My first project vehicle

That One Guy

Adventurer
Well, I've finished, decided on a battery seperator and inverter, and now need to decide on a battery. I know I need a deep cycle marine battery and I'm thinking Optima Blue Top. D27M, 34M, D34M, or D31M? Experiences?

That One Guy

Adventurer
My shop teacher told me today that I should use 2 AGM batteries, and not marine batteries. He said Red Tops would be fine or to even just go down to the local battery shop and ask for blemished AGM's. Said he got his for 25 ea. Is this an okay idea? I'm looking for the cheapest way to have the longest amount of non charging usage. I won't use any more than 2 12 volt batteries, and I will mount them on my roof rack.

After 8 hours straight of research last night, I'm not as much of a battery/wiring noob as I was, but still am a noob. I made 3 battery trays today to hold down my main battery and my aux battery(s).

Last edited:

ramrunnr

My shop teacher told me today that I should use 2 AGM batteries, and not marine batteries. He said Red Tops would be fine or to even just go down to the local battery shop and ask for blemished AGM's. Said he got his for 25 ea. Is this an okay idea? I'm looking for the cheapest way to have the longest amount of non charging usage. I won't use any more than 2 12 volt batteries, and I will mount them on my roof rack.

After 8 hours straight of research last night, I'm not as much of a battery/wiring noob as I was, but still am a noob. I made 3 battery trays today to hold down my main battery and my aux battery(s).

You can also check auto parts stores. I got several Optimas from a national chain auto parts store, Three Red tops, a yellow, and two blues. They were brand new, but just over a year old. I bought them as used batteries at $25 each. They are working ok for now. They seem to be a little weak, but I'm hoping after a few more cycles that they will bounce back. Even if they don't I think it was worth it for the price I paid. The Optima blue tops are Marine AGM batteries. I have also heard of people having good luck with golf cart batteries, but they are 6 volt, so you have to group them in pairs to get to 12 volt.

Those LEDs look cool, I think my bud got some of those. He loves that site and has bought several items from there.

That One Guy

Adventurer
Maybe I should ask O'Reiley's and Autozone too then. I already have my battery trays made, and I'm trying to keep weight down as much as possible, so 4 6 volts is a little more weight than I'd like(~200lbs).

Yeah, I like them a lot. A ton brighter with a fraction of the draw of the original ones. And they can be broken into smaller strips.

That One Guy

Adventurer
Well for some reason I can't load any pictures at all. Really irritating. Well anyway, I bought all the weatherstripping I need for all doors and the doghouse for about a hundred bucks and have done the two side doors. Also, I thought my sunroof glass was permanantly faded, but it's not, so I fixed that and it looks a lot nicer. I also decided on a material for the interior. MARPAT digicamo @ 10 bucks a yard. Kinda spendy so I'll be doing that slowly. finished and installed my really heavy duty battery tray and got my new Autometer speedo and tach. The plate to hold them is gettin' close to done. Also started cutting down and rebuilding the top of my really heavy roof rack. I hate tearing apart my own work.

Last edited:

That One Guy

Adventurer
Well it sounds like I might be getting my old job back, but in the department I actually wanted to be in. So that means an actual budget for the van so stuff can get done! But I have less than 7 months until I go to boot camp, so there isn't much time to get stuff done before I go. Just an update to say there should be more updates!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat