My White JKU Expedition Build

DallasJKU

Adventurer
looks really good. i like the direction your going, simple yet functional and not to over the top. the weight savings is good. especially if you do lots of traveling, every little bit of possible xtra mpg helps.

Thanks!! I'm not a rock crawler at all. I just love Jeeps for being functional and now with the JKU I can actually store gear or camp inside if necessary. Next mod will be an ORH cargo top hopefully and Line X the inside. I hate carpet especially with a shedding dog.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:sombrero: Keep the hardtop and insulate it, keeps out noise and shields from "HOT" sun-

Don't worry about weight, you have a 4500/5000lb brick and actual weight will have "NILL" effect on trip mileage--ask me I know !!

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

DallasJKU

Adventurer
:sombrero: Keep the hardtop and insulate it, keeps out noise and shields from "HOT" sun-

Don't worry about weight, you have a 4500/5000lb brick and actual weight will have "NILL" effect on trip mileage--ask me I know !!

Good luck

:costumed-smiley-007:wings: JIMBO

I agree with mileage, but with handling weight makes a difference. I will try to keep the hardtop, but I don't have a place to store it and I like the top off in the spring/early summer and fall. July and August in Texas sucks, but thats what the AC is for.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
with the JKU I can actually store gear or camp inside

As I said at the start of all this, KEEP THE HARDTOP! You can just take the two front panels out, and have a top off type experience if you don't want to go through the hassle of taking the whole hard top off.

udoxx

Observer
As I said at the start of all this, KEEP THE HARDTOP! You can just take the two front panels out, and have a top off type experience if you don't want to go through the hassle of taking the whole hard top off.

I second this, especially after buying going through two soft tops on my 200 TJ. The money I spent there could have been saved if I went with the Hardtop to begin with. I didn't make the same mistake when I purchased my JK and it's freedom top.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Finally able to fix my stupidity. It cost me $190 extra, but the TF tire carrier is very solid and does exactly what I wanted. Now I need to decide if I want to keep and mount my Poison Spyder rear bumper or sell it and put on an OR Fab. I will need to mount the PS and then have it powder coated or I can get a OR Fab for cheaper since I can install myself and it comes PC'd. It would save me about $300.

buna6yna.jpg

DallasJKU

Adventurer
On Monday, my Poison Spyder bumper will be sold. Then I will probably order my OR Fab rear bumper. I need to also decide on a soft top option. Not sure if I should look for a stock one or go with Off Road Hero top.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Also just ordered a MetalCloak rear bumper. It was the tightest fitting bolt-on rear bumper I could find. Most of the bumpers stick out too far IMO.

Whats the backspacing on your wheels? Do you have the wheel part number available by any chance? I have an identical setup to you and I love it!! The only thing I dislike is that I have factory Rubicon Rims with 1.5" spacers and they stick out about 1/4" past the fenders. Im looking for some new offset wheels that will tuck inside the fenders so not to spray the side of the jeep with rocks that get stuck in the duratracs, lol. Yours look like they tuck in the fenders nicely.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
Also just ordered a MetalCloak rear bumper.

Which one did you order? I just looked at their site, and I liked the 72" stock full width model. On sale for $458 too. That's getting into the "can't build it myself for that price" range...

Last edited:

PGT

Adventurer
I also had issues with seating the studs on the TF carried, despite using an impact wrench. I think it's not a well-thought out design for a DIY install....the shop used a press to "fix" my mistake but in my opinion (and this thread proves) that I'm not alone in having an issue. Also....I mounted a 35x12.5x17 and with the TF carrier all the way out, it works. Nothing wider would fit.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Whats the backspacing on your wheels? Do you have the wheel part number available by any chance? I have an identical setup to you and I love it!! The only thing I dislike is that I have factory Rubicon Rims with 1.5" spacers and they stick out about 1/4" past the fenders. Im looking for some new offset wheels that will tuck inside the fenders so not to spray the side of the jeep with rocks that get stuck in the duratracs, lol. Yours look like they tuck in the fenders nicely.

Actually mine are the pro comp 7069 and they are actually well past the fenders. They are exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Which one did you order? I just looked at their sight, and I liked the 72" stock full width model. On sale for $458 too. That's getting into the "can't build it myself for that price" range...

I went with the 62". I didn't like the wrap around of the 72". $528 shipped and PC'd.

DallasJKU

Adventurer
Just added some perfect condition Rubi rock rails. They are pretty close but still don't rub with some flexing. Fine for now, but may trim later.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361675246.878073.jpg
zatehy2u.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DQblues