Namibia and Botswana

Scott Brady

Founder
Stephanie and I leave for South Africa in a few days. We will be traveling through Botswana and Namibia during our stay, with an emphasis on photography. If anyone will be in Johannesburg from the 9th-12th, maybe we can meet for a little gathering.

We will be driving in a unique vehicle - here is a hint
attachment.php

Namibia is high on my list of travel destinations - we are very excited.

Attachments

• hint.jpg
    hint.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 774

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Stephanie and I leave for South Africa in a few days. We will be traveling through Botswana and Namibia during our stay, with an emphasis on photography. If anyone will be in Johannesburg from the 9th-12th, maybe we can meet for a little gathering.

We will be driving in a unique vehicle - here is a hint
attachment.php

Namibia is high on my list of travel destinations - we are very excited.

offroad unicycle?

:)

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
If you end up in Swakopmund there is a wonderful Germany style spa attached to the public pool. Great sauna and plunge pool. Great way to get the sand and dirt out of your skin after being in the Namib.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Have a great time! I know a few folks eager for your arrival. I am sure you will have fun. How much space will you have in your luggage for the return flight? I have a few things I need.

Cheers,

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Recipe for sand toboganning in Swakopmund

Buy a 4x2' sheet of hardboard and some furniture polish from the hardware store in Swakopmund so you can toboggan down Dune 4 head first. Most slopes end smoothly except the steepest one which has gravelly sand at the bottom so watch out for your fingers and chin. :)

Have a great trip!

Last edited:

Dust999

Observer
If you need any info re Namibia, Botswana or sa, please pm me. I have just moved from sa to the us and have travelled southern africa extensively.

Scott Brady

Founder
Just working on packing. I enjoyed the benefits of ultra-light packing on the trip to Mongolia and have continued to refine my approach. The search for simplicity has trimmed my kit even further.

This trip is interesting, as we will be using a borrowed vehicle (many, many thanks to FrontRunner USA), so the truck side is mostly covered.

So here is my latest iteration of good gear - stuff I digg. I always find it interesting to see how people pack for travel. For a look at the extreme, check out http://nbc.scottevest.com/ and their no baggage challenge - worth the read.

Electronics:
1. 13" Macbook Air. iPad is off the table for now - just not enough HP.
2. Olympus E3 with a suite of lenses. I suspect I will finally get some great use out of the 70-200 2.8 with the megafauna. The same Canon Vixia HDV as well. These cameras have served me well in 32 countries, but they are ready for retirement for sure. The only reason they have not been replaced is that several new options are on the horizon, including the E5 and GH1. Timing wasn't quite right, so the old standbys soldier on.
3. SPOT
4. .5tb back-up drive

Personal Luggage:
1. RedOxx flying boxcar - the size of a carryon
2. TAD Gear Stealth Hoodie
3. MK Alpine Utility
4. MK Granite Creek
5. TAD Gear Overland Shirt (2)
6. ExOfficio TakeOver Trecker (2)
7. ExOfficio socks (4 pair)
8. ExOfficio wash-n-go underwear (4 pair)
9. Pair of jeans and casual shirt for air travel
10. ExOfficio wicking t-shirts (3)
11. Zamberlan boots

I am enjoying the challenge of packing light. Some of the new technology is really helping this too, with computers like the MBA and the new combined DSLR and HDV cameras, even units like the E Pen or GH2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk