My new 79 Series Dualcab

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Sorry to hear/see you rolled the truck and totaled it. I know it sucks but at least you had insurance. I only carried liability on mine since it was a toy, I owned it and hard to get coverage on a 24yr old truck that is built up a lot. Mine mechanically is good though and can be harvested for parts or...used as the platform for the next build. Could you part yours?

Cheers

Because the insurance company has written it off it goes up for auction, I should get paid out in full and the ability to purchase a similar vehicle. Still deciding though on what to get.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Glad to see you are alive. I guess I won't be buying your truck in 24 years like we talked about!!!!

I'm thinking just crash into the bull. Lock them up and lean back. It sounds like you weren't going highway speeds. You live to learn so I'm so glad you are alive. I do believe it's due to the structural rigidity of the 70 series. I don't think a lighter but more safety feature car would have mattered. In a more nimble car you could have a better chance swerving but no chance hitting the bull due to being lower. The bull weighs the same as a mid size car and would come through the windshield. In your case I think it would have been a massive impact but counteracting the impact energy on the front of the ute. Swerving usually causes more problems than good. Here we have deer but the jump as they run so they usually jump up and come through windshield on impact. That bull would have just got hit and dragged in front of the truck bringing you to a stop.

Again glad to see you are alive and able to continue your passions.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Glad to see you are alive. I guess I won't be buying your truck in 24 years like we talked about!!!!

I'm thinking just crash into the bull. Lock them up and lean back. It sounds like you weren't going highway speeds. You live to learn so I'm so glad you are alive. I do believe it's due to the structural rigidity of the 70 series. I don't think a lighter but more safety feature car would have mattered. In a more nimble car you could have a better chance swerving but no chance hitting the bull due to being lower. The bull weighs the same as a mid size car and would come through the windshield. In your case I think it would have been a massive impact but counteracting the impact energy on the front of the ute. Swerving usually causes more problems than good. Here we have deer but the jump as they run so they usually jump up and come through windshield on impact. That bull would have just got hit and dragged in front of the truck bringing you to a stop.

Again glad to see you are alive and able to continue your passions.
Unfortunately it wont be for sale in 24 years.

I was actually doing 110km/hr which is roughly 68mph.

Hindsight is a great thing but unfortunately I cannot undo what has been done.

DetroitDiesel

Adventurer
Unfortunately it wont be for sale in 24 years.

I was actually doing 110km/hr which is roughly 68mph.

Hindsight is a great thing but unfortunately I cannot undo what has been done.

Well at that speed the fact you are alive is all that matters. By reading your post I envisioned you were going slow trying to take pictures and looked back forward and a bull was there you swerved and it rolled on a fluke. You actually did the right thing I would say head on at 70 youre struggling. I would say that's a statement to the 79 strength that it handled a high speed roll despite the lack of all the modern safety features. Now buy a used 200 with the money! Those things are tanks. Again glad you are alive. Trucks can be replaced.

m.tran

good to hear you are ok. was reading your build with great anticipation. i love the 70 LCs. it's hard to get one at a reasonable price where i live (Vietnam, 150% import duties, 15% registration, 10% VAT on top of the lot). i also wonder the trade off for having a fun but no frill vehicle such as the 70 versus a more modern Hilux or 200.

Question: in OZ, are you legally allowed to use your spots on highways or only offroad? I always see Australians with huge spotties on their trucks.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
good to hear you are ok. was reading your build with great anticipation. i love the 70 LCs. it's hard to get one at a reasonable price where i live (Vietnam, 150% import duties, 15% registration, 10% VAT on top of the lot). i also wonder the trade off for having a fun but no frill vehicle such as the 70 versus a more modern Hilux or 200.

Question: in OZ, are you legally allowed to use your spots on highways or only offroad? I always see Australians with huge spotties on their trucks.

