My honest 2011 Toyota 4runner review

zidaro

Explorer
toyota sucks,
buy a ford, they can handle anything out of the box.
I loved our 98 explorer and miss it so much.
Good luck with the sale

maxama10

Welcome to Nevadafornia
Just for the record I think your facts seemed more like opinions.

So. Here (once again) are the facts:
-The rear sag is horrible. Opinion
-The lighting in the vehicle is horrible. Opinion There is no driver contorlled dome light nor ANY third row lighting.
-The tow hitch harness conection is located in the worst possible location for an off-road vehicle. Opinion
-The Radio is subpar. Opinion
-Vehicle sway and brake sway is bad. Opinion
-Some of these items I should have seen during test drive. But I didnt. And I see now.

Those are FACTS (OPINIONS). What are your facts? Is there a dome light in your 5th gen 4Run? Is there 3rd row lighting? Is thier sag when you put a trailer on the back? Hows the radio? WHere is your hitch harness plug locator?

Lets hear your facts(opinions).

Good thing you don't have a diesel or a high powered V8...... then you would be complaining that it started shaking when you were doing 100+mph towing a trailer on a mountain pass.

So really an honest review of the 4runner is:
Poor interior lighting in the back
Bad stock head unit (every vehicle pretty much ever made)
Sags when you load it with camping gear, people, and trailer
Will only do 80mph while towing, with family, up steep mountain passes, with stuff on roof rack
Exactly what I have said all along.

... and like I said the issues you have in your review seem so minor that I think no one is taking it seriously. It's not that we don't acknowledge that there may be 'real' issues but it's that we expect these kinds of things, with most vehicles. They're easily addressed and typical, and I think that is why you are getting so much negative feedback to your review.

Edit: I'm not trying to be a ******** but I guess I just think maybe your expectations are a bit high.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 13060

(snip).... I gave you facts. What are your facts?

I have already admitted that its the purchaser's fault. But facts are still facts.

JJMAC, facts?....... what facts???

As stated above, you gave us opinions.

If you want to give us an "honest review" of YOUR 2011 4-Runner then give us FACTS we can use. As it stands your review is worthless. Nobody knows just how much weight it took to get the car to sag like that and consequently they/we have no useable info to use as a guide to see if it will work for their/our needs.

Motor Trend and Road & Track use the track, a dyno and a scale to give us FACTS that can be used and compared in a review.

How much weight and where would be a good start. If we have numbers (FACTS) to work with then it can be said that the sag was too much. Otherwise, like maxama10 said, it's just YOUR opinion......

YMMV RON

RR1

Explorer
Unfortunately the only real off-road Toyotas don't come to the US..Booo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7pYDcRx0ys&feature=player_embedded#at=35

Could have Icon build something similar with US Spec parts....of course it falls out of the "stock straight from the factory category" though. :ylsmoke:

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

zidaro

Explorer
Thought i would add some FACT/Tech to this thread:

Clearance of the trailer plug. 2" above spare tires lowest point. Well concealed and nowhere near striking distance for any normal trail unless you are DROPPING your rear on ledges or rocks. I couldnt "scrape" this off on a road if i tried.

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003-2.jpg

2 bright tailgate camp lights, they light the cargo area ok for locating items, reading labels is possible, but a novel might give ya sore eyes- though LED would make these better

DSC_0004-1.jpg

JJMAC

Adventurer
Could they make it harder to get to?:ylsmoke:

Exactly.

Fact #300:
Those that think it doesnt catch have never towed a camper off road with it.

Fact 301: Its not the outlet that ripped off boys. It was actually the wiring harness.

Fact 302: The outlet is too far away from the hitch requiring a long harness. It is to far to the left so that when the TV is taking a right turn you better have extra length in your harness to compensate. This extra length in the harness almost drags along the ground when the TV is straight. Its terrible.

Fact:

This is my 2007 Frontier with the exact same setup. Same camping gear except for one thing. The truck is holding WAY MORE than it should because we were moving cross country. There is a 500 lb safe in the bed with guns and about 100lbs of ammo as well as bikes and a ship ton of other gear to include a full size ladder, a hydrolic lift, 3 rubbermaid bins filled with crap and 4 jack stands.

Not nearly the rear sag of the 4runner.

2h541af.jpg

I am also going to take Jimmyboys advise and change my signature as he requested.....

Last edited:

JJMAC

Adventurer
JJMAC, facts?....... what facts???

As stated above, you gave us opinions.

If you want to give us an "honest review" of YOUR 2011 4-Runner then give us FACTS we can use. As it stands your review is worthless. Nobody knows just how much weight it took to get the car to sag like that and consequently they/we have no useable info to use as a guide to see if it will work for their/our needs.

Motor Trend and Road & Track use the track, a dyno and a scale to give us FACTS that can be used and compared in a review.

How much weight and where would be a good start. If we have numbers (FACTS) to work with then it can be said that the sag was too much. Otherwise, like maxama10 said, it's just YOUR opinion......

YMMV RON

Holy moses you guys are amazing! Lets try this again.

Fact: No driver controlled dome light.
Fact: No third row dome light.
Fact: Poor cargo lighting for nightly outdoor access to items stored.
Fact: My Harness ripped from the socket on a forest road.
Fact: Engine is not as responsive as my old Nissan Frontier.
Fact: The rear sagged terribly when I went camping with the same equipment (minus over 600 lbs of other crap) in the picture above.
Fact: The engine screams going up mountain grades. My Frontier did not.

Opinion: Radio is subpar
Opinion: Car is more a grocery getter than an offroad vehicle (stock)
Opinion: Air conditioning is lacking (I give this a pass because its a black car in AZ)

One last fact: You guys love Toyotas so much you can't see the truth.

And your facts please? How bought Jimmy? Where are his?

Last edited:
N

NorCalBorn

*OK, sorry JJMAC, but now I'll add a disagreement point instead..

How can you compare the factory 4Runner in the original post fairly against a Double Cab Short Bed NISMO with upped spec and leaf springs? Now if you want apples to apples try at the very least a Trail Edition spec which I don't think yours is.

Moving on..

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
agreed, you are missing the fact that this is a SUV with coils made for comfort not a truck with leafs made for hauling

btw I appreciate the our review, I know you didn't have to post it and appreciate you taking the time to respond and originally post. We are not being brand blind so stop saying that. We would have the same issues if you were talking about a explorer or xterra.......

at the very least it's given us something to BS about:ylsmoke:

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
just curious......why did you sell the frontier? I've always like the 4doors one, the styling is much better than the current taco IMHO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk