My first project vehicle

That One Guy

Adventurer
I was about three when my Grandma started driving us kids around in that sweet old Dodge van of hers. At some point in time after that, my brain decided that I was gonna be one of those guys who loves cars. As soon as I could comprehend what a car was, I was hooked. And that van has always been one of my favorites. I've always loved everything Jeep, but in recent years, I have developed a healthy admiration of overland/expedition vehicles, largely of the van type. My grandparents have had two more vans since then, and this particular one has a 5000 mile old 318 and a seized water pump. It is now mine to do with as I please. I've already taken the front end off, and replaced the water pump, and am now waiting for money to get new hoses, belts, and the radiator gone over before I put it all back together. The battery tray was all rusted out, so I made a new one in shop that I will temporarily install when it runs. Also on the "first things first" to do list is a carb rebuild, and a cap, rotor, wires and plugs. All the seals and weather stripping EVERYWHERE need to be gone over and the veneer on the roof is warped due to a leaky sunroof... So I need to redo most of the interior. The captains chairs need to be reupholstered as well. It's a 1976 Dodge Tradesman B200. Down the road it will see axles. I only want maybe 5 more inches of lift than stock. As soon as I get it running, I'm taking it to shop to make a full length roof rack, bumpers front and rear, and sliders.

Attachments

• Image11072010125212.jpg
    Image11072010125212.jpg
    897.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Image11142010140429.jpg
    Image11142010140429.jpg
    564 KB · Views: 73
  • Image11132010144819.jpg
    Image11132010144819.jpg
    882.9 KB · Views: 97

xkid

Adventurer
Congrats man.Thats what I have learned here,there are many different types of ex. vehicles.

aires35

Adventurer
1st car

My first car/van was a 1978 Dodge 3/4 ton van. I don't know what my parents were thinking when they let me buy it from them. It had two seats in the front... Thats it. Later modified with two chairs from house, and later revised with a used (this is so disgusting thinking about it 20 some odd yrs later) queen size mattress that we found on the side of the road. I had way too much fun in that van. Camped A LOT! 318 was reliable as can be and the only problem I ever had out of it was the U-joints on the drive-shaft went out around 80,000 miles. Good luck with your build and keep us informed!

That One Guy

Adventurer
Yeah, there are tons. I'd like to have a Unimog when I win the lottery too. It is not 4wd, but it will be:sombrero:

I'm buying it for 500 bucks, and that seems pretty fair to me. Its got two rows of seating in the back. They'refoldable bench seats... As in I have a freakin' bed in my van.. Those seats are good and comfy too. There's no way I'm ever getting rid of those. You can turn them around backwards to face eachother, and apparently they have a table on a pole somewhere that goes inbetween them so I can play cards with my buddies at lunch or somethin like that. You can take them both out in under 5 minutes, and the brackets are near flush... I love this van. It's got like diamond shaped plush padding on the walls too. This thing screams Shaggin' Waggon.

do the "A-team" paint scheme, throw you a massivly overpowed cummins in it, im talkin 1200-1300 hp,alison 6 speed, a huge brushguard, and write "Move Fool" across the windsheild.....oh yea and a disco ball and the male symble austin powers wears around the rear veiw

That One Guy

Adventurer
I was thinkin it'd be pretty BA to lower the front end and slap some cylones on it, but the A-Team had an 83 GMC. I'm seriously considering that sticker though.

me and my buddy bought a 15 pass 86 e350 chruchvan with 178xxx on it from my girls parents, we slipt it 150$ apeice, we took it to the shop, slammed it about 3 iches off the ground, and threw some 26s on it, rode like crap, looked worse, adn we got stuck on speedbumps, made nice profit for about 600 all together, we sold it to some "locals" for 3k:victory:

yea we had pulled em off a crown vic for some bigger one for the guy, they were scratched and beaten up, its a little.....working to get them in, hammer here, sawzall there, cutting torch everywhere else, he owns a tire shop, so he has lifts and all the tools to work with, so im sure if you had more sense youd have never done it

That One Guy

Adventurer
Thanks, thats exactly what I was thinking, plus a ton more room to stow crap inside and on a full length roof rack.

Also, I was thinking I wanted Dana 44's. Can anyone give me ideas on what I should get, and what vehicles have them? Length wise, pumpkin position, etc...

That One Guy

Adventurer
I've almost finished gathering all the new parts for the engine. All the new hoses except for one heater hose and like 2 small radiator hoses. All I really have left to buy is a new battery, oil for an oil change and coolant. I still want to drop the gas tank and clean it out and see if the sending unit is still okay. Also had the radiator pressure tested. The guy did an awesome job. Found 3 leaks, fixed them, resoldered the side bracket, cleaned it off and painted it. All for 37 bucks. It was supposed to be 75, but he said not to worry about it, cuz he had an old van once too, and remembered how excited he was to work on it. The guy was great. I made a new temporary battery tray because mine was rusted out. Got new cables and a carb rebuild kit. I found 200 bucks in my room that I had hidden long ago, hence all the new parts :D As soon as the snow goes away and it gets above freezing, I'm gonna flush out the entire system wait a garden hose, put the cooling system back together and mix the antifreeze in before it gets a chance to freeze or rust. I've got to figure out how to take that carb off of there soon so I can rebuild it. Got half of a sound system for it too. I already had two 10" subs in a ported box and an amp and wiring for them waiting to be used, and I just got another amp for the speakers I'll get sometime. I want 6. The Xplod stereo I want is only like 85 bucks too, so thats next after I get it running and pay for it :D So stoked!

Attachments

• Image11292010113749.jpg
    Image11292010113749.jpg
    535.1 KB · Views: 19

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat