My Proffitts 1HD-FT 80 series conversion *UPDATED WITH PICS AND VIDEO*

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
ya cheers to you for putting the numbers out there for the world to see. I am sure many people appreciate that.

I have said it before and I will say it again, FYI, in Panama you can buy diesel 80s all day long for $10,000. I haven't looked into shipping from Panama of a half cut or just the engine + gear boxes but I am guessing $5-8k is what it would cost. I mean total too not just shipping.

I think a conversion could be done for the $12-15k range but $18k is not to much above that really. Anything under $20k is what I consider to be reasonable. $20k+ I think is to much, IMHO of course.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
ya cheers to you for putting the numbers out there for the world to see. I am sure many people appreciate that.

I have said it before and I will say it again, FYI, in Panama you can buy diesel 80s all day long for $10,000. I haven't looked into shipping from Panama of a half cut or just the engine + gear boxes but I am guessing $5-8k is what it would cost. I mean total too not just shipping.

I think a conversion could be done for the $12-15k range but $18k is not to much above that really. Anything under $20k is what I consider to be reasonable. $20k+ I think is to much, IMHO of course.

If you wait a couple years, you can find RHD ones in Canada for around the same price. My truck was about that much (I think alot of that was because the PO lived out in the middle of nowhere so it was a long drive for anyone to look at it and I'm also not totally convinced he knew exactly what he had. He didn't know the truck had lockers and a couple of other things). My $10,000 dollar truck's BEB's looked like new when I changed them and it only has 120,000km according to the odometer, which I'm inclined to believe based on the condition.

Either way, I imagine importing from Canada would be a much simpler process.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader

True enough.

I think the point is a donor truck or a half cut is certainly the way to go. I will rephrase what I said above by saying I think it could be done for the $12-15k mark if you do the work yourself. if you pay somebody to do it, $18k is a pretty solid number considering the cost of a donor/1/2 cut.

hovenator

Explorer
Very awesome......All I can do is drool!!! You just made every American Cruiser guy's dream come true (can you tell I'm jealous?!).

tommyd

Observer
If you wait a couple years, you can find RHD ones in Canada for around the same price.

Yeah, but then you have a RHD truck. LHD is more desirable for most folks here. I can't speak for others, but I'd much rather have Proffitt's convert a cruiser that's already titled and registered in the U.S.

Nice truck, Dan. And thanks for posting the prices.

Douglas S.

Adventurer
Yeah, but then you have a RHD truck. LHD is more desirable for most folks here. I can't speak for others, but I'd much rather have Proffitt's convert a cruiser that's already titled and registered in the U.S.

Nice truck, Dan. And thanks for posting the prices.

It's all price versus benefit. How much is someone willing to pay for LHD? For me the answer was easy, but I can still see why others are willing to pay more for LHD. If something were ever to happen to my truck, the engine would end up in a LHD 80.

60Dan

Explorer
Its BACK and its LEGAL!

Well the cruiser is home :wings:

Actually, its been home for a few weeks now but ive been so busy I havent had time to update this thread.
I have to begin by saying the engine is AWESOME! It pulls and pulls and pulls compared to the gas motor. Ive turned the fuel up a hair as the boost is a little slow to come in, and I think there is room for more adjustment but WOW, what an engine. There is nothing cooler than driving with the windows down listening to that turbo spool up and spool down in every gear! Cruising on the highway my RPM's are at about 2800 at 65-70mph running 305/70/16 tires. I may try and bring that down with a rubber overdrive at some point - probably when she needs new tires. I havent done a gas mileage check yet, im in the middle of doing one now. Will report back on that later. I will say though, the needle on the gas gauge moves a lot slower compared to the 1FZ!
Pyro temps at cruise are around 900F at 65mph, but will keep going up if I dont watch what im doing. If I get on a hill and try and accelerate they will climb, so I adjust my right foot accordingly, just to maintain.

On a side note, I used this guy called Jay from Jay Will Transport to ship my truck back from Salt Lake. Guy was awesome, on time, great communication and it was enclosed transport for the price of open transport! Message me if anyone wants his details, great guy to deal with.

OK so the truck arrived with 3/4 tank of diesel in it which I wasnt expecting! Normally a good thing right? But I was so nervous about failing the emissions test (not knowing what to expect), I wanted to run a tank of bio diesel through it for the test. I drove it for a week to use up the existing diesel, threw some home made bio in there and she passed with flying colors :victory:

I got a bit nervous when the guy in the testing station asked me to hold my foot on the gas pedal to bring up the RPM's as the machine was having a hard time reading the emissions (this is not normal for us, normally they just put a sniffer in the tail pipe and let it idle). He said "its having a hard time picking up the Co2 reading"!! Uhhhh, its a diesel I replied!!!
"Oh well that makes a big difference he said", as he clicked on the computer to change the settings.
Now, im not one to judge people, but if your job consists of testing gasoline and diesel powered vehicles, wouldnt you know the difference??? Failing that, I thought the CLACK CLACK CLACK would be a dead giveaway!!

So it passed, it has new tags on it which was the last hurdle in this long winded but satisfying project.

Next on the list, I picked up a 2 can jerry can holder from 4x4 labs which Im going to mount on the left swingarm of the rear bumper hopefully this week.
Dave at 4x4 labs was kind enough to powder coat it but leave a 2 inch bare metal strip around the bottom so I can weld it to a piece of angle iron which will bolt to the arm.

Will post pictures when its done

Gifu

Observer
i highly suggest advancing the timing about 1mm. There is a mark on the pump and the timing case... loosen the two bolts holding the pump to the case... and the larger nut at the back of the pump... then use a small crow-bar and move the top of the pump toward the block... 1mm will decrease your EGT by about 150F.

Then start shopping for intercoolers :)

Gifu

Observer
What sort of boost numbers are you seeing at cruise and wot? 15psi is a pretty safe number, and will also bring your EGT down a hair. You can find a cheapo boost compensator on Amazon or ebay.

I just did both boost compensator and timing bump on my friends 1HZ+T 60 series and it had a 200F drop in EGT... though a long hill with pedal mashed will still get the EGTs pretty high, but not as fast as before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues