My honest 2011 Toyota 4runner review

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Too funny! :elkgrin:

When facts are asked for none are offered. Name calling and cries of "harsh" or "taking it personal" abound. But still no facts. Accusations of "Toyota bias" are thrown out but still no facts. Just look at all of the junk in the OP's photos. :Wow1:
2vdmckl.jpg

28jb5fm.jpg

Two tables, a big wooden stand with a large wooden kitchen box, 4 folding chairs, hammock, large steel tea kettle, full sized pots/pans utensils, Rotopax gas cans, solar panel, full sized shovel, two coolers, stove and propane bottles, 5 gallon water cans, boxes of food, and rubbermaid tubs. Yet that "175 pound" tongue weight is cast in stone. :oops:

A Fleetwood Cobalt starts life at 1300 lbs but when you add in the heater, 20 lb Propane bottle, 5 gallon water tank, roof basket and so on it gets way past the base weight. But I guess that is the fault of the SUV's towing abilities. :ylsmoke:

As for my Toyota "bias": 1955 Dodge pickup for 5 years, then a 1976 Ford F-250 4x4 for the next 13 years, 1989 Bronco 4x4 for the next 20 years, and the 4Runner for last 6 years. 33 years with Fords and I am biased towards 4Runners? :xxrotflma

So the same question: what does all of that stuff weigh and exactly why is it the fault of any SUV company? Or is it too "harsh" to ask why some of that heavy junk wasn't left behind? :victory:

So no name calling from me, no insinuations about horses behinds. Just the same "harsh" question: where is the personal accountability?

cbradley

Adventurer
Just a thought: any reasonable possibility the OP has some defective rear springs? Even accounting for a reasonable weight in the back and softer springs in the Gen 5s, something just doesn't seem right. He has a LOT of sag, even for a 4Runner.

stevek

Observer
FWIW I have a 2011 4Runner SR5 4x4 that I traded in a 2007 F250 FX4 Powerstroke on. I have a 16' utility trailer that I use around the homestead and the 4Runner handles it fine. The rear end does squat at anything around 350lbs tongue weight but all in all it handles up to 5K pounds pretty decent for what it is. I dont know that I'd tow in the mountains with it but around here it'll hold its own.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Well, I have absolutely zero proof to back this up....but I must say I wasn't too impressed with the payload on my 3rd generation 4Runner either.
I love this truck, but I got very surprised how much sagging there was just after loading a few items on the way to Burning Man...

So I am not really surprised as the OP's conclusions - I believe Toyota had to make a compromise between comfort and payload.

It's not that dramatic either, just something to be aware of if you intend to load/tow a lot. No drama required.

:)

JJMAC

Adventurer
So JJMAC,

Other than Jim being a bit of a horse's behind....what are the plans for the fix?

Drive to the nearest Dodge dealership and trade it for a nice Crew Cab Cummins or the gasser Power Wagon, or are you going to throw on new springs and see how it goes?

Not sure. THe Sequoia is too expensive. So its either the Tundra or F150 or Raptor.

JJMAC

Adventurer
I mean honestly, how bad was the towing? I certainly found myself in 6th gear 80 going up steep mountain passes on I-80 without much trouble with my Tacoma, when it was stock. Now with 35s and armor it's a bit sluggish and I can only go about 55 in 5th gear, but...

Were you able to maintain the speed limit? What kind of RPMs?

Yes I could maintain the speed limit. But it was screaming up the inclines. The scary part was at 80 MPH when the wind kicked in the car was pushed all over the place at a pretty scary rate.

JJMAC

Adventurer
Too funny! :elkgrin:

When facts are asked for none are offered. Name calling and cries of "harsh" or "taking it personal" abound. But still no facts. Accusations of "Toyota bias" are thrown out but still no facts. Just look at all of the junk in the OP's photos. :Wow1:
2vdmckl.jpg

28jb5fm.jpg

Two tables, a big wooden stand with a large wooden kitchen box, 4 folding chairs, hammock, large steel tea kettle, full sized pots/pans utensils, Rotopax gas cans, solar panel, full sized shovel, two coolers, stove and propane bottles, 5 gallon water cans, boxes of food, and rubbermaid tubs. Yet that "175 pound" tongue weight is cast in stone. :oops:

A Fleetwood Cobalt starts life at 1300 lbs but when you add in the heater, 20 lb Propane bottle, 5 gallon water tank, roof basket and so on it gets way past the base weight. But I guess that is the fault of the SUV's towing abilities. :ylsmoke:

As for my Toyota "bias": 1955 Dodge pickup for 5 years, then a 1976 Ford F-250 4x4 for the next 13 years, 1989 Bronco 4x4 for the next 20 years, and the 4Runner for last 6 years. 33 years with Fords and I am biased towards 4Runners? :xxrotflma

So the same question: what does all of that stuff weigh and exactly why is it the fault of any SUV company? Or is it too "harsh" to ask why some of that heavy junk wasn't left behind? :victory:

So no name calling from me, no insinuations about horses behinds. Just the same "harsh" question: where is the personal accountability?

Jimmy Boy,

I will write it AGAIN for the 3rd time since you obviously cant read past your bias on this vehicle. Everything you listed above: " Two tables, a big wooden stand with a large wooden kitchen box, 4 folding chairs, hammock, large steel tea kettle (its not steel, nor is it large), full sized pots/pans utensils (not full size but nice try), Rotopax gas cans, solar panel, full sized shovel, two coolers, stove and propane bottles, 5 gallon water cans, boxes of food, and rubbermaid tubs (these wash tubs are HEAVY Watch out!)......

Every item. Every Item...., except the cooler, rotopax and food is stored and located in the CAMPER AND DISPERSED OVER THE AXLE. It does not add any weight to the trailer tongue. I can hand lift the tongue of the trailer from the ground and put it on the TV. The weight is about 175-200 lbs.

So what facts are you looking for? You keep saying that I am blaming Toyota. I am not. I am simply stating the facts. Facts. Facts that you seem to have a hard time reading in everyone of my posts. Toyota didnt promise me anything. (I have said this twice now). Maybe I should just bold all of this in red so that you can see it and pay attention:

So. Here (once again) are the facts:
-The rear sag is horrible.
-The lighting in the vehicle is horrible. There is no driver contorlled dome light nor ANY third row lighting.
-The tow hitch harness conection is located in the worst possible location for an off-road vehicle.
-The Radio is subpar.
-Vehicle sway and brake sway is bad.
-Some of these items I should have seen during test drive. But I didnt. And I see now.

Those are FACTS. What are your facts? Is there a dome light in your 5th gen 4Run? Is there 3rd row lighting? Is thier sag when you put a trailer on the back? Hows the radio? WHere is your hitch harness plug locator?

Lets hear your facts.

D

Deleted member 13060

Just a thought: any reasonable possibility the OP has some defective rear springs? Even accounting for a reasonable weight in the back and softer springs in the Gen 5s, something just doesn't seem right. He has a LOT of sag, even for a 4Runner.

Probably not a defect.
The springs are working as designed.
When the mfg. gives a payload of, let's say 1000lbs, that's the MAX. That's where the bump stops start to come into play, NOT where the suspension starts to sag.

Like Jim, I'd like to see the trailer on a scale, the tongue on a scale and the 4-Runner on a scale exactly as they were loaded for the trip. This would give us cold hard numbers/facts to work with but that's not gonna happen so I'll stand by my guesstimates and say the car was real close to being overloaded and the suspension functioned as designed. Disappointing though it is, the new 4-Runner isn't quite the "truck" the original was based on....

YMMV RON

PS looking at the pics Jim quoted.... That's a lot of "stuff" esp if it was all in the trailer as the OP stated. I hope that trailer has brakes on it.....

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Yes I could maintain the speed limit. But it was screaming up the inclines. The scary part was at 80 MPH when the wind kicked in the car was pushed all over the place at a pretty scary rate.

Macky-Boy,

driving with your family in the car and towing a trailer at 80 MPH is insane.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Macky-Boy,

I'll repeat what you have ignored from previous posts. I understand that you are upset that I don't buy your emotional but fact devoid reasoning that leads you to shoot the messenger:

I drive a 4th Gen 4Runner, 6 years old and previously had Fords for 33 years. That makes me biased towards Fords, not Toyotas.

I don't have 3rd row seating because I don't have any cute rug rats to haul around.

My 4th gen has two dome lights, operated by the door or an individual switch. Why didn't you buy a slightly used V8 4th Gen? No research??

When I bought the 4Runner I understood its limitations before I bought it and planned appropriately. I replaced the standard Toyota 2DIN radio with a Scion radio off of EBay for $50. I bought stiffer rear springs

I already posted a picture of my trailer hitched up and the sag is minimal because I understand what overloading means.

My hitch harness outlet is on the left side of the cross member near the tow hook, exactly where yours probably is. Not having abused my truck I've never torn one off. Please post a picture of yours

You claim that you need "thousands of dollars of mods" but again your research is lacking. Appropriate rear springs for all of the junk that you haul are under $300 and even you could install them alone.

If you truly had a 175 lb tongue weight your rear springs are defective. Take your whole rig to the dealer and file a warranty claim.

Yes, you accuse Toyota but I'll help you recall what you wrote before you go back and edit them:

#1 "...and for a 5th generation vehicle you would think that most of the little things like lighting, sag and towing would have been taken care of by the engineers"

#34 "... I blame toyota only on the fact that this is a 5th generation vehicle ...."

Translation: It's not my fault I bought the wrong car!!!!

Jimmy Boy,

I will write it AGAIN for the 3rd time since you obviously cant read past your bias on this vehicle. Everything you listed above: " Two tables, a big wooden stand with a large wooden kitchen box, 4 folding chairs, hammock, large steel tea kettle (its not steel, nor is it large), full sized pots/pans utensils (not full size but nice try), Rotopax gas cans, solar panel, full sized shovel, two coolers, stove and propane bottles, 5 gallon water cans, boxes of food, and rubbermaid tubs (these wash tubs are HEAVY Watch out!)......

Every item. Every Item...., except the cooler, rotopax and food is stored and located in the CAMPER AND DISPERSED OVER THE AXLE. It does not add any weight to the trailer tongue. I can hand lift the tongue of the trailer from the ground and put it on the TV. The weight is about 175-200 lbs.

So what facts are you looking for? You keep saying that I am blaming Toyota. I am not. I am simply stating the facts. Facts. Facts that you seem to have a hard time reading in everyone of my posts. Toyota didnt promise me anything. (I have said this twice now). Maybe I should just bold all of this in red so that you can see it and pay attention:

So. Here (once again) are the facts:
-The rear sag is horrible.
-The lighting in the vehicle is horrible. There is no driver contorlled dome light nor ANY third row lighting.
-The tow hitch harness conection is located in the worst possible location for an off-road vehicle.
-The Radio is subpar.
-Vehicle sway and brake sway is bad.
-Some of these items I should have seen during test drive. But I didnt. And I see now.

Those are FACTS. What are your facts? Is there a dome light in your 5th gen 4Run? Is there 3rd row lighting? Is thier sag when you put a trailer on the back? Hows the radio? WHere is your hitch harness plug locator?

Lets hear your facts.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Cliffs Notes for those just joining the conversation:

1. JJMAC doesn't like his truck
2. TEOTWAKI doesn't like why JJMAC doesn't like his truck
3. JJmac needs to slow down
4. Bacon is good.

p.s. Looks like a nice campsite from the pics with the hammock up. Thanks for sharing those, sir.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Cliffs Notes for those just joining the conversation:

1. JJMAC doesn't like his truck
2. TEOTWAKI doesn't like why JJMAC doesn't like his truck
3. JJmac needs to slow down
4. Bacon is good.

p.s. Looks like a nice campsite from the pics with the hammock up. Thanks for sharing those, sir.

BigDaddy,

thanks for the review. I did not have the time to read the whole thread so my own conclusion was perhaps oversimplified.

1. JJMAC goes camping with his family and bring a lot of stuff.
2. TEO did not sleep well last night.
3. Toyota are great cars but could use more lighting inside.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader

Good thing you don't have a diesel or a high powered V8...... then you would be complaining that it started shaking when you were doing 100+mph towing a trailer on a mountain pass.

So really an honest review of the 4runner is:
Poor interior lighting in the back
Bad stock head unit (every vehicle pretty much ever made)
Sags when you load it with camping gear, people, and trailer
Will only do 80mph while towing, with family, up steep mountain passes, with stuff on roof rack

greg mgm

Explorer
JJMAC- I've had many brands of vehicles but I'm definitely biased towards Toyotas. I had a 2nd gen 4Runner with rear saggy springs and they were replaced with Performance Products progressive coils and Doetch Tech shocks (A great combo) I'm not at all offended by your review. I see it as your opinion, which I not going to argue with. But now that you know what works and what isn't working for you, what is the plan? Upgrade the suspension and lighting? Trade for a more HD vehicle? On another note, you'd love a Tundra! No suspension sag, plenty of power, good interior lighting, and rides great. Whoops...sorry for the hijack! :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal

Members online