My Proffitts 1HD-FT 80 series conversion *UPDATED WITH PICS AND VIDEO*

60Dan

Explorer
I'm looking at a healthy 12psi at wot and it's showing 10-11psi in cruise. Interesting about advancing the timing to reduce EGT's, I'll have to look into how to do that on this motor.

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
Nice!

Over from the 4WD Van forum to say, "I love it!" Just bought a diesel Ford E350 van for converting to 4wd. Gotta love the diesel song!

Brad

ForealBoreal

Observer
John wailing on it some while I take video - bear in mind this is taken in between 2 buildings so there is some echoing going on there :sombrero:

I am absolutely jaw dropped right now. That is a very nice sounding truck. I hope my 77 turbo'd with a 3 inch exhaust sounds like that.
Guess I will find out in a few months time. Congrats! Loving the spooling sound.

uzj100

Adventurer
That is one insane build. Please keep us posted on mpg's.

I plan one day to have my 100 converted to 1HD-FTE with a 5 speed manual or automatic. Hopefully Proffitt's can assist me as well. I want to keep all safety features (A-TRAC, VSC, ABS) and options (Rear AC) it has today as well.

Last edited:

yeti_in_ga

SE Expedtion Society
Wow thanks for the write up and sharing the details. It would be great to keep this thread going with up dates on MPG and other items or issues.

JohnnyS

Explorer
AWESOME build!!
I'm tempted to sell my 40 and send my 80 to Profitts....
How long did it take from when they received it until it was ready to be picked up?

60Dan

Explorer
Hey Everyone,

First off many thanks for the compliments and kind words, i honestly wasnt expecting this kind of response or this thread to generate almost 11,500 views! :Wow1:

Apologies for the delayed response to this thread. About 2 weeks ago I was cutting some metal on my chop saw for a welding project and managed to set part of the garage on fire! Momentary lapse in judgement (<--- read as careless!) which led to a nasty case of 2nd degree burns on my left hand. The project I was working on was adding a 2 can jerry can holder to the bumper swing arm. So gents, you have been warned .... your wallet is not the only thing that can be damaged when undertaking a landcruiser project such as this!! :D

No damage to the house or the cruiser, and no other injuries aside from about 8k in tools - thank goodness for insurance!

Moving on ..... I have ran about 4 tanks of pump diesel through the truck, and 1 tank of my own brew and the best mileage ive seen so far is about 18.5mpg mixed driving.
Not quite the low 20's that I was shooting for, but considering the weight of the truck (bumpers front and rear, sliders, winch, 33" mud terrains, OME lift etc etc), and that its as aerodynamic as a brick, 18.5 isnt terrible.
The biggest reason though that im not seeing those low 20's, I think is because of the gearing. The gearing is still from the gas engine which I want to say are 4.11's, and as a result sitting at 70mph Im turning 2850rpm.
Im going to try and source a Euro spec set of gearing for the HDJ81 and see if I cant bring those RPM's down a little on the highway.

I have to say the truck is an absolute joy to drive! The sound of that turbo spooling as your tear through the gears is like music to my ears!
The 1HDFT when introduced was tuned by Toyota for tighter emissions (compared to the 1HDT), and thus the turbo doesnt tend to come alive until about 2200rpm. Well ive adjusted this some, and now it builds about 1800rpm. There is still more room for tweaking here and there, but over all im happy (for now at least! :D)

Its an absolute torque monster and just keeps pulling and pulling! Im running stock boost at 12psi right now. More boost and an inter cooler may be added down the road, to keep the power band up while towing my camping trailer but for now im having a lot of fun with it.

This coming week Im headed to GSMTR (Great Smoky Mountain Trail Ride) in Sparta TN for wheeling, and camping. So far over 100 trucks have registered so it should be a good event. I went in 2010 in my old FJ60 and it was a lot of fun. Link ---> http://www.stlca.org/gsmtr/

It will be the first time ive taken it off road since the completion of the build. While im not really into the hard core rock stuff, I plan on doing some of the easy to moderate trails to see how the diesel performs. I will report back here next week with pictures and my thoughts.

3 items that will be riding with me that cant be sourced at just any auto parts store here in the US: spare fuel filter, spare starter, and spare alternator. These 3 things I try to keep in the vehicle at all times regardless.

Oh and on the way home im going to drive 60-65mph and see if that gives me any different fuel economy numbers.

:safari-rig::jumping::camping:

Last edited:

60Dan

Explorer
AWESOME build!!
I'm tempted to sell my 40 and send my 80 to Profitts....
How long did it take from when they received it until it was ready to be picked up?

The build took longer than quoted because they were backed up - it took about 8 months. Shouldnt have taken that long, and although it was frustrating at times, having the rig back and done right the first time makes it all worth it. I would do it all over again, those guys know their stuff.

Im starting to like the 40's more and more, but I think this engine or the 1HDT in an FJ45 pickup would be awesome!

fireflyr

Adventurer
I don't have any experience with the Toyota diesels but my Dodge with the Cummins will get 22 to 23 mpg if you keep the rpm below 2000. That's around 65 mph with 3.73s. The high rpm just kills the mpg. Sounds like you have one more mod before you're done.

Great looking truck, I'm jealous.:Wow1::luxhello:

60Dan

Explorer
Hey Fireflyer, Im going to try that on the way home from sparta this week, so i'll report back and let you know.

Oh and I forgot to mention, Im also running a full time transfer case still, so im sure that doesnt help!!

60Dan

Explorer
Managed to get the new dual jerry welded up and mounted. Still need to wire up the license plate light ....

BEFORE
DSC08512.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_2226.jpg

yeti_in_ga

SE Expedtion Society
Looking forward to meeting you and seeing (hearing) this truck at GSMTR ! I will be there Thur afternoon.

60Dan

Explorer
Looking forward to meeting you and seeing (hearing) this truck at GSMTR ! I will be there Thur afternoon.

Same here! We have to head back Thursday, as I have to work Friday. Hopefully I will see you there before I leave. May come back over the weekend if work doesnt call me in :sombrero:

We are packed up and head out in about 20 mins ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater