My first project vehicle

dwh

Tail-End Charlie

I don't think those ever came 4x4, so any conversion is going to be completely custom. The only guy I ever knew who did it was Mike "Dr. D." Duncan, the Four X Doctor:

http://www.fourxdoctor.com/

But he sold his decades ago. All I remember about it was that the front was on leaf springs and the front spring hangers were beefy custom welded boxes. You are going to end up having to make spring hangers.

If it were me, I'd start by getting the running gear out from under the front of a Dodge 4x truck of about the same year. Dodge wheels have bolt hole spacing that doesn't interchange with Ford or Chevy, so you need a Dodge front axle.

Most of the Dodge trucks from back then were full-time 4wd so you need to try to find an axle that either has manual locking hubs, or can be fitted with them.

Same with the NP203 transfer cases that most of them had - full time. There are conversion kits to make the 203 into part time, but if I were starting from scratch I'd go with a 205 instead of jacking around with the chain drive 203.

Your transmission will have a tailcone and output shaft that won't work for a transfer case, so you'll need both a tranny and transfer case. And a different trans crossmember. Get all of that from a donor vehicle.

Most vans have a crossmember under the engine which will end up directly above the differential, and get smacked when the suspension compresses, so you might have remove it and make a new one a few inches further forward. And then figure out how to keep the diff from bashing the oil pan up into the crank.

The steering on the 4x front axle won't work with the steering box in the van, so you'll end having to figure out a way to get the tie rods to line up and connect properly with the steering box - without having suspension movement cause the geometry to get out of whack when you hit a bump.

You'll need a front driveshaft, and it won't be the right length - but after you put in the transfer case the rear won't be either so you'll have to take them both to a shop to have them redone.

Basically, it's going to be a major PITA requiring some serious fabrication skills and a buttload of homework and planning. It can be done, and the parts aren't all that expensive, but be prepared for the truck to be sitting on jackstands for a few months.

That One Guy

Adventurer
There was the Vancharger, which I believe was a factory option. I've also been thinking about doing a sas on my s10 for a while, so I am firmiliar with what is required. And my plan is to find a donor d300 or something like that to rob the drivetrain from except for the engine and tranny. I was planning on just getting a rubicrawler to replace the tailcap. Having it actually BE four wheel drive isnt that much of an issue to me yet. It would be nice, but a lift and bigger m/t's will make it capable enough till I can afford a rubicrawler. Fabrication is not an issue for me, so mounts and crossmembers are all totally within the realm of possibility for me to do on my own. steering is DEFINITELY something I will need help with, but I don't mind it being on blocks because it's not my daily. This is exactly why I like forums, because people can help me with all of the things you've mentioned. Thanks a lot for the input; gives me more stuff I need to think about :)

That One Guy

Adventurer
I think this thread would get more action if it was moved to the van forum.

We all know those van guys are too stuck up to to come in here and look at our trucks :D

I thought this was the right one. Oops! How would I go about moving a thread? And I promise I won't be too stuck up to come and look :sombrero:

That One Guy

Adventurer
Oh, that's right. I knew that. Yeah, that 4x6 is how I found this site :D I wanna keep it simple with leafs front and rear.

eagle1

Observer
your going to want a front axle from a ford because the engine is offset to the passenger side and the pumpkin is drivers side on the ford,also the rear axle could be a chrysler 9.25 which is stronger than a dana44

my dads 77 b200 had the 9.25

That One Guy

Adventurer
So that means the Dana 300 t-case is out the door. It's a passenger side drop. So that means I need to get an NP t-case, if what you say is true. Do you know for a fact that the engine is offset? I was expecting it to be a 9 1/4 but after inspecting it I'm pretty sure it's not, sadly. If it was, I was going to keep it.

That One Guy

Adventurer
I'm at school right now, so I can't post any pics but I will when I get home. I had the radiator pressure tested, and found 3 leaks. Got 'em fixed, re-soldered a broken mount, and painted it. Flushed out my block (Damn was that cold!), cut to length and installed all my new hoses, (still have a couple more I want to replace), reinstalled that front piece of metal that holds up the radiator, put the radiator back on and hooked it all up. Like a genious, I sprayed water into my transmission cooling lines. Luckily the auto shop teacher gave me a new gasket and filter for the TF727 and 904. HOPEFULLY it's a 727. I really hope it is. So tomorrow I can drop the pan and get the water out and replace the filter. I just don't have any money for tranny fluid so that will be later. Also emptied the change tray in my truck to get another kit to mount my tranny cooler to my radiator, so I'll do that and replace those hoses too. Still need to take the carb off. Not excited about that. Anyway, more when I get home.

howard101

I want to know roughly how much it would cost to rent a handicap van for 7 days, were taking a road trip and are thinking about taking my grandmother along with us hopefully, if the cost is not too high.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maynerd Mowat