My next step after Toyota disspointment

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of staying with the current truck you have and fixing it. Sure ti will cost some money but that particualr engine is worth keeping because of how reliable it is when properly fixed.

I wouldn't completely rule out an expedition....they aren't the worst vehicles ever...but then again they are definitely not the best...I have a 98 F150 which is basically the same thing as an expedition...sure it has it problems but I have 220k on the odo... weak aftermarket support but I have been surprised numerous times with the places it has taken me.

If you do go the route of rebuilding the engine, here's a tip my dad taught me when it came to tearing down an engine. TAKE PICTURES. You most likely have a phone capable of holding hundreds of pics. If you need to remember where a hose or a wire connects to, take a pic. If you need to remember anything at all, take a picture. Just take pictures.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I'm well-known for my dislike of Toyotas and all for having fewer people drink the Toyota kool-aid.

But let's face it - the example you had is hardly a fair way to assess the whole brand. If you like the idea of a Yota don't let that example put you off.

I don't drink much KoolAid but I do have a 2005 4x4 4Runner with 209,0000 miles on the original drive train. I had a right front wheel bearing go out 2 weeks ago. Probably was preventable but should I blame Toyota? :sombrero:

My 1989 Ford Bronco lasted 20 years with one drivetrain rebuild and I ran Arco cheep-gas for most of those years. I sold the truck to a local 16 year old girl along with a 100 gallons of Ford KoolAid.... :coffee:

Anyhow, the OP doesn't need brand wars but instead wants to obtain some solid advice on a good model of Suburban to purchase. He has already stated that the number of kids will increase and the 4Runner will be too small even if repaired.

Monteros & Troopers have issues with dealer support and won't be big enough for a kayak, kids and towing. I think that the 'Burb's gas mileage is the biggest problem.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
If I understand your antipathy towards Toyota is not based so much on the fact that your nearly 30-year-old engine crapped out, it's that you paid so much for that Toyota name in the first place. I'd say chalk that one up to experience and move on. IMO a 1st gen 4runner is way too small/underpowered for what you need anyway, 2 adults and 2 kids plus all your gear.
You know, older vehicles are like old TV shows. Don't know how old you are but those of us who are middle aged usually have fond remembrances of TV shows or movies from our youth. And then...we get the DVD release or watch the old show on Netflix or something and we say "huh. It's not as good as I remember it."
Well, I think vehicles are like that too. We lust after the vehicles that we couldn't afford when we were kids but the reality of owning one isn't nearly as nice as the fantasy that lives in our heads. The 1988 4runner was a great vehicle. For 1988.
But compare it to a modern vehicle and it's underpowered, cramped, tinny and cheap feeling. That's not the vehicles fault, of course, it is what it is. But as we get older we get used to certain things and it's a little jarring to get into a vehicle that was made in an era when paper-thin sheetmetal and 100hp engines were considered normal.
If you can live with less-than-stellar MPG I think a Suburban/Tahoe or Expedition might work for you. You didn't say what your budget was but there are lots of them out there for not a lot of $$. Yes, they're going to need work but there's nothing in the sub-$5k market that's not. Around here (CO) I see a ton of older full sized trucks and SUVs. They can't all be POS's if there are that many on the road. ;)

Hodaka

Adventurer
Almost everyone I know who has owned a 4cyl Toyota truck or runner for any amount of time has had to do headgaskets. Part of the price of admission for owning one.
That being said, they do hold their value - as you know - and as long as it is not rusty it's probably worth fixing up. You might even decide to keep it.

toylandcruiser

Expedition Leader
Almost everyone I know who has owned a 4cyl Toyota truck or runner for any amount of time has had to do headgaskets. Part of the price of admission for owning one.
That being said, they do hold their value - as you know - and as long as it is not rusty it's probably worth fixing up. You might even decide to keep it.

Ask Subaru owners about head gaskets.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Gas mileage isn't a huge concern as my DD is pretty good on gas, and I'm willing to sacrifice mpg for the return in towing ability and space. As mentioned, I'm planning to drop a new motor in it and get it in good working order as time permits. At the moment a child is still a ways off (at the very least 9 months) and I have nothing to tow at the moment, so the truck should serve me well for at least a year, and despite my disposition towards Toyota's resale value and desirability, with a properly working and warrantied engine, that same disposition I have will certainly change in the event I need to upgrade. After I fixed a cracked head on my Subaru (not the car's fault), it was truly a stellar vehicle and I felt confident taking that thing coast to coast and had it in places I most likely shouldn't have had it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I was gunna say.... hahaha every 110k miles!

After having two 2.5's I have a theory on this. #1 the 09 and earlier Subarus had week cooling systems trust me live and play in CA you learn which cars have weak cooling systems really quick! My 2001 actually had a TSB on the driver side head gasket it started to drip at 60K - Subaru replaced it no questions asked no warranty etc it was perfectly fine at 180,000 miles when we decided to get a larger ride we were running out of space in the old 2001 Legacy Sedan. The 2010 2.5 is the same engine family but it has a multi layered Gasket and semi closed deck very similar to the Turbo engines which never had any HG issues.

A very large portion of the Subarus with HG issues are most likely due to being run hot and hard to long. Nearly every road trip in CA I found conditions that would spike running temps on my old Subaru, I watched temps like a hawk and never ran it hot - never had any issues with it. The 2010 is light years better cooling system is far far far better same with the exhaust which was a contributor to the heat issue the older cars built up lots of exhaust heat. Crossing CA during the summer months you can spend hours in 100+ temps even climb 8000+feet in temps pushing 100+ its very easy to cook any vehicle with a weak cooling system.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
Thread hijack:
There was a video about retro-fitting the 98- EJ25 head gaskets with the same art from the 2010- engines that would more or less solve the issue. The ones in my current wagon were done shortly after 200k and I have every intention of replacing them in the early 300k's (soon!). I very rarely have issues with it getting hot, and I think lot of that is a rusted out radiator.
Regardless it's not THAT huge of a project and it's a good idea to get in there and check the cylinders every 100k miles or so, especially with the engine life potential of the EJ motors.

/end hijack

NCFJ

Adventurer
The elephant in the room is your $3K budget number. The reality is that for $3K you are going to get a different list of mechanical issues, no matter the brand you choose. It basically comes down to picking your poison and having money set aside to base line.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
Soo I ended up getting a 4wd 94 Suburban 2500 w/ 5.7 tonight. I couldn't leave Craigslist alone, and I just HAD to atleast go see it right? Surely there are those of you out there who understand where I'm coming from! Anyways, it has 157,000 miles, has cold AC fresh fluids all around, new tires, vinyl seats (fabric front seats), vinyl flooring, floor shifting 4wd and of course swallows my kayak. No check engine lights, no funny smells, no wobbling, pulling to a certain direction.. Everything works as it and I couldn't be happier. Having said that, I still have the 4runner, and plan on tinkering with it while it sits on craigslist. I'll be posting it for sale tomorrow in the FS section if anyone is interested, but it looks as though I'll be heading to the full size forum. Fingers crossed I didn't get burned again, but even if something goes wrong with it, I'm very confident I'm in the vehicle I want to be with for the foreseeable future (sounds like a match.com ad) but thanks again for all the suggestions and advice! It's a bit dark here but I'll start a new thread in the fullsize forum which will include the pics.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Suburban is a good value. We have a late 80s in the family 300,000 miles, hit a deer still runs and goes.

sturdy.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk