My first project vehicle

That One Guy

Adventurer
So that's what the front looks like back together for the most part, and cleaned off-ish. I thought I took a pic after I primered it black, but I can't find it, so I guess I didn't, but the metal part and the body colored part the headlights are attached to is now black and VERY clean looking. I want to buy new headlights because the old ones have water in them, but that's $40 I couldn't afford to spend even if I had it. I'll make a new grille with sequential led signals in the stock position beside the headlights. I'd like to ditch the square bezzles, but I don't know if they help enhance the brightness or something? Once I put the coolant in, and service the transmission, which will cost me less than 10 dollars to do with the parts I already have, then the whole front end will be put back together. All but the not yet made grille. But I owe like 40 bucks so that'll be a while. I got the carb off and was halfway through the rebuild when my fingers went totally numb. Heres the before pic.

Attachments

• Image12082010143924.jpg
    Image12082010143924.jpg
    751.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Image12112010155733.jpg
    Image12112010155733.jpg
    547.7 KB · Views: 34

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
You should be able to get halogen sealed beam headlights for aprx. $10 on sale at some of the larger auto parts places. Make sure that you buy the right headlamp type as you are running a 2 headlamp system, and not 4. You would be surprized how easy it is to mess that one up! I tried it myself....:wings:

eagle1

Observer
my dad had a 77, and at one point had the plans for a 4wd conversion(pathfinder i think) but i remember they called for a ford axle and T-case

That One Guy

Adventurer
You should be able to get halogen sealed beam headlights for aprx. $10 on sale at some of the larger auto parts places. Make sure that you buy the right headlamp type as you are running a 2 headlamp system, and not 4. You would be surprized how easy it is to mess that one up! I tried it myself....:wings:

How are they different? Wattage? And where, like O'Reiley's? 10 dollars sounds great. :D

That One Guy

Adventurer
my dad had a 77, and at one point had the plans for a 4wd conversion(pathfinder i think) but i remember they called for a ford axle and T-case

Yep, that's what I'm planning to look for now. Do you remember what year and model Ford it said you could find the specific front axle in? Because I don't know where to start. I have no idea on width or model numbers. The Dana 300 is a passenger side drop, which means that I need an NP t-case. Which model would fit my TF727 and be stout enough?

That One Guy

Adventurer
Well I dropped the pan yesterday, and cleaned it out and siliconed my gasket to it after many scrubs with the toothbrush in my improvised outside solvent tank (The same rubber pan I used to drain my ATF into... it didn't even fit in there).When I took the filter out to replace it, the screw in the center had a bit of water behind it. Probably from when I "flushed" it. Put my new filter in and put the pan back on for the night to nothing could get inside and the gasket could be squished. And guess what?! It's snowing again!!! How am I supposed to get my work done when it's snowing?! That pan only has 4 bolts on it right now and the other side of the gasket isn't siliconed because I wanted to disconnect the cooler lines, clean them out and reinstall them before i dropped something in there or got some crap in there and I screwed myself cuz I siliconed both sides. So it's just sittin there with a few bolts in it. And will until this damn snow melts.

That One Guy

Adventurer
I said screw the snow, and got a foam pad thingy to lay on. I disconnected the tranny cooler lines and blew them out and reconnected them. Bought tons of new hose for everything on that engine and transmission. Almost finished puting all the bolts in the transmission pan. Drained the engine oil, and replaced the filter. Put two gallons of 50/50 in it (only because they had mail in rebates, otherwise, I would have just mixed it myself) and bought screw clamps to replace the spring types cuz they really suck. The current task at hand is to drop, drain, and clean the gas tank, and make sure the sending unit and wires are in good shape. Then I'll replace all the little bits of fuel line and the two filters. After that, all I need is ATF, motor oil, and a battery. 7 years of hibernation are almost at their end!

That One Guy

Adventurer
Finished the gas tank except for the ridiculous 15 dollar a foot 2" id. thermoid filler hose. Finished the transmission too. Also replaced all the fuel line from the tank to the carb. Oh and I cleaned the engine off.

Attachments

• Image12212010135348.jpg
    Image12212010135348.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 27
  • Image12222010134703.jpg
    Image12222010134703.jpg
    599.6 KB · Views: 34

That One Guy

Adventurer
Got the hood back on and painted the core support to match the fenders and radiator. Looks a lot nicer. These are the new valve covers and air cleaner I'm getting. 80 bucks including shipping!! They'll match the flat black Hedman headers I'm getting, and the black intake manifold. Also on the list is a refurbed Performer 600 and dual (black) Super 44's. This thing is gonna be mean. As soon as school starts up again monday, I'm gonna start on the roof rack. Once I get this stupid scanner figured out I'll post my Auto Cad rendering of the rack.

Attachments

• Image12262010215041.jpg
    Image12262010215041.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 12
  • Image12262010220853.jpg
    Image12262010220853.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Image12272010112129.jpg
    Image12272010112129.jpg
    810.4 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Forum statistics