NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

Ray_G

Explorer
Tell me more about these Gorilla solid lugs....do they do different colors (like to stick with the factory color look)?

Lav-
We shall see on the gorilla's, I have hope that they'll be the D3 equivalent of the RRC solid lugs; while those do knick and get off colored they are far superior on the RRC/D1/Defender setups if you end up taking your wheels on/off for stuff (as you well know). In terms of colors, while I got black they def do chrome:
Chrome Gorilla's on fleabay
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
Ray -

Did you end up painting, powder coating or just plasti-dipping your wheels? It looks like a powder coat job from the pictures... I'm tempted by the ease of plasti-dipping, but am worried that I'll be touching them up every other week with the rocks around here. On the other hand, at least I could touch them up... I'm worried that if I powder coat and scratch/gouge the wheels, then I'll have some nice shiny silver showing through the black powder coat with no way to fix it. Just wondering what you opted for and what your thought process was? As far as the gorilla lugs, did you get the "75148RBC" lugs (the ones listed as black Range Rover lugs on their website)? Thanks!

I went with Plastidip, take a look at page 19 of this thread-should be a lot of pics of the process but it was fairly straightforward, even leaving them on the truck to do it:
-clean the wheels good.
-mask the tire, I used post it notes tucked between the rim lip and the tire and then taped those down.
-use plastic bags to mask the brake rotor/brake caliper
-pop center caps and mask the inside of that with something too (I wanted to paint my center caps to match, but didn't want them fused to the wheel with plastidip
-light coats, esp the first one, and then build from there. I watched several u-tube videos and then tried to be patient. I also used 1 can of dip/wheel (and 1 can of smoke/wheel b/c of the affect I was trying to achieve-if I was doing this in the US I'd get the anthracite and not deal with the smoke darkening the primer-esque gunmetal) and then a couple coats of glossifier.

I am somewhat worried about the durability but the wheels weren't perfect anyway. If I was driving a RRS I'd do powder coat b/c I'd want her to be pretty, but the end state for this truck is she'll work for a living and thus repainting the wheels as necessary is no biggie to me.

The lugs are exactly the part number you noted; they should be here in the next few days and when I get back from an upcoming trip I'll do a full review of those in case anyone wants to see what the $100 gets you before pressing buy it now!
r-
Ray

BTW; at some point my truck will be back in your neck of the woods this summer-assuming the DoD shipping folks don't lose her amidst my PCS back to NoVA!

Ray_G

Explorer
Thanks! Your reasoning sounds pretty similar to what's been going through my mind. Glad to hear you're headed home. Hopefully we can meet at a MAOS event sometime over the summer.

Definitely, I'm on the Facebook page with those guys and also frequent the Land Rover (Defender Source/D90) happy hours (even in absentia I try to get there) held at Kilroys in Springfield. We can def link up this summer.
r-
Ray

nathanwind

Observer
Lav-
We shall see on the gorilla's, I have hope that they'll be the D3 equivalent of the RRC solid lugs; while those do knick and get off colored they are far superior on the RRC/D1/Defender setups if you end up taking your wheels on/off for stuff (as you well know). In terms of colors, while I got black they def do chrome:
Chrome Gorilla's on fleabay
r-
Ray

Definitely keep us posted once you get the set...if they seem robust enough, I'll likely order a set in factory-finish for the LR3. Even though I've been careful taking them on/off over they years, they are still starting to get deformed on a couple.

unseenone

Explorer
Lol, good one, somebody just called me looking for a set of lug nuts not two minutes after I saw this post. I sent him the e-bay link...

zelatore

Explorer
On the one hand, $100+ for a set of lug nuts just seems wrong. On the other, it's actually cheaper than most of the competition. And on the third (3 hands???) I think $100 is fair trade for not dealing with those ridiculous stamped metal caps. Who's brilliant idea was that anyway?

Do keep us posted on the great lug nut trial of 2016.

Derel1cte

Adventurer
As long as we're talking lugs. I forgot I had these in my tool box. 20 OEM Land Rover lugs WITHOUT stainless finishing caps. As far as I can tell, these were only standard on 2005 LR3 before they moved to the stainless lugs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301881613680

They could use a new powder coating, but they're in pretty good shape overall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk