My Conqueror and Rig!

D110DC

Update on Dendy's (now Pete's) RRC

Mine is the Expedition Truck — a one owner 1989 Range Rover (purchased from a fellow Expo member(s) - thanks Matt and Dale!). First, I cannot believe how well preserved the Southern California environment can leave a truck! 2) I cannot believe how rust free and well maintained this truck is

It has 124K miles and the previous owner had done some nice things to the truck, but it was leaning more towards off-road than expedition (IMHO). Here's how it looked when I got it:

It has a RTE bumper with a Warn 9000i winch with black steelies and BFG Commercial T/A tires. The head liner was falling and there are some other minor issues with the truck (mechanically speaking- brakes, radiator needs some work, etc.) And the pitch black/purple tinted window tint had to go (never want to do that again!! Remove ... that is!)

So, I put Land Rover take off new Wolf wheels with Goodyear G90 Euro spec tires (tall/skinny).

Next was a extremely hard to find INTI expedition rack from Venezuela. I found it in Florida (on a Range Rover Classic for sale) and spent the better part of two months negotiating for it). Once purchased, I used USHIP to find someone to deliver it. (a complete bargain!!!)

Then I changed those lights to Hella 4000's, changed the bumper to an ARB with a Warn 9000 winch and Viking Synth line, added two Land Rover Dixon Bates, front Tow Rings, and two Hella 2000's lamps on the front along with Rovers North (NLA) Limb Risers.

Then I added Rear Lamp Guards and two Vintage Yellow Letter Mud Flaps (kinda my thing!)

I then had the headliner redone and worked for a great deal of time cleaning the interior (which was simply dirty from 20 years of service).

And HERE is how the truck arrived to me and after got rid of those G90s and installed repainted original wheels and new tires:
IMG_5047.jpg

and here is how it is running now (broken down on way to work):
IMG_4670.jpg

and again (broke down on way to Birmingham):
IMG_9091.jpg

In fairness, both were minor issues like a frayed alternator belt. Just kidding, Dendy! :jump:

JackW

Explorer
You really need to bring that Conqueror to the Solaros SAE event near Murphy , NC on Sept 16-18 - a bunch of us want a first hand look at that wonderful thing...

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
You really need to bring that Conqueror to the Solaros SAE event near Murphy , NC on Sept 16-18 - a bunch of us want a first hand look at that wonderful thing...

I know! Why did you guys go and change the date?!? I had it penciled in on the normal old date, and then when the announcement came out about it being moved to Sept. ... I was bummed as (as it stands now) i have plans that weekend.
If it changes- you'll see me.
D

JackW

Explorer
I know! Why did you guys go and change the date?!?
D

Some of the guys in our group basically got tired of freezing their butts off in November as we have done for the last two years. Since there are so many other events in October we decided to try moving SAE forward to the early part of the good camping season before hunting season opens. We'll see how this works out bit we're sure to have a great time.

How about MAR or URE? You planning on going there in October?

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Some of you might enjoy seeing the Conqueror Commander in action. Here is the Australian version the UEV 490 (Conqueror) in action in Australia on Frazier Island:

Frazier Island Part 1 -
http://youtu.be/sYDm_zTAMlo

Frazier Island Part 2-
http://youtu.be/IvyX8CqnaEU

Frazier Island Part 3-
http://youtu.be/4MBC7vhPqR0

And here is a tour of the trailer, which is done with a few nicer touches in Australia (flat screen, sound system, etc.- but all items - I prefer to get away from when I am out).
http://youtu.be/QpauUSmtJmA

Enjoy
D

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
So, last weekend, my wife and I had Scout training at the nearby Boxwell Reservation. It is an 1100 acre preservation with a few log lodges for training some on the lake, but mostly you'd think it to be a wild life preserve.
We got permission in advance, since we were going to be there to learn how to take a group of Scouts camping (we are Den leaders for our local Pack)- to bring our trailer and camp for two nights. While we were not far out (so to speak), it was purely primitive camping. The weather was great- even go chilly at night.
Our first wave of Fall weather was pushing through on Friday. On Sunday morning, we awoke to a field of Wild Turkey- visible from our bunk. They were soon joined by about a dozen deer, but we couldn't take pics, as the click of the camera was spooking them (they were that close).

So, for the guys that think this some Star Wars rig- yes ... it reminds me of a swiss army knife of a camper. There are lots of fold outs, pop tops, etc. But it is really efficient and pretty tight when closed up. And while this was simply a chance to spend some quality time - it was great, as my wife loves this trailer- not so much the old one. The batteries were great. Used them for two straight days with no decrease in battery strength on the monitor.

We were alone cept for during the training- and of course the wildlife!

IMG_2905.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

IMG_2903.jpg

IMG_2892.jpg

It was a nice way to spend a couple of Fall days.

D

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Looks like fun.

We were out with your gang at SAE ---- the weather really helped and we had a great time.
Most of those guys slept on the ground and ate bugs though. Some even laughed at us for baking biscuits in the Dutch oven and for making lobster dip... ...but they did admit that they enjoyed the biscuits, fried ham, and smoked gouda.

Living well is the best revenge, Dendy. Glad you got out and enjoyed.

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
Well, after 12 years as a die hard Land Rover Nutzoid case, ... I have landed on what I think is the best 'Modern' platform Expedition Vehicle.
I still love Land Rovers- (don't particularly care for the direction they are taking rover right now), but in all honesty, my first expedition truck was a 1998 Jeep Wrangler 2 door. My first experience in an off road truck came in my uncles 1952 Willis Jeep that we road all through the middle Georgia red clay woods!

This started on an odd move. My wife had a G4 2008 LR3 competition truck which she hated. She said it was big, lumbering, and she hated the graphics. I told her she could drive anything she wanted. She chose a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon in Natural Green. SHE LOVES IT. Then, ... I LOVED IT! The new interior is just fantastic and it is so quiet inside compared to the 1998 I once had.

Here are pics of her truck:
IMG_3179.jpg

IMG_3182.jpg

IMG_3181.jpg

So, the decision was made to find me one- and I chose the 2011 Jeep Unlimited AEV #44. I found the truck at NEMER Chrysler in New York State.
The challenge, ... I wanted to be able to pull my trailer and not have a slug.
Christopher Rogers is the service manager at NEMER, but more importantly, he lives the lifestyle- going on long trips through the New England back country. He knows these trucks. He personally took on my truck build and we did front/rear E-lockers, 4 to 1 Atlas T-Case, 513 Gearing, under body protection- and much more. The truck still has a few things that I am doing to make it "work" for me, but it is fantastic! (Thanks Christopher! and Jeff at AEV for walking me through it!
The 513 gearing and ProCal are the key to this thing. It literally seems like it has twice the horsepower of my wife's Rubicon. (I know it is a mere function of ratio and synchronization, but the sensation is more H.P.)
Just arrived yesterday! I am stoked!

I wanted the Sahara Tan color and was not too particular about the interior.

IMG_3503.jpg

IMG_3501.jpg

Warn 9000i with Viking Synthetic Line in Yellow. There are IPF's on the truck now, but the Hella 4000's are on order. I'll give these IPFs a run in the meantime to see which I end up liking better.

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

Water Storage in rear bumper with pump.

IMG_3502.jpg

IMG_3512.jpg

IMG_3511.jpg

Swing Away Rear Tire Carrier with Light and if you look in the spare, you'll see the rear brake lamp AEV offers. AEV Shovel mount is integrated in the rear carrier and the shovel is enroute.

IMG_3509.jpg

AEV Snorkel with PreCleaner

IMG_3508.jpg

35" BFG KM2 Mud Terrains on AEV Savegre wheels in their matte texture finish black

AEVRearDoorStorage.jpg

Rear Door Interior Smittybilt G.E.A.R rear storage system

IMG_3510.jpg

Front Windshield AEV Banner

IMG_3506.jpg

Rear storage with two pelicans and fire extinguisher- First Aid Kit in the rear door storage system.

IMG_3504.jpg

Smittybilt G.E.A.R seat back storage

IMG_3505.jpg

Got my Garmin GPSMAP478 with Nexrad weather radar.
I opted not to have the nav, but my wife has it, and it is a fantastic set up, so I may be going with that, but it is a plug-n-play system from Mopar.

It has the Freedom top which I think is fantastic. It allows the front two passengers to be in the sun, but the kids don't complain about being blown away in the back seats. Mine has the top painted to match which I think works great on my truck, but my wife's is black which she likes.

All in all- I think it is going to be a fantastic answer to my desire to have an "easy" button, which the rovers were for sure ... NOT!
The great thing- my entire family loves these two trucks. Before, I was the only one loving my rovers. It is nice to strike a balance for a change.

Pics with the trailer to come ...

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Wow, that looks like one sweet rig. :Wow1: Nice purchase. Me thinkest there will be some fun times ahead. :elkgrin:

Honu

lost on the mainland
wow now more LR :)
thats cool though looks like a nice setup color goes well with the conqueror :)

Dendy Jarrett

Expedition Portal Admin
Staff member
So have your ordered AEV wheels for the trailer to match the JKU yet?
How does it pull behind the new Jeep?

Well, I actually ordered them with the Jeep, but now that they have arrived, I think the cost of changing the hubs, getting adapters to take care of the off-set (and not knowing for sure that they will fit- i.e.: it's a gamble!), and three new tires.
I may return the wheels, order some AEV texture spray paint cans, ... paint the wolfs and leave it alone (hence saving about $3000 to completely do a conversion to simply match wheels!) - seems over the top to me.
D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jay2thaC