Near Death on The North Rim !!!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
? I am not sure why every sentence ends with a question mark? I am assume that is some editing quirk ? Regardless, I really enjoyed the story?
LOL. I have been in circumstances where there is a lot of pressure to remain calm and reassuring to those you are with, when things are NOT going as planned. It seems like you handled it well.

As for Photobucket, it is from the devil. Most people that you see posting larger and better images are using a paid service, like SmugMug, or hosting their images themselves on a private (paid) site. If you are not wanting to pay, you might try Flickr instead of PhotoBucket.

mjmcdowell

Explorer
North rim adventure

I think we all have forgotten some equipment that would have made a dicy situation better, I know that I have in the past. Now I have a list and I "check it twice", so far it has worked, glad everything worked out well... now you have a great adventure tale to tell!!! " Merry Christmas" stay safe, mjmcdowell

teotwaki

Excelsior!
? I am not sure why every sentence ends with a question mark? I am assume that is some editing quirk ? ---snip---

Sounds as if he is writing the story in email, saving a draft, then copies and pastes here. Maybe an artifact of that process is creating spurious question marks.

Jrally

Adventurer
Great story, great adventure. A large downed tree blocking your path in both directions sounds like a LARGE challenge for most people in the world. Glad you kept a cool head and worked through the problem. I'm wondering how many others on here have had similar situations, path blocked by trees? What options various people have used to get past or used to move the tree? I'm thinking of several options, like building a ramp of smaller trees to get over it, maybe using a controlled burn to break the tre in half, etc..?

-Jon

nightfoam

Adventurer
Sounds like quite an adventure!

I really like the idea of using rounds to roll the downed tree out of the way, I never would've thought of that but it'll definitely be in the back of my head in the future.

haulindave

Observer
? I am not sure why every sentence ends with a question mark? I am assume that is some editing quirk ? Regardless, I really enjoyed the story?
LOL. I have been in circumstances where there is a lot of pressure to remain calm and reassuring to those you are with, when things are NOT going as planned. It seems like you handled it well.

As for Photobucket, it is from the devil. Most people that you see posting larger and better images are using a paid service, like SmugMug, or hosting their images themselves on a private (paid) site. If you are not wanting to pay, you might try Flickr instead of PhotoBucket.

Your right , I do have a lot of sentence's ending with a question mark ! I got to stop that . I flunked English ! I am the quirk .

I didn't know that about Photobucket ? Hope that's a good place for a question mark ? :) Sorry can't help it . I will check out one of the other ones . I have heard of SmugMug on ADVrider .

I think we all have forgotten some equipment that would have made a dicy situation better, I know that I have in the past. Now I have a list and I "check it twice", so far it has worked, glad everything worked out well... now you have a great adventure tale to tell!!! " Merry Christmas" stay safe, mjmcdowell

I usually do have a list ( didn't CHECK it this time )and some of the stuff I usually carry with me I left home . Going to Vegas first made me change what I would normally bring with me . One is the box I carry on the trailer hitch that carry stuff I don't want in the camper . weaverlakecamping7-30-11086.jpg

Thanks mjmcdowell , Merry Christmas .

haulindave

Observer
Sounds as if he is writing the story in email, saving a draft, then copies and pastes here. Maybe an artifact of that process is creating spurious question marks.

I was doing that , but it is a quirk I have that I will try and break . Guess I question (My writing ) myself to much . Thanks Jim for trying to help find a reason for my quirk .

haulindave

Observer
Great story, great adventure. A large downed tree blocking your path in both directions sounds like a LARGE challenge for most people in the world. Glad you kept a cool head and worked through the problem. I'm wondering how many others on here have had similar situations, path blocked by trees? What options various people have used to get past or used to move the tree? I'm thinking of several options, like building a ramp of smaller trees to get over it, maybe using a controlled burn to break the tre in half, etc..?

-Jon

Hi Jon,

Was just reading another trip report yesterday on here (Dripping Springs to Globe, AZ 12/17 ) and they came upon a down tree and they cut a bunch of branches to pileup to make it over and a Hi-Lift I think , they also had a winch with them and two trucks . I do think a fire could work in the right situation , but not with the wind blowing like it was when we were there . If it would have been raining or there was snow and we couldn't move it then maybe . A Hi Lift or a come-along and tow rope would work good in a lot of situations too .

Sounds like quite an adventure!

I really like the idea of using rounds to roll the downed tree out of the way, I never would've thought of that but it'll definitely be in the back of my head in the future.

Thanks Ryan ,

I think it helps if you have been working and living outside a lot . I grew up working on ranches and own my own trucking business and do lots of my own building stuff , both wood and steel , mechanics , so I have to figure stuff out all the time . I'm handy with my hands . What I'm not good at is writing and english , computers , office stuff and people , book stuff , plus a lot more . I never was good in school , learned better going out and doing stuff .

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I was doing that , but it is a quirk I have that I will try and break . Guess I question (My writing ) myself to much . Thanks Jim for trying to help find a reason for my quirk .

If NWoods hadn't brought it up I would never had said anything. I've been enjoying the story and pictures too much. Merry Christmas!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader

-Jon

When I am going into and forested back country area I usually bring along my trusty chain saw. Both for cutting fire wood but also to make it easy to clear the road of fallen trees if needed. One trip last year in the early spring on Mt Graham we had to cut through 5 downed trees, a couple that were over 24" in diameter to get out to Grand View.

A chain saw may be an added pain to carry along but they sure come in handy when needed.:elkgrin:

westyss

Explorer
When I am going into and forested back country area I usually bring along my trusty chain saw. Both for cutting fire wood but also to make it easy to clear the road of fallen trees if needed. One trip last year in the early spring on Mt Graham we had to cut through 5 downed trees, a couple that were over 24" in diameter to get out to Grand View.

A chain saw may be an added pain to carry along but they sure come in handy when needed.:elkgrin:

I was thinking the same thing about the other trip report too, where they had to muck around a bit to get over the tree. A chain saw really is the only answer to this, good luck with an axe or bow saw, it can be done but at a big "time" cost, burning throught the tree will take soooo looong, trees dont burn well whole, they need to be cut to expose the grain, a whole tree will be fairly protected from deep burning. In BC Canada we are experiencing spruce bud worm problems, millions of trees dying, and as they die, they fall all over the place, these are some very big trees, with some roads needing constant attention to keep open, a chain saw is really the only option other than turning around, and sometimes turning around to face more downed trees just after you passed through removing that option. Not sure if it was one of these threads showing the explorers using an axe to trim the branches and getting tired doing that let alone axing thier way through a 2' diameter tree!! Whoops, sorry about the tangent there, nice trip report and some smart thinking!

haulindave

Observer

I was thinking the same thing about the other trip report too, where they had to muck around a bit to get over the tree. A chain saw really is the only answer to this, good luck with an axe or bow saw, it can be done but at a big "time" cost, burning throught the tree will take soooo looong, trees dont burn well whole, they need to be cut to expose the grain, a whole tree will be fairly protected from deep burning. In BC Canada we are experiencing spruce bud worm problems, millions of trees dying, and as they die, they fall all over the place, these are some very big trees, with some roads needing constant attention to keep open, a chain saw is really the only option other than turning around, and sometimes turning around to face more downed trees just after you passed through removing that option. Not sure if it was one of these threads showing the explorers using an axe to trim the branches and getting tired doing that let alone axing thier way through a 2' diameter tree!! Whoops, sorry about the tangent there, nice trip report and some smart thinking!

I agree with both of you 100% . But like I said before in the report I didn't realize that the North Rim was so forested ( knew there was some , just not like it was ) I was thinking it would be more open high desert and I didn't want the chain saw in the flippac because of gas fumes . If I was going in the Sierras or Rockies or any forest in the spring after winter I always bring my chain saw . When I go back to the North Rim I will probably bring my chain saw if its fall or spring , in the summer I think a bow saw would be a good backup since I don't think there would be as much chance of the big wind and there are more people going in and out . Also rangers so you would at least have them cutting them up . Also that time of year there back-country permit place would be open .But that's was one reason why I went then , so I wouldn't see many other people . Read a few trip reports on here and ADVrider and don't remember anyone mentioning trees blocking the road ? Live and learn .
True about lots of trees , it would be very hard to burn though unless there died and dried . That tree I could of burned though it if the wind wouldn't have been blowing so hard , still would of took longer and more work than moving it like I did . A big bow saw would have worked great with that tree and I wouldn't of had to smell fuel . The bigger the tree the more a chain saw is helpful . But even a chain saw can break ! You make do with what you have . :)

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
Agreed and I wasn't poking you personally. I enjoyed your trip report and thought you managed the challenges well. I was just responding to another person's post about how to handle downed trees. :elkgrin:

I'm with you on not having the gas/oil smell inside my vehicle. When I take a chain saw it either rides in the outside cargo rack of my truck or trailer.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
On another venture try Tuweep on the north rim. It had very few trees to deal with :elkgrin:

Any more pictures to share from this trip?

haulindave

Observer
Agreed and I wasn't poking you personally. I enjoyed your trip report and thought you managed the challenges well. I was just responding to another person's post about how to handle downed trees. :elkgrin:

I'm with you on not having the gas/oil smell inside my vehicle. When I take a chain saw it either rides in the outside cargo rack of my truck or trailer.

No problem Brad .

Just checked out your Photo Gallery ! Awesome ! :Wow1:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clearwater