My Proffitts 1HD-FT 80 series conversion *UPDATED WITH PICS AND VIDEO*

spallet

Hey I added a safari intercooler to my 1994 hdj 80, very easy to do and works great ,,The Safari Dealer for The USA is in Austin, Texas,,

truelonghorn

Spallet, What? Who? Where? Never knew there was a Safari dealer in Austin...!
Hey I added a safari intercooler to my 1994 hdj 80, very easy to do and *works great ,,The Safari Dealer for The USA *is in Austin, Texas,,

60Dan, very impressed with the set up. I have a 1HDFT sitting on a stand with a 5spd waiting for me to set aside time for the swap. Thanks for posting up details and your experience! Motivation!

Thanks,

Donovan

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Very interested in the pusher pump, sounds like a great addition to any diesel with a single OE pump. Where did you source yours?

spallet

Yes, the safari dealer is in Austin, texas,,,MZM international

I can show you the intercooler set up in the 80,,mine is a European version hdj80, automatic.

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer
Hey I added a safari intercooler to my 1994 hdj 80, very easy to do and works great ,,The Safari Dealer for The USA is in Austin, Texas,,

I too had no idea your could source one from Texas!
All my leads have turned up empty. Tried getting one from Australia but the shipping was outrageous - like $600 outrageous!

Incoming PM ...

Spallet, What? Who? Where? Never knew there was a Safari dealer in Austin...!

60Dan, very impressed with the set up. I have a 1HDFT sitting on a stand with a 5spd waiting for me to set aside time for the swap. Thanks for posting up details and your experience! Motivation!

Thanks,

Donovan

Thanks Donovan! Please document your build when you get going. Any help or advice I can give please let me know

Very interested in the pusher pump, sounds like a great addition to any diesel with a single OE pump. Where did you source yours?

Hi Kurt,

It really is a nice bit of kit for peace of mind and the low pressure ensures nothing is being forced in there, rather it is lending a helping hand. On a side note, if your lift pump is on its way out and your off road on a steep incline, you could run into a fuel starvation issue - so this would help with that too.

I looked all over for the best price, and ended up finding it from www.apeusa.com for $155.

Walbro have a few different models, I went with the FRB-5.

Dan

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Hi Kurt,

It really is a nice bit of kit for peace of mind and the low pressure ensures nothing is being forced in there, rather it is lending a helping hand. On a side note, if your lift pump is on its way out and your off road on a steep incline, you could run into a fuel starvation issue - so this would help with that too.

I looked all over for the best price, and ended up finding it from www.apeusa.com for $155.

Walbro have a few different models, I went with the FRB-5.

Dan

Sweet, thanks! You seem satisfied with the vendor so I'd be happy to send them my money too :D

Guambomb

Adventurer
Thanks Dave!
I didn't get them from Jonsey's but I think they are the same ones Jonsey's sells. They are the Power Stop K1156 drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads.
They get good reviews and the guys on Mud seem to like them. No complaints from me either, I noticed a slight improvement over the stock brakes but nothing earth shattering. The better cooling properties is what I was most interested in for consistent braking while towing.

When are you and the wife planning on that Gatlinburg trip?

Thanks for the info on the rotors. Definitely gonna get some soon.

Probably not gonna make it out to Gatlinburg this year :(. All my vacation money is getting pumped into the 45 build. After that, it's game on.

Looking forward to more updates and videos!

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Hi Dan, awesome, awesome thread! I have to thank you for the candid response regarding costs way back around page 6. I actually expected it to be more costly. I sold my nicely modded 80 a couple of years back, and would like to buy another one some day. I'm lucky enough to live where we only have to wait 15 years to bring in what we want, but your conversion makes more sense. The left hand drive aspect is worth a lot to most people.

The amount of smoke you were making in the gopro video is about what my well tuned 12 valve Cummins 5 speed makes. Not excessive at all. It sounds awesome too, but I think you already know that! Congrats on realizing your dream truck!

Gifu

Observer
That thing sounds great! And very little smoke. Sounds like the new turbo was a nice improvement.
I killed the head on my 1hdft. Waiting for a new/used head from England.

60Dan

Explorer
Thanks for the info on the rotors. Definitely gonna get some soon.

Probably not gonna make it out to Gatlinburg this year :(. All my vacation money is getting pumped into the 45 build. After that, it's game on.

Looking forward to more updates and videos!

Bummer - but pleased to hear your are getting the 45 underway. Do you have a build thread somewhere?
All your rigs are mega drool worthy, excited to see where you go with this one!

Hi Dan, awesome, awesome thread! I have to thank you for the candid response regarding costs way back around page 6. I actually expected it to be more costly. I sold my nicely modded 80 a couple of years back, and would like to buy another one some day. I'm lucky enough to live where we only have to wait 15 years to bring in what we want, but your conversion makes more sense. The left hand drive aspect is worth a lot to most people.

The amount of smoke you were making in the gopro video is about what my well tuned 12 valve Cummins 5 speed makes. Not excessive at all. It sounds awesome too, but I think you already know that! Congrats on realizing your dream truck!

Your welcome thanks for the kind words!
In regards to the smoke, timing, boost etc its all really best guess. If I knew of a shop that could dial this thing in for best performance/boost, optimal fuel economy - basically get the AFR's dialed in right I would get it done. Your fortunate in Canada to not only get these trucks there, but have people who have at least seen one before!
The performance in the low end has definitely improved since turning the boost and fuel up a hair, but EGT's suffer - future mods will have to be an intercooler! :sombrero::ylsmoke:

That thing sounds great! And very little smoke. Sounds like the new turbo was a nice improvement.
I killed the head on my 1hdft. Waiting for a new/used head from England.

What happened? Any advice you can share so I can avoid that pitfall?
What kind of miles did you have on her?

That sounds awesome....diesels rule

Thanks you! Yes they do:smiley_drive:

Guambomb

Adventurer
Bummer - but pleased to hear your are getting the 45 underway. Do you have a build thread somewhere?
All your rigs are mega drool worthy, excited to see where you go with this one!

No build thread yet. It's up in Colorado right now getting the work done. I will probably do a before and after thread at some point. It will have some cool stuff on it when it's all done, that's for sure.

Cummins dudes must be jealous when they see and hear your cool ride rollin around Memphis.

4Rescue

Expedition Leader
Such a great truck mate... I've also gotten some great leads from this thread for my build (the Saf. IC kit and Pusher fuel pump) so thanks and congrats on having a very special and amazing rig. I'm glad to see more diesel dreams finally coming to fruition around here. Hopefully the sheer fact that some of us are willing to go this extra mile to MAKE these trucks for ourselves will finally prove a point to the OEM's. I know several are doing it (GM/Canyon, New Titan/Cummins, Ram 1500/Fiat 3.OL CRDI etc.) but it's high time Toyota brought their world class diesels here for us. All the best to ya and enjoy that beautiful rig and that clattering/whistling sound that's music to our ears...

Cheers

Dave

60Dan

Explorer
Windrock GSMTR 2014

Just got back from 2 days in Windrock TN for the annual Great Smokey Mountain Trail Ride (GSMTR), hosed by STLCA.
I was told over 130 vehicles had registered, most of them started to trickle in Thurs, Fri and Sat.

We had an absolute ball! For those of you who have never visited Windrock or who are on the fence about going, just do it! Amazing scenery and all kinds of trails from easy to extreme.
They have basic primitive campsites where we stayed or if you have the Mrs in tow, cabins also :ylsmoke:

Whenever I have the opportunity to take the truck off road, Im reminded what an excellent platform the 80 series is.
It truly is equally as happy on pavement, as well as off.

I had the opportunity to meet some new like minded guys, and reconnect with old ones, who all have a passion for this - or sickness ... I can never tell the difference! :p

Im very humbled and surprised to say I was awarded the 2014 Committee Choice award for "Vehicle we would love to own", thank you to those that voted, I was truly caught off guard!

Dan (ab1985) and his sweet Campteq conversion

60Dan

Explorer
Such a great truck mate... I've also gotten some great leads from this thread for my build (the Saf. IC kit and Pusher fuel pump) so thanks and congrats on having a very special and amazing rig. I'm glad to see more diesel dreams finally coming to fruition around here. Hopefully the sheer fact that some of us are willing to go this extra mile to MAKE these trucks for ourselves will finally prove a point to the OEM's. I know several are doing it (GM/Canyon, New Titan/Cummins, Ram 1500/Fiat 3.OL CRDI etc.) but it's high time Toyota brought their world class diesels here for us. All the best to ya and enjoy that beautiful rig and that clattering/whistling sound that's music to our ears...

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave!
Good luck with your build, let me know if I can help in anyway

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333