My first project vehicle

That One Guy

Adventurer
Thanks, nely. I like those, and they're cheaper. I think I'll order up some of those.

On another lighting note, I'm using LED's for my front turn signals. Will I need an LED flasher to make them work, or will they be okay? And will the LED flasher affect the non LED tail lights?

nely

Adventurer
You will probably need an electronic flasher to have the trun signals flash properly.

Or put a resistor going from power to ground on the turn signal wiring. My friend used some on his street bike to make the leds flash properly with the factory turn signal relay. Search led resistor and youll see it. Although youll need one per signal light and they cost the same as one electronic flasher.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

nely

Adventurer
Taillights will work the same. Not all flashers are the same.

Youll need an electronic flasher since the flash based on a timer not the load the lights put on it. Also they have 2 prong and 3 prong flashers so you need to know which one you have.

That One Guy

Adventurer
Taillights will work the same. Not all flashers are the same.

Youll need an electronic flasher since the flash based on a timer not the load the lights put on it. Also they have 2 prong and 3 prong flashers so you need to know which one you have.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

That One Guy

Adventurer
On another note, I might have found another project. An awesome, rust free (believe it or not) 45-53 CJ-2A or 3A. Original flathead and eveything. Very little body damage too. The owners are selling their property, so I'm hoping to get a good price if they get a buyer for the property and need it gone. I've always wanted a Jeep, and to get a Willy's Flatty for my first would blow my mind.

That One Guy

Adventurer
I will definitely let you know if I figure it out.

Just got back from MEPS, and now have my ship date. 20120625. A year is a long time to wait, but I'm glad all the paperwork's done. Ooh-rah.

That One Guy

Adventurer
I will keep you in mind too. Well, yesterday I came into some money... So off I went to my local auto parts store for a full electrical tune-up, save for the coil and distributor. Got a new cap and rotor, plugs, and some super nice Taylor silicone cut to fit spark plug wires. Then I headed over to Lowes and got a bunch of connectors, one more terminal block to finish my gauges, a bunch of speaker wire to replace the old stuff from the TWO speakers that used to be in the back, and a sheet of 3/4" MDF to make a sub box that will fit under the back seat of my van. Total cash spent: $203.13. Honestly, I don't think that's too bad, considering the spark plug wires were $85. Anyway as soon as I finish the new wires I'll post a pic. Now that I can actually start keeping the money I make, the project can start up again. Have to buy a new starter too, cuz mines shot and I'm ordering it right now. After that, valve covers and a new air cleaner. Then a Performer intake manifold and 600 carb. Whoo!

That One Guy

Adventurer
Spark plug wires cut to length and installed: Check.
MDF box done: Half check.
Ugly doghouse fabric thingy removed: Check.

Gettin' there.

That One Guy

Adventurer
So after I removed my weirdo circuit board gauge cluster thingy, my van wouldnt turn over anymore. Today, I figured out why and fixed it, but need help on something so electrical people... Help me out here. There are two wires that connected to the original alternator gauge (one red, one black, both probably 6-4 gauge) and when I disconnected them, the van would no longer turn over. If I connect those two wires (with the spade connectors I attached to them to they would hook up to my new gauge) everything works the way it should. But for some reason, if I connect the two to my gauge, it won't turn over. The gauge reads 12v if I turn the key to the accesory position, and quivers a little when I try to start it but nothing happens and I don't know why. It seems like the gauge should be connecting the circuit just as the spade connectors did, but for some reason it doesn't. Those are the only two wires that connect to the gauge other than the light bulb, but that is a completely seperate unit and does not affect it. I'd like to use my gauge, so any input as to why it doesn't complete the circuit would be GREATLY appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat