Need help: Which trailer works best for us?

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

I run into people all of the time in the middle of no where. For sure its a small percentage of RVers, but who cares. This trailer is 125k, but who really cares, its value depends on the individual. You can spend 85k on a basecamp which is a nice trailer with limited capability, or 125k on a trailer like a Kimberley etc.. that has 10x the capability. The cost is not relevant if you want it. Some people won't pay $150.00 for a steak, but I will, its worth it too me. I would pay 125k for this trailer all day long over 85k on a Air-stream.

Ford guy- the x145 equipped with the options that ROA is specing them at is 150K. I assume they are using the same chassis MFGer as the x22 that only has a 2 year warranty and it doesn't cover rust from powder coat paint chipping. Maybe they stepped up on the chassis vendor but if not is that what you would expect from the best trailer in the world. I do get your point of its worth what one will pay. So are you going to order a x145 for that cost? My issue is these guys with there over hype are going to single handely drive up the price of every single off road trailer in this space.

Last edited:

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Ford guy- the x145 equipped with the options that ROA is specing them at is 150K. I assume they are using the same chassis MFGer as the x22 that only has a 2 year warranty and it doesn't cover rust from powder coat paint chipping. Maybe they stepped up on the chassis vendor but if not is that what you would expect from the best trailer in the world. I do get your point of its worth what one will pay. So are you going to order a x145 for that cost? My issue is these guys with there over hype are going to single handely drive up the price of every single off road trailer in this space.
Well, they are sales people. At the Expo, they told me it was 125k loaded, that is where I came up with the price. Yes, a galvanized frame would be nice, we just really don't do that here in the US, and my guess is that there is nowhere close to have it done.

rehammer81

I was also under the impression that $125k was the fully optioned price for the X145 like they had at the expo. I've been one of the naysayers and if $125k is the bottom end starting price for the X145 then they are smoking more crack than I thought they were.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Well, they are sales people. At the Expo, they told me it was 125k loaded, that is where I came up with the price. Yes, a galvanized frame would be nice, we just really don't do that here in the US, and my guess is that there is nowhere close to have it done.

No they are " coaches " man not salesmen. Thanks for the straight up answer! Most big cities have galv shops but geez that would drive the costs up to 200k. The 150k costs does include every option listed on IO website. Who knows as right now if you order them for 150k with out knowing the build details great but mark my words by the time they are to market that price will go up.

I was also under the impression that $125k was the fully optioned price for the X145 like they had at the expo. I've been one of the naysayers and if $125k is the bottom end starting price for the X145 then they are smoking more crack than I thought they were.

This 150k price was posted by a gentleman who asked them for a fully speced x145. I assume that is plus T & L but maybe (hopefully) it included T&L.
XPLORERV X145

Standard Features (Model Specific)
  • Off-road reinforced, coated steel frame
  • Full Skid Plates
  • D-Ring recovery points
  • Fully insulated composite exterior walls with gelcoat surface
  • 1pc, fully insulated composite floor and fully walkable composite roof
  • Twin 20lb LP Fuel Tanks
  • Cold Weather LP Furnace
  • Low-profile, high efficiency 12V(DC) Roof-Mounted A/C
  • Bluetooth Speaker
  • Full Kitchen w/cooktop, refrigerator and kitchen sink
  • Full Bathroom w/shower and dry flush toilet
    (no black water tank to deal with in the back-country)
  • Upgraded 60 gallon fresh & 60 gallon grey water tanks
  • Convertible Dinette
  • Full Size Bed (RV Full) w/bedding
  • LED interior & exterior lighting
  • Exterior LED Perimeter Lighting
  • Off-Road Rock Lighting
  • Conveniently placed 120V outlets & USB charging ports
  • Roof-mounted MaxxAir ventilation system
  • Batwing Awning
  • Exterior Pass-Through Storage
  • Exterior 120V Power Outlet
  • RVIA Certified
Xtreme Package (Standard Upgrades)
  • Cruisemaster® ATX independent suspension
    (w/air bags, disc brakes, & parking brake)
  • 265/75 R16 Off Road Tires
  • Front Mounted Utility Box with LP & Generator Storage (generator not included)
  • On-board Air Compressor
  • Custom Roof rack
  • Cruisemaster® Articulating Hitch
  • Thermal Acrylic Windows
  • 360ah Lithium Battery (STAGE 1)
  • 240W Roof Mounted Solar System (STAGE 1)
  • 2000W Inverter & Monitor Panel
  • MPPT Solar Control & Battery Monitor
  • Heated/Insulated Water Storage Tanks
  • Outdoor Shower hookup
  • ARK® Heavy Duty Rolling Tongue Jack & Leveling Jacks
  • Customizable Rear Accessory Options
Customizable Options
Power Storage
  • STAGE 2 – 720Ah: (2) 360Ah Lithium Batteries
Solar Output
  • STAGE 2 – 740W: (7) Glass Solar Panels
Accessory Options
Rear

(unit accomodates 2 rear accessory mounting locations + hi-lift jack mounts)
  • Spare Tire Mount w/Full Size Spare
  • Jerry Can Mount (fits standard NATO Jerry Cans – not included)
  • Rear Utility Box
  • Auxillary Grid Panels (mounts to Front or Rear Utility Box)
  • Accessory Grid Panel (mounts to rear accessory bracket)
  • Hi-Lift Jack Mount (Hi-Lift Jack not included)
Front
  • Traction Board Mount
  • Auxillary Grid Panels (mounts to Front or Rear Utility Box)

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I was pretty clear when asking the price at the expo. 100% he said that the trailer loaded, was 125k. I was comparing it to the KImberley that I have on order which was basically the same price.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I guess it is possible the guy that posted the 150k on ROA's YT channel was wrong or miss understood or was it was just made up. He did say he was going to buy one.
Hopefully, I think its a nice trailer, definitely the best in the US in my opinion, but I don't believe its as nice as Kimberley, especially for 25k more, and the Kimberley has 15k in shipping in the price.

Hopefully, I think its a nice trailer, definitely the best in the US in my opinion, but I don't believe its as nice as Kimberley, especially for 25k more, and the Kimberley has 15k in shipping in the price.

Crazy. It's so hard to compare pricing with products in different countries. With exchange rates and what not. We have friends from AU that come visit us to ski and they always go to the outlet store and buy new luggage and fill it with Nike's, Patagonia and other gear. These items cost 4 times as much in AU. AU minimum wage is close to $30 an hour. Hard to find a house in Sydney for under a million. I bet your feeling better about your Kimberly purchase now. Good luck!!

rehammer81

I'm so depressed I'm just going to buy an Ember, let it fall apart eventually and buy a second one. Might still come out ahead. They aren't as good but they aren't horrible and less than half the price of these new offerings.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Blow enough smoke and you have a smoke screen. They'll walk away with a couple million if they can sell enough to people that don't know the differce between a wheel nut and a flare nut.
My buddy fell into the smoke around Outdoors RV. His matches/exceeds the X22 spec and is falling apart after 3 years off road. If only he spent $75,000!!! on air ride suspension he'd could have had The Best!!!o_O
I’m going to guess small high end RV business is like racing sailboats only profit with RV happens far sooner. By unit 6 you should be making money.
In 2005 the new set of molds for my racing boat cost our owners group 1.5 million to get cut, faired and setup for new production. Thats just tooling to build 5 composite parts that made up the 21ft boat.

The molds if well cared for would make it through about 200 hulls before they start getting problematic.

These Trailers are just laser cut parts stuck together with aluminum extrusions. Material costs are more consistent with the boat business than the RV biz simply because they can switch up materials and still build a box on wheels. My 21foot ultra modern racing boat with carbon mast, keel fin, rudder and, advanced engineered hull and deck skins is between $50,000-$60,0000 built in the USA today. In 2000 same boat was $32,000 to build. Thats built and delivered to the customer, customers cost.

The 27 foot Ocean rates version again super high tech not your typical mass produced hull is $130,000 for the glass and carbon version and close to $200,000 for the full Carbon version. My 1995 racing boat won last years One design championship. It was bought from the 5th owner for $20,000, today its easily $25k if the owner were to sell it. I boutique it in 2001 for $18,000 sold it for $25,000

The mass produced 27 footer closest to ^ that glass/carbon 27ft boat is $97,000- $120,000 new off the dock. The used ones in good condition sell for $60,000-$80,000. That hasn’t really changed in the last 15-18 years.

Again the box on wheels my stuff is gold prices, really don’t add up. The only thing driving this silly pricing is the easy money financing out there. Cheap loans, reverse mortgage on over heated real estate values and crazy high stock market values.

Treefarmer

I'm so depressed I'm just going to buy an Ember, let it fall apart eventually and buy a second one. Might still come out ahead. They aren't as good but they aren't horrible and less than half the price of these new offerings.

We feel your pain and are potentially in the same boat. We're intrigued by the X195 and the RKS Motive, but may just a likely end up with an Ember, especially if they can fix their problem with low CCC on the four wheel models.

Treefarmer

Kimberley is incredibly well made and time tested. I just can't get into paying that much for a trailer that looks so funny (you either love the look or hate it) and can't be true four season. When I look at a Kimberley, the first thing that comes to mind are the uniforms of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 70s. ?

Treefarmer

Did anyone here check out the Kingdom Camping trailers at the Expo in Loveland? They seen to know how to build the right way.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Kimberley is incredibly well made and time tested. I just can't get into paying that much for a trailer that looks so funny (you either love the look or hate it) and can't be true four season. When I look at a Kimberley, the first thing that comes to mind are the uniforms of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in the 70s. ?
Star Buck space transport shuttle from the 70’s TV show?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven