My Proffitts 1HD-FT 80 series conversion *UPDATED WITH PICS AND VIDEO*

60Dan

Explorer
Good to hear that the turbo is putting a rather large smile on your face.

I'm currently in Australia punting around in a 1HD-FTE HDJ100R with a few performance mods. The 1HD-FT and 1HD-FTE engines respond very well to boost, fuel and intercooling. The Aussies love to play with these engines and are putting out some amazing figures. A recent upgrade from the Darren at Auto-Craft on a factory 80 with 1HD-FT was punching out just shy of 1970 Hp and 500 ft-lbs at the wheels on 33" if I recall correctly. He installed a tickled up turbo and Safari power front mount intercooler then dynotuned it. Not sure what type of turbo it was. I'll see if I can find the Facebook page with more details.

One question on our EGT's. You mention 1100F and I take it that's post turbo? Just and FYI, the 1HD-FTE engines come out of the factory with EGT temps up to 1800F pre turbo when pushed hard and no mods. The lower you can keep the EGT's the better but they can handle the heat reasonably well. The key is to watch for how fast the temps get up to those numbers and not keep them there for too long.

Enjoy the increased diesel performance. These engines are magic but I'm biased. :sombrero:

Cheers,
P

Wow that's insane!! I really wish I knew a credible tuning shop around here that were familiar with these engines to properly tweak this truck. Unfortunately I can only go off what i read and end up doing a lot of trial and error.

Thanks for the info about the EGTs I didn't know it could take those temps! I was always told anything more than 1400F and your going to start melting things and doing a lot of damage. I'm too much of a wuss to push it that hard!

Do you know if Sadari are still building the front intercooler kit? I've emailed a few places about the kit and have just turned up dead ends?!

Thanks

p1michaud

Expedition Leader
1HD-FT and 1HD-FTE EGT Information

Do you know if Sadari are still building the front intercooler kit? I've emailed a few places about the kit and have just turned up dead ends?!

Yes they are building the kits but have limited distributors even here in Australia. I'll see if I can find a few for you. I did get the EGT information from a Mechanical Engineer who designed and tested the intercooler systems for safari. Just found some of the original discussion on another forum called LCOOL.org. Minor change, my previous comment should have been 1650 Deg. F not 1800.

Extract here from member GCouyant (ps if this is too long or not useful, I can deleted or shorten).

Posted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:28 pm Post subject: Re: True dat
Snip...

I'll take a stab at expanding the discussion and focus it back to our engines specifically.

Let's deal with the relationship between piston temperature, EGT and why the piston temperature is so much lower than the EGT.

Unfortunately, there are no fancy ceramic coatings on 1HDxxx engines. Our pistons are au-naturale, naked babes... As you indicated though, oil is sprayed directly onto the underside of the piston crown in 1HDxxx engines to promote cooling and to continuously have a coating of oil on the bore - however that's only a small part of the piston crown cooling process. Engine oil has a poor heat transfer coefficient and the relatively small oil flow rate and small surface area isn't enough to pull the big temperatures out from those generated during the combustion process.

Heat is cycled. Being a 4 stroke engine, heat is generated during the combustion cycle and the piston (and indeed the whole combustion chamber) temperature increases.

Exhaust stroke and hot gasses are expelled from high pressure to low pressure and there is considerable adiabatic cooling. We see similar when deflating a tyre quickly for example and the temperature of the valve cools significantly.

Intake stroke and relatively cool air floods the combustion chamber. More on this later.

Compression and whilst the temperatures increase slightly, the piston continues to cool.

And w're about to go back into a combustion cycle to repeat it all again. We've just done 4 revs and got one power (heat) cycle.

So we have a single cycle that generates heat and three cycles of cooling. All the while, cooling oil is spraying away from underneath the piston crown.

Let's now get some numbers happening. A 1HD-FT or 1HD-FTE (the same engine mechanically) at full noise sees 190 deg C differential pre and post turbo. A standard 1HD-FTE will see post turbo EGT in excess of 700 deg C (50 deg higher than the peak of this discussion). That's standard.....

Pre turbo EGT is nearly 900 deg, some 250 deg above the melting point of aluminium. In a high performance gasoline application, this temperature can be in excess of 1200 deg C - nearly twice the melting point of aluminium.

Pistons survive these temperatures because they spend most of their working time being cooled.

If I may draw a parallel... Ice-cream melts at room temperature. Pull your favorite paddle pop flavor out of the freezer, and leave it on the bench for a minute, then put it back for three. Pull it out again for a minute and etc etc. It'll remain frozen even though you're putting it in an environment that is significantly hotter than its melting point. It works for my favorite banana flavor so I imagine it will for others as well.

When you exceed the piston's temperature threshold, it will grow in size, as you've stated Shann. It's at that point that the piston will grow in size and may nip up in the bore and scrape up and down the bore - usually followed by an expensive rattle.

Oil temperature is a very good metric to indicate what is happening during combustion. For example, on a 1HZ, a good intercooler will pull 40 deg out of the oil temperature. Why? Because during intake cycle, air enters the combustion chamber at 50 deg C instead of 110 deg C and there is less piston crown temperature to transfer to the oil being squirted from below.

If anyone’s still with me, here's the thing that bugs me. People talk about EGT and somehow from somewhere long long ago, someone came up with a figure that people seem to grasp as the holy grail of diesel tuning - and apply it on any engine. Probably pre-internet days so I can't blame it on us nerdy types.

Our engines and the tuning parameters are vastly different even within the 1HXX family of engines. Running stock standard 1HD-FTE EGT will smash a 1HZ engine very quickly. Conversely, tuning a 1HD-FTE to safe 1HZ EGT will needlessly leave a heap of horsepower on the table.

To further complicate the issue, EGT figures tell lies....

The 1HD-X family of engines is direct injection. The head is flat and the combustion chamber is in the piston crown. Fuel is injected directly onto the piston and it's a short and sharp combustion. Very little heat is transferred to the surrounding metal.

The 1HZ family of engines is indirect injection and there is a small pre-combustion chamber inside the head - which leads to a combustion chamber in the head and to all intents and purposes, flat piston crowns. The 1HZ's combustion cycle grows from the pre-combustion chamber with a small flame front and it spills into the combustion chamber proper to complete the burn. It's a lot slower but softer combustion compared to that of the 1HD-XX. The disadvantage is that more heat is transferred to the surrounding metal.

Even with the same amount of fuel and boost pressure, the 1HD-XX will always deliver higher EGT.

So, Shann in your application, your EGT is entirely appropriate. It's not however applicable to a 1HD-FT.

In response to your question though mate, I'd be looking at checking things sooner rather than later. That said, it will be more economical the other way.

So, Mike, are you awake mate? Now that we've thrashed your observations to pieces and seen that the temperatures you're seeing are ********** bang in the hottest part of the RPM range and that they don't continue to climb, I wouldn't lose sleep over it on your 1HD-FT.

I know I've said that once in this thread. If it's twice you're okay. If it is thrice however, you're stuffed Mike. I'm sorry mate but I've inadvertently cursed you so just save yourself the hassle and book it in for the rebuild.

Cheer,
P

60Dan

Explorer
P1, thanks for posting that. Very interesting read indeed.
So 1650 is the magic number. I'm also guessing that's 1650 sustained for a good period of time.

Please post up what you find out about the Safari kits, or if you know another company building a front mount kit in Aus

Cheers

FJRanger

I like getting lost...
So 1650 is the magic number. I'm also guessing that's 1650 sustained for a good period of time.

Please post up what you find out about the Safari kits, or if you know another company building a front mount kit in Aus

Cheers

Wow, that is great info. Thanks!

alia176

Explorer
You know your right - I think my rig alone weighs around 5500lbs!
I'm going to weigh everything at a truck stop when it's all finished

I think your rig is closer to 6600 lbs, based on the typical stuff that all 80 owners tend to install on their rig. Mine sits at 6920 lbs with a full tank, me, the Border Collie and the 7 year old. So, two bumpers, sliders, cargo drawer, two batts, york, winch and you're pretty much there.

p1michaud

Expedition Leader

Cheers

Yep, that's full noise for reasonably long period. Found one local company who can order in the Safari Power front mounted intercooler kits. They are called ProDyno. I know there are others. If I recall correctly, price was $1200 AUD for the kit.

Have you tried to contact Safari Power directly? They make an intercooler specifically for the 1HD-FT engine in an 80 series: Safari Intercooler System - SC1HDFT. Contact details are:

Head Office: Safari Automotive Technologies Pty. Ltd.
73 Merrindale Drive, South Croydon 3136 Australia.
Tel: +61 3 9761 7244 Fax: +61 3 9761 7665

List of suppliers and webpage contact here.

Cheers,
P

Wheelingnoob

Adventurer
Shhhsh 1650f EGT sustained is bloody hot. I would not want to run my high priced diesel up at those temps. Why not tune with AFR's instead?

60Dan

Explorer
Update time ...

Been a while since I've updated this thread. I feel like you all have shared this adventure with me, so why not let us continue!

So far I have logged over 14,000 miles since I first took delivery from Proffitts, and Im happy to report not one hiccup.
As our big trip out to Yellowstone, Montana and Mt Rushmore draws ever nearer (90 days, 2 hours, 28 minutes as of this posting!), I have strived to make what I believe to be worthwhile upgrades, additions and improvements to an already amazing vehicle.