We can use our spotlights on any open road so long as there is no on coming traffic, we always dip our lights. Without spotlights it would be very dangerous to be driving of a night.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
Well I finally got some photos of my new vehicle sitting at the dealers.

Air Conditioning
5 x BFG AT KO2 28575R16 33Inch Tyres
ARB DELUXE COLOUR CODED STEEL WINCH COMP BULLBAR W/FOGLAMPS - COLOUR MATCHED 1F7
ARB STEEL SIDERAILS & STEPS - COLOUR MATCHED 1F7
REDARC DUAL BATTERY SYSTEM BCDC CHARGE WITH SOLAR INPUT & DUAL FRIDGE SOCKET MOUNTED ON TRAY HEADBOARD CENTRE
EFS XTR GVM UPGRADE 2 INCH LIFT
LRA AUX TANK 90LITRE
OVERHEAD OUTBACK CENTRE CONSOLE & GME UHF & ANTENNA
RHF A PILLAR POD WITH PYRO/BOOST GUAGE & DUAL BATTERY VOLTAGE GUAGE
ROO SYSTEMS CHIP & 3INCH EXHAUST
SAFARI SNORKEL
LED LIGHTBARS AUSTRALIA 225W BLACK EDITION LED LIGHTS 10 INCH - SET
TOYOTA GENUINE HD ALLOY TRAYBODY 1800MM
WARN 12000LB WINCH WITH SYNTHETIC ROPE
STREET LEGAL TINT (DARKEST LEGAL)

+ Bonus Toyota Genuine Towbar Assembly 3500kg with 7 Pin Small Round Plug & Towball.

IMG_4192.jpg

IMG_4194.jpg

IMG_4193.jpg

Rumpig

Adventurer
The more i look at the silver coloured ones, the more i wish i had chosen to get that colour myself now.
I see you chucked a Safari snorkel on it...heard from a mate at ARB that Airtec (i think he said) are releasing a 3 1/2" snorkel for the 79's in January. I'll be looking at changing my factory "snorkel" at some stage next year, also be upgrading to a Beaudesert 3" exhaust before that aswell. Might add the aux fuel tank to my shopping list that you have fitted to yours, though will have to investigate how it fits with my canopy set up and the fitment of a 3" exhaust system (think it only effects the twin 3" system though). I have actually started a future shopping list for my 79 on my phone, the list is starting to grow more then i ever thought i'd be putting on my new vehicle...guess that's the problem of going from a fully decked out rig to a new naked one, and checking out other peoples build threads...lol.

Scott H Murray

Adventure Photog
The more i look at the silver coloured ones, the more i wish i had chosen to get that colour myself now.
I see you chucked a Safari snorkel on it...heard from a mate at ARB that Airtec (i think he said) are releasing a 3 1/2" snorkel for the 79's in January. I'll be looking at changing my factory "snorkel" at some stage next year, also be upgrading to a Beaudesert 3" exhaust before that aswell. Might add the aux fuel tank to my shopping list that you have fitted to yours, though will have to investigate how it fits with my canopy set up and the fitment of a 3" exhaust system (think it only effects the twin 3" system though). I have actually started a future shopping list for my 79 on my phone, the list is starting to grow more then i ever thought i'd be putting on my new vehicle...guess that's the problem of going from a fully decked out rig to a new naked one, and checking out other peoples build threads...lol.

It is amazing at how quickly these things add up ;) I am still patiently awaiting delivery.

Willman

What a story you have! Sorry to hear about the first 79. But your new 79 is sure pretty! Love that color!

SWITAWI

Doesn't Get Out Enough
Great looking truck, Scott!

Question on the antenna. Why is the burly, thick fiberglass mast the predominant style Down Under? I know zip about your communications regulations or what wattage you guys are broadcasting at, but I figure you need all the radio power/range and antenna sensitivity you can get in the middle of nowhere, right?

Here in the U.S. it seems like the next repeater is always just around the corner and the most powerful multi-band mobile radios available in our market are 50watt straight off the shelf.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online