My honest 2011 Toyota 4runner review

greg mgm

Explorer
Do you have more info on the Taco Rock Raider? A link?
A quick search showed a Jeep Wrangler Rock Raider, but no Taco.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
double-X2 for any brand of vehicle in this price range. Not the fault of the OEMs

Ahem, have you seen the LR3? None of those reported "problems" from this thread. Load leveling suspension, much higher towing capacity, 300hp V8, Oodles of storage room, awesome megawatt sound system, tons of lighting, excellent visibility, etc... Replace the tires and you are good to go....just about anywhere.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Fixed. :D

~If any of you happen to be in or around the Sierra foothills this weekend you're welcome to join us and we can debate this over a case of Pliney.

Dang. We'd all sleep better after that! :beer::camping::chowtime::campfire::steak::friday:

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Ahem, have you seen the LR3? None of those reported "problems" from this thread. Load leveling suspension, much higher towing capacity, 300hp V8, Oodles of storage room, awesome megawatt sound system, tons of lighting, excellent visibility, etc... Replace the tires and you are good to go....just about anywhere.

Dome lights? (hee-hee!) :sombrero:

zidaro

Explorer
OK, just read thru this. Uuhhgg!
i'll keep this simple.

I have a '10 Limited 4runner

It has 3 dome lights that i can reach and control???? How many do i need?
Rear 3row does not have lighting and thats fine.

I live at 8K feet and we have huge grades to climb. It hauls *** up them with a loaded vehicle. It does great passing at any speed. The engine revs. So does my 5.7L V8 Tundra
I would love a V8 in the runner, but it is MUCH more powerful and graceful than my 22re powered 87runner.

I have towed my 87runner on a 16' steelbed carson carhauler with the '10runner. The rear did NOT sag cuz i loaded my trailer correctly. The tow capacity was hugely exceeded (sorry). The '10runner did great and even came up the Sherwin Grade in E.Sierras at 60mph without issues. It stopped fine. It did not sway (see correctly loaded). My Tundra sways in heavy crosswind unloaded.

I have driven this runner enough to know it is a great wheeler for a stock rig. It rails fireroads. Crawls when you want it to. It does exceedingly well on Icy/Snowy roads and i am STOKED to know my wife and kid are VERY safe in it. I have not scraped the tow harness off the rear.

I would love to mod this rig, but my wife loves it the way it is so far. I will get my way eventually, subtly. :)

Steel Pass, Death Valley

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Not bashing the OP, just feel some of your judgements are based on false expectations or factors determined by you. All vehicles are a compromise. I camp heavy too, and build my vehicles to handle it.

N

NorCalBorn

Do you have more info on the Taco Rock Raider? A link?
A quick search showed a Jeep Wrangler Rock Raider, but no Taco.

It was a working title Toyota was using and after looking it is now referred to as the T/X and T/X Pro packages, T/X Pro being the one I was referring to. Funny b/c there was one at a local dealership along with a Tundra w/ the same trim title and badging on the sides. I went by there to get you a pic around 7pm and apparently they both were pulled into the body shop the day before and had the bedside badging swapped out to the T/X Pro for the Tacoma and plain old TRD for the Tundra. Maybe they didn't know it was a name Jeep was going to use at the time? They've even pulled it from the U.S. database as well as their global site. :Wow1:
*Yes it's 2:47am, yes, I got my beer, and yes, oddly enough I brought the laptop to do picture edits and discovered we have wifi here..I bet the campers around us are going ****** dude, seriously, playing on your laptop out here??!! LOL.

Here's the old pic they were using for the Tundra..
03_09_Tun_TRD_RWP.jpg

and here's the "T/X Pro"..
2011_TRD_Package.jpg

JJMAC

Adventurer
Would look better in your sig line

Your total weight is getting closer to reality which is double the base weight of the trailer

You are the one taking this personally because I ask for facts.

Is Macky-Boy really Oxi?

Jimmy, Jimmy Jimmy,..... deflecting. Still not answering any of the questions that I asked you. I gave you facts. What are your facts?

Moderator, Please change thread title to "My honest review of MY FRIEND's 2011 Toyota 4runner" Obviously Jimmy James cant see facts when he is blinded by his scary love for this vehicle and its manufacturer.

I have already admitted that its the purchaser's fault. But facts are still facts.

Jimmy, How do you even get sleep when you read reviews by Car and Driver or Road and Track?

JJMAC

Adventurer
Jimmy, Jimmy Jimmy,..... deflecting. Still not answering any of the questions that I asked you. I gave you facts. What are your facts?

Moderator, Please change thread title to "My honest review of MY FRIEND's 2011 Toyota 4runner" Obviously Jimmy James cant see facts when he is blinded by his scary love for this vehicle and its manufacturer.

I have already admitted that its the purchaser's fault. But facts are still facts.

Jimmy, How do you even get sleep when you read reviews by Car and Driver or Road and Track?

OK, just read thru this. Uuhhgg!
i'll keep this simple.

I have a '10 Limited 4runner

It has 3 dome lights that i can reach and control???? How many do i need?
Rear 3row does not have lighting and thats fine.

I live at 8K feet and we have huge grades to climb. It hauls *** up them with a loaded vehicle. It does great passing at any speed. The engine revs. So does my 5.7L V8 Tundra
I would love a V8 in the runner, but it is MUCH more powerful and graceful than my 22re powered 87runner.

I have towed my 87runner on a 16' steelbed carson carhauler with the '10runner. The rear did NOT sag cuz i loaded my trailer correctly. The tow capacity was hugely exceeded (sorry). The '10runner did great and even came up the Sherwin Grade in E.Sierras at 60mph without issues. It stopped fine. It did not sway (see correctly loaded). My Tundra sways in heavy crosswind unloaded.

I have driven this runner enough to know it is a great wheeler for a stock rig. It rails fireroads. Crawls when you want it to. It does exceedingly well on Icy/Snowy roads and i am STOKED to know my wife and kid are VERY safe in it. I have not scraped the tow harness off the rear.

I would love to mod this rig, but my wife loves it the way it is so far. I will get my way eventually, subtly. :)

Steel Pass, Death Valley

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Not bashing the OP, just feel some of your judgements are based on false expectations or factors determined by you. All vehicles are a compromise. I camp heavy too, and build my vehicles to handle it.

There were no false expectations. I purchased the vehicle. I take full responsibility for what I purchased. But again you toyota lovers are not seeing the facts. Blinded by your unconditional love..

Really? No need for 3rd row light? No need for lighting in the cargo area? Do you have kids? Do you use the cargo area at night while camping or doing anything at night?

Yes. I get it I can build the car to into what I need it for. But I am not interested in turning a grocery getter into a off-road vehicle. It obviously cant handle that if stock I cant tow a trailer at half the towing capacity with a family of 4 for a 3 day camping trip on forest roads.

Explain to me exactly how you properly loaded your trailer and I didnt? This is not my first car, nor my first camping trip. I have towed heavy equipment for a living as well as personally and am quite familiar with towing. I stated earlier that our Sienna pulled the trailer and gear just as easily as this 4runner. The only difference was the clearance.

Yes. I can go buy new wheels, new shocks, new LED's, get air bags a new radio, air filter, head unit, put a light in the engine compartment and get a new radio. I can do whatever I want to make it better. YOU AND JIMMY JAMES DONT GET THE POINT. This is a review of "My 2011 Toyota 4runner". Not the review of a "2011-Completely-Overhauled-by-the-purchaser-and-upgraded-with-after-market gear-4runner".

Good day gents. Keep up the good work and continue to spend all day here or polishing and caressing your cars.

4RExpo

Explain to me exactly how you properly loaded your trailer and I didnt?

You stated that you placed all your weight in the trailer over the axle (which is at the rear of the trailer). Yet the 2011 Toyota 4Runner manual (Page 290) is clear:
"Never load more weight in the back than in the front of the trailer. About 60% of the load should be in the front half of the trailer and the remaning 40% in the rear."

teotwaki

Excelsior!
You stated that you placed all your weight in the trailer over the axle (which is at the rear of the trailer). Yet the 2011 Toyota 4Runner manual (Page 290) is clear:
"Never load more weight in the back than in the front of the trailer. About 60% of the load should be in the front half of the trailer and the remaning 40% in the rear."

:wavey:Pssst. Don't talk logic. He'll respond with name calling, accusations of Toyota bias, or other deflection tactics that he so freely accuses others of.....

Time to go softroading! Off to the local National Forest fire roads to rip off my tow harness..... Pictures later.... :safari-rig:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman