My Proffitts 1HD-FT 80 series conversion *UPDATED WITH PICS AND VIDEO*

r3run33

Adventurer
hello dan sent out a message to ya about the carrier back and forth across the country. Not sure about the PM message thing so let me know if you did not get anything thanks! Love that truck!

60Dan

Explorer
Hi Dave,

LOL yeah maybe a little early - but I'll keep you in mind!!! :p
Yes it has come a long way, and still improving .... look what showed up yesterday from Graeme in Australia :jumping::jumping:

2012-09-21_10-18-52_65_zpsf9ca5b92.jpg

Although with everything else going on at the moment im not sure when I'll get it installed

Basil ... yes I got your message and sent you a reply. Let me know if you didnt get it and I'll copy it in an email to you.

Im also full swing into the trailer build for those of you who may be interested.

Here is the link to the build:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/84303-Modifying-my-LV-416-Explorer

simonliew

TLC import connection
turbo

Hi,you will love the turbo,give me lots of pulling power on my HDJ81,esp when towing....
is this the badboy ?
Simon

60Dan

Explorer
Yes it is. Is that what you are running simon?
How long have you had it on?
Did you change any fuel settings once you put it on?

r3run33

Adventurer
hello dan had to re send the message if you have time try to respond. Hey that is one big turbo; are yugonna upgrade seals etc when installing this??

60Dan

Explorer
Really? Link? Wonder why he is selling.

If its on there its a scam, she is not for sale!

In fact, I just upgraded from 33" MT's to 35" Yokohama AT's.

Work got ridiculously busy toward the end of the year, and what with Xmas expenses and commitments I had to put the turbo on hold ..... however .... I'm planning on having it on in the next few weeks.
I will post a video and some pictures when its complete

60Dan

Explorer
TURBO TEASER PIC ...

BadBoy Gturbo teaser pic.
Should be on the truck by the end of day :victory:

turbo.JPG

60Dan

Explorer
So how much did you end up selling your Cruiser for?

;)

LOL! Guess the "buyer" didnt like it so he gave it back!! :p

Looks powerful!
thumb.gif

Yeah looks menacing doesnt it - JK!!
Like any other CT26 turbo I guess, except for those little wheels inside it that make all the magic happen!

OK I just got back from a test run and WOW! Its a whole different animal than before and I havent done any fine tuning except to slap it on there and go drive it!

While playing with it on the highway I actually found myself overtaking in the fast lane. Although I could do that before, I had to play close attention to the EGT's and on the long hills I was behind the big rigs slowed way down monitoring that pyro gauge.

Before at WOT I was seeing 12lbs of boost at around 2200rpm, EGT's would continue to climb indefinitely if I allowed it
Now at WOT im at 17lbs around 1600rpm, EGT's won't go much above 1050!

Ive added a boost controller but havent messed with it yet. The turbo is capable of 30lbs and Graeme suggested I run a 2 stage boost controller for 18lbs day to day and 25lbs for playing. I opted for a regular boost controller so I could fine tune it based upon my needs for towing, higher elevation etc etc

Pic of new turbo and boost controller

boost controller.JPG
gturbo.JPG

I took a short video on the highway. Apologies for the quality, I was using my phone. I did do a before video of driving around town (should have done a highway vid), which just shows how slow the boost was to come in and how it maxes out at 12lbs. Pretty boring really, but I can upload it if anyone wants to see for comparison.

Top Gauge Boost
Bottom Gauge EGT

What that video doesn't pick up on is the whistle from the turbo when you floor it! You could barely hear it before with the old turbo over the drone of the exhaust but now its very noticeable - in a good way :sombrero:

The requirements I had for this turbo before it was built were lower EGT's while towing my camping rig and more boost in the lower RPM band. He also ported it for me to run cooler at higher boost levels for longer periods as Im still running original 4.10 gears.

Graeme did an awesome job, and if your thinking about this mod I highly recommend it. He can build you one to whatever spec your looking for based upon your needs.

Finally one last pic of the new 35" rubber mounted.
Went with the Yokohama 315/75/16 AT. Much nicer than my previous MT 33" Baja MTZ's. Quieter and good road manners.

35s.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues