers they made it sound like it's going to take a lot of effort to get the pricing for those vs. the BFGs which they were ready to order for me right away.

Allof75

Pathfinder
Here's a question- You keep mentioning the Duratrac having a purportedly weaker sidewall, but have you ever actually had a puncture?

Also, if you want a thick sidewall, look at the Toyo Open Country MT. Them and the ATs are well known in the prerunning scene as being pretty much unflappable.

stioc

Expedition Leader
No puncture but quite a few rock abrasion, slices and surface cuts in the 5000 miles to realize that they wouldn't last another 40,000 miles with me :)

Most MTs will take care of the sidewall strength issue but I'm *hoping* to stay in the AT territory for better on-road driving experience. When you say "Them and the ATs are well known in the prerunning scene as being pretty much unflappable" - which ATs are you referring to? Toyo Open Country ATs or BFG ATs? Got any info/links etc?

Rebelord

Semper Fi
I hear ya on the road travel. Thats why I'm glad I am able to run street tires now instead of 100% of the STT's.
Yes, the STT are a straight up mud tire. Which is what you need for off road down here.
As for the BFG being the "go to" tire. I think its just because they have been around forever. Probably since before a lot of us were born!
Here is review from a oil rigger who put the Cooper ST Maxx on his truck up in Alberta. Ran em in "nasty mud, muddy gravel, snow; powder and hard pack" and says they worked out great.
Link: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-forum/533339-time-new-tires-st-maxx-safari-tsr.html

Edit:
Here is another review of the A/T3 Cooper Tires.
Link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/245167-cooper-discoverer-t3-review.html

I'm not trying to sell you on the Coopers. Just that they are a tire I am interested in and have been researching them. So, just showing you another POV than the trusty BFG AT

Last edited:

andrewh

/dev/4wd
Great build thread, looking froward to going through it all. Apologies if this has been asked before, but what make model is that scissor lift of yours. Ive been saving up for one but have seen mixed reviews for some of the models available. How do you like it? Any issues?

stioc

Expedition Leader
I hear ya on the road travel. Thats why I'm glad I am able to run street tires now instead of 100% of the STT's.
Yes, the STT are a straight up mud tire. Which is what you need for off road down here.
As for the BFG being the "go to" tire. I think its just because they have been around forever. Probably since before a lot of us were born!
Here is review from a oil rigger who put the Cooper ST Maxx on his truck up in Alberta. Ran em in "nasty mud, muddy gravel, snow; powder and hard pack" and says they worked out great.
Link: http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/tires-wheels-forum/533339-time-new-tires-st-maxx-safari-tsr.html

Edit:
Here is another review of the A/T3 Cooper Tires.
Link: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/245167-cooper-discoverer-t3-review.html

I'm not trying to sell you on the Coopers. Just that they are a tire I am interested in and have been researching them. So, just showing you another POV than the trusty BFG AT

Helpful to read these reviews, thanks for sharing man. I've been reading reviews on the web and tirerack.com the past several days. I keep coming back to the BFG ATs. Here're the pros and cons compared to what I know about the Duratracs first hand:

Duratrac Pros:
-Look aggressive and give my Pathy a burly look- they're one of the best features of my Pathy.
-Fantastic traction off-road, they also have 'side-biters' which are great in the mud and when driving the berms of a wash or a ravine.
- Good in rain and snow (can't confirm the latter too much as I've only had them in 3-4" of snow)
- Wider tread-width for a given size (not necessarily a pro but a feature nonetheless)

Cons:
- Because of the soft compound and large voids in the tread you also get a lot of tread squirm and feel vague on the road.
- Sidwalls gouge and slice if used heavily in the rocky terrain (just do a Google image search for "Duratrac sidewall")

BFG AT:
Pros:
- Well known for their durability
- Drive very well on-road

Cons:
- Not good in mud. Marginal in snow or standing water at highway speeds.
- Looks aren't too bad but not as aggressive as the Duratracs
- Narrower tread-width than the Duratrac (not necessarily a con but the Duratracs just have a wider tread section than most other tires)

Great build thread, looking froward to going through it all. Apologies if this has been asked before, but what make model is that scissor lift of yours. Ive been saving up for one but have seen mixed reviews for some of the models available. How do you like it? Any issues?

It's a BendPak P6 above ground lift. I bought it in 2008 and haven't looked back. Makes working on cars a snap, no more fumbling with jack stands and being worried about the correct placement etc. In an ideal world (ceiling height, floor strength etc) I would've bought a 2 post but life is never ideal and too short to not do the things you want to do ;)

mortonm

Expedition Leader
I have a couple winters of experience with the BFG AT in all kinds of snow and ice conditions.

In the 235 85 size they work well in deep snow, ice or shallow snow.

I've had no issues om freeways in all inds of conditions, never felt any issues at all. Track well and give a confident feeling while cornering.

Not all BFG AT sizes are winter rated, but the 235 85 are. And those sizes that have the severe weather service rating actually have more and deeper siping I believe. I wouldn't worry about them in the snow.

The more and more w e talk about it, the more I am considering another set. I have really had no issues with them. Yeah they don't clear well in mud but I usually avoid the deeper stuff and. They still work in mud.

The grass isn't always greener, and most of my driving is tarmac, and they ride so well on that.

Last edited:

stioc

Expedition Leader
Haha, yeah I was thinking the same thing i.e. swapping tires since you like the Duratracs.

While I don't put too much stock into what the tire store managers have to say about any particular tire but I asked him if he has had other customers complain about the Duratracs? he said something like: "I think you'll be pretty happy with the BFG ATs". I asked him about the KM2s and he said they'll be better than the Duratracs but honestly on road they'll suffer the same issues the Duratracs "have been having". He also gave me the upgrade price on the Cooper ST MAXX - $225.

BFG AT it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Top Jimmy