NAS LR3 build with an overseas twist

So the truck is at Icon now for some love, so I'll just leave this here as what will probably serve both as a teaser and really the only functional shot of anything other than the underside:
View attachment 335149

80L of fuel (~21 US gal) should nearly double the range of the truck; admittedly is that important for its application...not really-and the wife took me to task for it since it will also mean a rear swing away, but it wasn't that expensive all things considered and I have all manner of other rationalizations for it that make sense in my head.

More to follow in a few weeks when I get the truck back (I'll be out of town so I gave it to my fabricators with some instructions on tweaking a few things amidst the fuel tank install + rear swing away build).

Is there a difference on that tank for petrol or diesel? It works for NAS LR3??????

Ray_G

Explorer
If that system works out for you, I would love to have the instructions since thats what I've been dreaming of so I can take some long trips to Baja!
By the way, that truck of yours keeps getting better and better :)

Instructions are here: http://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...el-tank-land-rover-discovery-lr3-lr4.html#tab
(under installation, though I believe what's hanging on the website is incomplete given that Front Runner has a feeder pump that moves fuel from the aux tank to the primary, and that isn't reflected in the install stuff that I saw).

Ray_G

Explorer
Is there a difference on that tank for petrol or diesel? It works for NAS LR3??????

Works with petrol or diesel, according to Front Runner...and in terms of working with an NAS LR3, we're about to find out!
*My only caveat is that I should have planned better and gotten a Long Ranger fuel gauge/pump switch as I ordered this so I hit up ARB Emirates to see if they can get me one, that may slow down the install for a sec since that was one of two 'known' things that people say could work better with the Front Runner setup from what I saw, the other being that the pump isn't the best but that's a simple matter back in CONUS of replacing with a better one from Summit or something.
r-
Ray

zelatore

Explorer
A friend here in NorCal is running one on his LR4. It took some mod'ing but he got it up and running. One of the big changes was upgrading the transfer pump as the supplied unit is far too slow. I think he did a write-up on it here but would have to dig around to find it.

Ray_G

Explorer
A friend here in NorCal is running one on his LR4. It took some mod'ing but he got it up and running. One of the big changes was upgrading the transfer pump as the supplied unit is far too slow. I think he did a write-up on it here but would have to dig around to find it.

Was it this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/133932-Discovery-4-LR4-Auxiliary-Long-Range-Tank

Very informative and was part of my research; not to mention the gauge/switch he has is what I want for mine.

Ray_G

Explorer
I sent you a goody bag for your hitch Ray.. Sent it to your buddy at Twin Mountain... A set for him and for you..

Hardware rec'd; great timing since I'm back to spend a week with the kiddos so I'll hand carry it back...along with this, bc Land Rover owners always check a wheel in as baggage to make the spare match since the tire is going on the back as we speak.
02cf8e796c410751975a4154eef483f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray_G

Explorer
Yup - that was his. I haven't seen him on the trail recently; I think he's changed jobs and hasn't been hanging out with us. I'll have to give him some grief over that.... :)

Seems like he did a great job with his LR4. I told the shop to not actually install the tank for the moment, I'm going to ship it back this summer and do it myself back in the US. Between not having the gauge, and not wanting to toy with it prior to her going on a boat (where she needs to be nearly empty of gas) it wasn't worth dealing with.

Still got the rear swing away done and tucked the side steps closer...and the prospeed is inbound!
c19800d837aedfe9c55fe531a3a952b3.jpg

e33e9b1a825196badeab463bb8d870dd.jpg

dsm02c

Adventurer
Looks great, that is tighter to the rear bumper than my tactical carrier, I like that it's removable.

johnsoax

Adventurer
That looks nice!! I've been thinking about moving my full size spare up like that as well.

Which carrier did you end up getting? I've glanced through about 15 pages and couldn't find where you mentioned what you had.

Last edited:

Ray_G

Explorer
That looks nice!! I've been thinking about moving my full size spare up like that as well.

Which carrier did you end up getting? I've glanced through about 15 pages and couldn't find where you mentioned what you had.

Alex-
The same company that made my front bumper and the tube slider/steps, Icon-auto in Dubai, did the tire carrier. At some point I'll post more comprehensive pictures of it-there are elements I like and elements that are infuriating given the guidance I gave to the fabricators, some of which are still being worked out between Icon and I (to their credit at the senior level there is no qualms about addressing my concerns).

I do like how it is removable, that may save it in the eyes of the wife when she links back up with the truck and offers opinion on its utility day to day compared to what it provides. I also like how there is just above 3" of space between the arm and the rear door...i.e. high potential to be just enough for a rotopax to be mounted tucked between the carrier and the door (chainsaw fuel/oil mix is most likely, though it would be a great place to hang an H2O can too since at 90 degree lock it would sit right beside the tailgate while preparing food and such).

More pics will be up soon, the return to work + jet lag and some updates all sequencing together are taking time-but the weekend offers the promise of finishing the plastidip on the matching spare rim and subsequent tire swap, along with the huge change out since the prospeed rack gets delivered Sat.
r-
Ray

Ray_G

Explorer
12" LED light bar

Decided that I wanted to see what a 12" light bar would look like in comparison to the Hella 4K compacts. Overall I think it flows better with the vehicle and given how good the HID headlights are at casting light far the LED bar's shorter range flood coverage (even though it has both fog and spot bulbs). I'm usually not a huge fan of LED bars, even after the brief flirtation with the roof rack but the amount of light for the power consumed is compelling and at times they are the right tool for the job. Side by side with the 4k compacts:
Light bar_mounted.jpg2015-11-20 13.45.25.jpg
Turned on, along with the LED fogs. Bright as all get out.
Light bar_on.jpg
Side view of it in context
Light bar side profile.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alexk