My *slow going* M416 camping trailer build.

Jevy

Adventurer
What an awesome set up!!!! I sent you a pm with a couple questions

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

/dev/ram

/dev/yj tow vehicle
Wow, how did I miss this entire thread? Unbelievable build, and fantastic thread showing us everything from the raw trailer to using it out in the world. Really great!
I really appreciate the detail on the electrical in the tongue box - I had been thinking I could get both electrical and water pump, etc. in there, but maybe I'll look to keep the plumbing under the trailer with some protective cover (I'm thinking of a tank in the section between the frame rails just behind the axle, or maybe two on either side).
Again, thanks! Lots of ideas and detail to pull them off!

clap2.gif

Seeker

Adventurer
How do you find sleeping with your toddler in the tent? My wife and I have a ~7-year-old EeziAwn 1800 atop our Chaser trailer and are starting to look at getting back out and camping and one of my concerns is the sleeping arrangement.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
How do you find sleeping with your toddler in the tent? My wife and I have a ~7-year-old EeziAwn 1800 atop our Chaser trailer and are starting to look at getting back out and camping and one of my concerns is the sleeping arrangement.

He stays in the annex in his playpen, it has worked out great. During the storms he came up with us in the top, and it would have been fine but he is a major wiggler when he sleeps. He slept fine, we just didn't because he would crawl up on our faces while sleeping (mostly my wife's). We just make sure the screens are zipped up so he doesn't fall out, and we try to keep him between us - until he moves in the night anyway.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
The wife got me a Trasharoo for the trailer for Christmas, but I think she got it more for her, as she said that when she saw it on my list she thought 'Oh Thank god, a trash can!'

1173_10151577401348294_1790032389_n.jpg

DonBeasley

Adventurer
I find these things to be great. I carry firewood in it on the way out and trash in it on the way back. I have two of them and always seem to find a use.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I never thought of firewood... now I kind of want to get another. Which would work because then I could get the tan one too, green matches my jeep, the tan matches the H3 and trailer.

DonBeasley

Adventurer
Should have painted the lid green and then it would match either vehicle!

How is the lift mechanism working? I am still trying to find a way to do it "with the touch of a button". So far no luck.

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
Should have painted the lid green and then it would match either vehicle!

How is the lift mechanism working? I am still trying to find a way to do it "with the touch of a button". So far no luck.

Where were you 6 months ago before I painted it :bike_rider: LOL I wish I had thought about it honestly, but it does look good the way it is.

It was working well when I put it in storage for the winter. It is a little difficult to raise and lower, but that is mostly caused by the 3/4" plywood I mounted the jack to. I wanted to disperse the pressure a little. It makes it about 1/4" too tall to just slide under the rack system, so I have to lift one side slightly and slide it across the lid to the middle - harder than it sounds. I don't like carrying the extra jack around either.

I also wish the jack went up the full 36" or so, I hate pinning it at the 2/3 position and putting 2 4x4's on top of it to make it go the rest of the way up.

4 - 50lb struts with a 36-38" stroke would make this thing super easy I think, and also not be difficult to lower. I wish I could use the battery somehow for a push button option, but have not come up with a solution either.

hesterj

Adventurer
Very nice set up. I have been thinking of going 7 wire plug from the jeep to my M416. Just need to get to the next phase of the build so the ever so popular harbor frieght nose box can be installed. :)

jeepfreak81

Adventurer
I was asked to post this picture....

One thing is to make sure your pin holes run parallel to the front of the trailer, if you do it perpendicular they will hit the lid. I found that out the hard way and had to drill new ones.

299564_10151599566713294_1923040482_n.jpg

dblosch

Adventurer
Holy $$ Batman!

Henry J mounted a pair of Hi-Lift's on his trailer to use as leveling jacks. Maybe you could do something similar as a lift mechanism? They would make it a two person process to lift the tent though.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/27168-BLT-Offroad-trailer

The push button option would be more convenient, for sure. I'm just cheap I guess, and I like mechanical simplicity. But you certainly have the room in your electrical system. :bowdown: Would you mount them upside down? To center the front lift, would you have to remount the tongue box forward...? I don't remember you having a tailgate on the backside that you would block...

Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nchamp