My next step after Toyota disspointment

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I know people who swear by the GMT-400 Suburbans and Tahoes with the 5.7. If it has the floor-shift transfer case, even better. People will think you're crazy for getting such a 'big' vehicle (though if you think about it a Suburban is about the same size as a regular-cab long bed pickup) but it should be rugged and easy to find parts for.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
When you said you bought what you did I was thinking the square suburban. ha ha. I have a 2005 z71 burb, works great. Beat on regularly plowing snow etc. You will have lots of years of service from that one you bought.

uberhahn

Observer
if you buy a full-size (Tahoe / Suburban), you will have all the room in the world. i had a '94 Sub 1500. however, not without issues as any used car. in particular, the chevy had an issue with intake manifold leaks and valve tick. if it doesn't purr, stay away unless you want to deal with rebuilds, etc. Fuel economy doesn't exist.

I have 3 kids. My priority was to be able to get all 3 in the 2'nd row in order to maintain storage space in the back. At the time(with all kids in booster seats), a full-size was the only option.

Now, only one kid is in a booster and a JK 4-door fits perfectly.

Rosco862003

Adventurer
It's been great so far and has taken me from Charlotte to Asheville (where I planned on going to Expo East) Chattanooga, and Nashville where I am now without incident, and all the while returning a less than pocket friendly 13 mpg, but I knew that. The plus is that this thing has a 42 gallon gas tank so I don't have to think about the paltry mileage that often. It seems that most of the FS roads that I've come across so far have been closed, but I did find a loose gravel hill climb that made me a believer in the G80 rear locker despite its less than positive feedback overall. My plan was to quickly build a sleep/ drawer combo for the trip and permanent use, but decided that I would use this trip to evaluate what I need vs what I think looks cool, and the truth is I'm glad I didn't build a sleep platform that is flush with the window/body line. My first night was spent at a vacant boat ramp where I was awaken by boaters at 645am and I'm glad I was below the body line truthfully. I know the cool kid's go off the beaten track and set up RTT's but, I'm not a big planner and I like falling asleep wherever is convenient which means that a side street of a strange city or a beautiful boat ramp will be in my future. Having said that, I don't see an elaborate drawer or platform build in my future, but rather will employ the K.I.S.S. method. Breakfast.jpgFontana Lake.jpgTheview.jpg

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
My trooper has 189000 and is still good to go. Maintenance parts have been perfectly available in san diego. My wrangler and cherokee were also great rigs. Both my 87 blazer and my 89 suburban had nothing but issues.

Aside from all that I say put a new motor in the 4runner. :)

Rosco862003

Adventurer
If I were a few years younger I'd entertain the thought but after driving the Suburban, I've realized just how ill suited to my needs the 4Runner is and that I have no intention on putting a new motor in it, but if you'd like to it's for sale! :coffeedrink:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk