My Westfalia Syncro!

Syncrogreg

Christian, It's hard to really make a comparission subaru vs. tdi as they are so different. Subie is much faster off a light and likes to rev. It's really nice and smooth. With the TDI you can feel the whole van vibrate a little when it runs. The TDI is way easier to drive off road in technical stuff. The TDI pulls the hills really nice but is way more particular about the gearing as the power band is 1/3 what the subie has. For me I'm currently lusting after a TDI but I'm not going to take apart my running perfectly good syncro, I'm going to build another one! I've been wanting a Doka anyway so my plan is to build one with a pump duse TDI. The newer TDI won't lay over in the van engine compartment but will go in a transporter no problem. I have the trans and front diff with all the trick stuff, just need the truck and the motor! One other thing to consider is that the subaru is about 1/2 the cost up front as the TDI and parts are much cheaper down the road. Still diesel is always cooler that gas IMHO. Either way you can't go wrong.

Hello,
Suby VS Tdi ? hmmm... What about both!!

Check out my conversion starting soon : http://www.vanorama.com/category/vanagon

Cheers,

Greg

JeffRRC

Adventurer
Awesome truck. When I was growing up my parents had a '64 Westfalia. I've wanted one my entire life but haven't managed to grab one. Maybe one of these days. Good luck with your truck and thanks for sharing your progress! :smiley_drive:

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
just a quick note to say that the Syncro is still very well alive...it may make an apparition at the Overland Rally in Vermont...

:)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
well, not much to report - the Syncro is in storage until spring...but just wanted to inform everyone in case you were wondering...

:)

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
http://www.expeditionportal.com/veh...d/943-a-final-farewell-to-my-best-friend.html

burned2.jpg

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
Yea, I read that from Facebook. Man, I'm so sorry! It was a beautiful vehicle with a lot of history.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TurboStagecoach