Its hard to believe that as of this year the truck is 20 years old, and her diesel heartbeat 18 years old.
With that in mind, there are going to be parts that are wearing out, and Im trying to take the preemptive steps to be proactive, rather than reactive where possible.

The injection pump on this engine is a workhorse. It pulls the fuel from the tank, meters it, distributes it to the injectors, and returns what is not needed it back to the tank. I elected to install a Walbro FRB-5 pusher pump.
Why you ask ... Insurance. After talking to various diesel shops and fellow diesel Landcruiser owners, if the lift side of the injection pump stops working, then the fuel in your tank has no way of getting to the engine which is now starved of fuel and you are left stuck on the side of the road. I don't know the full history of this engine, but I would guess that this is the original pump from all the factory paint on the line up marks - meaning its an 18 year old pump with close to 220,000 miles on it.
The Walbro Pusher pump is a very low pressure pump that basically gives the lift side of the injection pump a helping hand. It will also completely take over the fuel delivery should the lift pump fail all together. <--- Handy if in the middle of no-where! Also handy when doing fuel filter changes :ylsmoke:
Ive had a few diesel shops tell me that if I want to keep my injection pump off their work bench, adding a pusher pump will do this!

Lots of interesting info on the web about this if anyone is interested.
fuel-pumps_2269_33142508

I removed the ACSD (Automatic Cold Start Device) thermowax plunger on the injection pump and covered it with a blanking plate. There is a pin attached to the plunger that can wear down if its not releasing properly and will end up putting metal shavings into the injection pump. Ive seen pictures on IH8Mud where it broke off and caused mega $$$ worth of damage to the IP.
Lots of people just delete it, and thats what I did too. Happy to say that upon pulling mine, it looked brand new with no signs of wear or damage. With it removed the truck starts and runs exactly as it did before.

Next up I installed drilled and grooved rotors for better stopping power and faster cooling. Ive been working tirelessly on the trailer and fully loaded its pretty heavy. Again, nice insurance and peace of mind having the added stopping power.

disc1.jpg

Installed a set of PFRAN LED interior lights and Reverse lights - wow should have done this years ago! Took 5 minutes to do and kicks out tons of light!

Replaced both tie rods as they were worn. Valve cover gasket was leaking. Thought this would be a good opportunity to check the valves. Kudos again to Proffitts - every valve was tight and right on spec.

New stereo went in January and I'm currently in the process of putting in some new speakers, lining to doors with FatMat and cleaning the window tracks.

Other than that the only "big" job that I have to do is rebuild the knuckles. They are not terrible, but are leaking so it needs to be address before I head out on our trip.

OK enough with the reading, how about a video?!

Ive been tweaking the fuel and the boost a little to see what works best for me. My "technical" method for tuning is small adjustments, followed by a drive, then repeat!
I used a GoPro to measure how much smoke I was putting out under normal driving conditions and pulling my camping trailer so I could see how much to adjust the fuel. Figured why not add those clips together and make a short video for my Expo readers!

Hope you enjoy it

NM-Frontier

Explorer
Sounds like your ready to go! That's a good idea with the Gopro, and fun to listen to, that thing sound great. Have a good trip.:sombrero:

stolz

Adventurer
Your land cruiser sounds amazing. Just read through your whole build thread. Amazing build, now I am inspired haha. :)

Guambomb

Adventurer
Video sounds awesome Dan! Excited for you on your upcoming trip.

Did you happen to get those rotors from Jonsey's? I've been thinking about getting a set.

60Dan

Explorer
Sounds like your ready to go! That's a good idea with the Gopro, and fun to listen to, that thing sound great. Have a good trip.:sombrero:

Thanks - I'll post up some pictures when we get out there and report back how the truck did. The GoPro helped out for sure!

Your land cruiser sounds amazing. Just read through your whole build thread. Amazing build, now I am inspired haha. :)

Thanks so much! Careful, its addictive. Are you sure your ready to go down that slippery slope! LOL

dat video doe.... made me feel funny, like when we used to climb the rope in gym class.

LMFAO!! Well I can't argue with that - your logic is undeniable!!

Video sounds awesome Dan! Excited for you on your upcoming trip.

Did you happen to get those rotors from Jonsey's? I've been thinking about getting a set.

Thanks Dave!
I didn't get them from Jonsey's but I think they are the same ones Jonsey's sells. They are the Power Stop K1156 drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads.
They get good reviews and the guys on Mud seem to like them. No complaints from me either, I noticed a slight improvement over the stock brakes but nothing earth shattering. The better cooling properties is what I was most interested in for consistent braking while towing.

When are you and the wife planning on that Gatlinburg trip?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh00333