NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
Bypassing the console aux port via the radio harness; iPod integration ver 5.1A

Never quite being happy with the FM integration even that there was feedback from local stations a great deal of the time I decided to see how a solution off eBay UK would work out:
Aux adapter lead

After it eventually showed up about 45 days later due to a lot of confusion about these DPO things, installation was as straightforward as removing the trim and radio, unplugging the appropriate harness, integrating this one and then using the existing RCA cabling I had from the FM setup (which was in turn removed) to install. Works as intended/desired, with good audio quality and no significant volume issues akin to how the rear jack is often plagued. I imagine someone more electronically inclined could figure out the in/outputs on the harness and wire in RCA jacks on their own-for me the solution was worth the $.

2016-01-08 10.11.01.jpg2016-01-08 10.11.09.jpg2016-01-08 10.11.18.jpg

jfe

Really enjoy your thread and this is giving me a lot of encouragement for all my intended mods on my D3. Seeing that there are so much available in the UAE that we do not have here in Qatar is exciting indeed. Get that rear wheel carrier done please I need one as well.

Ray_G

Explorer
Really enjoy your thread and this is giving me a lot of encouragement for all my intended mods on my D3. Seeing that there are so much available in the UAE that we do not have here in Qatar is exciting indeed. Get that rear wheel carrier done please I need one as well.

You should drive over...make the dash through the KSA!
The wheel carrier is still in limbo to be honest. The wife is clearly not in favor of it so it being on the back burner is the safest location for the moment. If Icon gets a Frontrunner shipment in that has an aux fuel tank, the story would change!

jfe

You should drive over...make the dash through the KSA!!

Busy preparing for trip to Oman in April, want to do a 10 day trip. We may cross into UAE but with the new border crossing between KSE and Oman we can avoid that detour.

Ray_G

Explorer
Traxide install

Didn't take too many pictures, others have this pretty well documented and the kit makes this rather simple other than the oft discussed routing of the control box into the cab (I had wires from lights that I used to fish it through). After trying to source a Deka here and being defeated by the common language of English I decided that an Optima would work...except the dude that showed up to deliver the Optima brought one that looked like it was designed for a U-boat. Again defeated by the common language. Ultimately we found one that would fit into the space and was cheap enough to get the project done for now. When I get back to the U.S. I'll sort it out further. Pic also shows the partial install of hard mounted OBA, but more on that when the final bits come in.
2016-01-09 12.51.16.jpg
Controller installed, I did take the time to put some shrink wrap on the white wiring just to have it blend a little better. Not in love with the position but it was quick and easy here.
2016-01-09 11.05.37.jpg
Of note I didn't get instructions with the kit, had googled some dated ones. Hit up Traxide on a Sat and they responded immediately with the new instructions which sorted out the control box wiring and all is well.

jymmiejamz

Adventurer
Controller installed, I did take the time to put some shrink wrap on the white wiring just to have it blend a little better. Not in love with the position but it was quick and easy here.
View attachment 324766

What is inside of that switch box? Could you take it apart and mount the switch remotely from the box? The panel that it is attached to just pops off if you wanted to mount it there.

Ray_G

Explorer
What is inside of that switch box? Could you take it apart and mount the switch remotely from the box? The panel that it is attached to just pops off if you wanted to mount it there.

You could totally do that, in fact the instructions from Traxide discuss using your own switch and/or LED for applications like that. I honestly wanted to get it working since round I of the install was using the old instructions and while the batteries were isolated when the truck wasn't on/charging when it was, the box wasn't functioning. FFWD to the shifting around of two wires per the new instructions (the wire that runs from the solenoids to the little control box is actually four wires that you connect to a little circuit board housed inside) and everything was working.

I may circle back to a cleaner install in the future, and for a moment I did think about sacrificing that little panel and just drilling two holes in it so that you could see the LED and also flick the switch but mounting the box from behind, but didn't think there would be room in the trim the panel mounts to for the box (& didn't want to trim that).
For now it's adequate, and easy to go back to later to tidy up further.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
Some in stride shots from our trip up the coast to the Straits of Hormuz.
0da99e89575dc640d4281915b76ea2a0.jpg

2bd36738a04dd1b7016950fc43800f3b.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
& one more showing the versatility of the tailgate...for eating lunch on a hill, by a fort, over the gulf-with sour cream and onion Pringles
f3fdb7de9414ba023ef3fd0cefd61e8d.jpg

Ray_G

Explorer
@Ray_G

How are you securing your maxtrax to the roof rack?

Check out page 2, some pics there. They nest into the rack quite well with the eye bolts tucking them into the front & with the ratchet strap holding them down. For longer journeys I do throw HD zip ties on but to give an idea of how little they move we were going along a highway in the desert outside Dubai at 140kph (~80mph) & I heard a thump, I thought they may have come loose bc in addition to the speed there was a nasty head wind. I grabbed some HD zip ties and crawled on the roof and see nothing different, but then looked forward of the rack and see the wind had pulled the channel trim up from where it meets the windshield and pushed that back (i.e. the plastic piece that fills the channel that the roof rails bolt into).

Bottom line: the maxtrax are pretty secure.

Ray_G

Explorer
Khasab (Musandam) Oman & a the great transit of the UAE Pt1

Finally dug through some pics and have them in some semblance of order enough to post up a more complete story from last weekend. As my wife prepares to go out on more field work for her PhD we decided to knock a UAE bucket list item off our list, i.e. driving up to the tip of the peninsula into the little chunk of Oman called Musandam to spend the night. We also figured that was an optimal time to knock out the last few Emirates we hadn't been to so the route up took us to one of the smaller coastal ones and then the return went to the Gulf of Oman coast through Fujairah and then all the way back across the country to Abu Dhabi. The LR3 performed with no issue, though that is hardly surprising at this point.

Ghetto fabulous graphic depicting the route/mileage
Musandam Route w:Miles (1).jpg
Or the obligatory GPS shot showing the Strait of Hormuz, Persian/Arabian Gulf, etc
2016-01-30 11.11.51.jpg
Inside Oman transiting up the coast we saw this castle on an elevation overlooking Bukha
P1290521.jpg
Looking back from the castle toward the town, this is where the previously posted lunch pictures and such came from.
P1290525.jpgP1290527.jpg
Obligatory shots of the truck with castle, mountains, etc in background.
P1290535.jpg
One of the cool things about over here is nobody bats an eye when you move the truck up to the historic location to take pics
2016-01-30 11.56.10.jpg
Much of the route up along the coastal highway was right on the water, made for some great scenery and a beautiful drive. It was clear the day we drove up and from elevation you could easily see Iran, particularly Qeshm island. Sadly we took no good pictures of that or the shipping traffic in the strait.
P1290515.jpg
P1290542.jpg
After wandering around Khasab and some nearby villages for a bit in the afternoon we pulled into the hotel and enjoyed the little pub, a good dinner, and a nice sunset.
2016-01-29 18.11.15.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Supreet.dhaliwal