Need help: Which trailer works best for us?

Treefarmer

Yes I understand but these guys a capitalizing on these issues and going to far
And....will they reduce prices as components become more available and come down in price? The rest of the RV industry is already reducing prices for that reason plus the fact that consumer demand is declining. Or maybe they're counting on demand from a small segment to be strong enough that these new trailers can buck the trends and maintain their price inelasticity. That's also, like you said, known as "going too far" for a profit. :)

billiebob

Yes I understand but these guys a capitalizing on these issues and going to far
you know more than most of us.... A lot of businesses went out of business over the past two years.... Those that survived or saw an opportunity are pricing their products realistically..... This is North America if we are being overcharged...... you have the perfect opportunity to start a business and offer "fair pricing".... Henry Ford did that a century ago.

EDIT....
If the opportunity for exceptional profit was really there without exceptional risk.... someone would be doing it. There are no new players. The risks are still exceptional.

Last edited:

Alloy

And....will they reduce prices as components become more available and come down in price? The rest of the RV industry is already reducing prices for that reason plus the fact that consumer demand is declining. Or maybe they're counting on demand from a small segment to be strong enough that these new trailers can buck the trends and maintain their price inelasticity. That's also, like you said, known as "going too far" for a profit. :)
I had to get a (parking) permit for a hike. The Ranger issuing the permit said last year all the permits were taken 7 days a week from July - Sept. This year the numbers have almost dropped to pre-Covid levels. Next year they may cancel permits or just use them for long week ends.
Yesterday I was exploring a series of FSR expecting to see someone set up at any spot near water. The whole day there was no one??

Treefarmer

I had to get a (parking) permit for a hike. The Ranger issuing the permit said last year all the permits were taken 7 days a week from July - Sept. This year the numbers have almost dropped to pre-Covid levels. Next year they may cancel permits or just use them for long week ends.
Yesterday I was exploring a series of FSR expecting to see someone set up at any spot near water. The whole day there was no one??
That's the kind of report we like to hear! What's an "O.A." customized 5th wheel? We have a New Horizons customized 5th wheel (for now).

calicamper

Expedition Leader
My Aunt lives near Yosemite and has mentioned the park crowds definitely seem to be dropping off.
My wife’s tech company just started rolling back into pre pandemic type stuff, travel, conference meetings etc. That company was one of early ones to send people to the home office. Office use is picking up but won’t be like pre pandemic. Office space will be booked by the day and most people will be home office a few days a week in most cases. Its looking like most technology companies will be in this new hybrid mixed office/ home office model for a while. Which definitely will impact the “I can work from anywhere” types zooming from their RV hitting up parks etc

Obsessed2findARuggedHybid

no, this is the north american way.... europe too..... this is why we fight wars

We fight wars so
Hopefully, I think its a nice trailer, definitely the best in the US in my opinion, but I don't believe its as nice as Kimberley, especially for 25k more, and the Kimberley has 15k in shipping in the price.

Did you ask them the details of the composite walls and ceiling? It has been stated that there are no aluminum studs so I assume they are a one piece honeycomb composite frp panels. To achieve the claimed-40 below rating they would have to be very thick. 1 1/2 inch panels are the thickest I have seen. Using the right I assume aluminum extrusions for the side walls and adhesive is key to building the box frame strong enough to handle off road use. I wonder how experienced IO is with welding aluminum? I know they farm out the chassis maybe they farm out the frame as well. This could explain in part why they are so pricey. The 145 is very tall (10 feet) with 24 " of clearance and it looked a little tippy in the vid on YouTube . My guess is they did not give you this kind of info.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
We fight wars so

Did you ask them the details of the composite walls and ceiling? It has been stated that there are no aluminum studs so I assume they are a one piece honeycomb composite frp panels. To achieve the claimed-40 below rating they would have to be very thick. 1 1/2 inch panels are the thickest I have seen. Using the right I assume aluminum extrusions for the side walls and adhesive is key to building the box frame strong enough to handle off road use. I wonder how experienced IO is with welding aluminum? I know they farm out the chassis maybe they farm out the frame as well. This could explain in part why they are so pricey. The 145 is very tall (10 feet) with 24 " of clearance and it looked a little tippy in the vid on YouTube . My guess is they did not gtheive you this kind of info.
I think that a 40 below claim is a little much, but honestly, its like a sleeping bag that has a -20 rating, survivable yes, comfortable? I am pretty savvy when it comes to quality, and it is really good, frame/suspension is excellent. Hardware, fasteners were top notch. My negatives were the drawers, the Kimberley are all metal which I personally prefer, and I understand why the tongue is so long, its gives a great turning radius, but they could have had a 16 foot box with the same overall length, that would have been worth it over a little better turning radius. It make the sitting area too small. they did a great job wiring the trailer, this is so important for long term reliability. What ROA needs to quit saying is "Best trailer in the world" What they need to say is its on par with the some of the best trailers made. Its clearly not the best trailer in the world, that is a very bold statement.

rehammer81

We fight wars so

Did you ask them the details of the composite walls and ceiling? It has been stated that there are no aluminum studs so I assume they are a one piece honeycomb composite frp panels. To achieve the claimed-40 below rating they would have to be very thick. 1 1/2 inch panels are the thickest I have seen. Using the right I assume aluminum extrusions for the side walls and adhesive is key to building the box frame strong enough to handle off road use. I wonder how experienced IO is with welding aluminum? I know they farm out the chassis maybe they farm out the frame as well. This could explain in part why they are so pricey. The 145 is very tall (10 feet) with 24 " of clearance and it looked a little tippy in the vid on YouTube . My guess is they did not give you this kind of info.
If you haven't seen it already, ROA has a YouTube video where they visited IO and showed a lot of the build steps for the X22. We don't seem to be clear yet how the construction of the new models differs from the X22.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

If you haven't seen it already, ROA has a YouTube video where they visited IO and showed a lot of the build steps for the X22. We don't seem to be clear yet how the construction of the new models differs from the X22.

Yes and I wonder if we will see said tour. Like I mentioned this is a whole different build then the x22 and I do not feel like it has been tested. I here all the references to expensive sport cars but I don't believe Porsche comes out with a brand new model and not fully test it.

I got the impression that even ROA had not seen the x145 until last week and reading in between the lines were very surprised of the costs. Plus I have heard that IO is insisting dealers not discount from msrp. Also some dealers are talking about being allotted 75 units this first year. This likely means the 195 is going to be a while before available. Also they will be cranking thses trailers out Elkhart rv line style. All before ROA has time to beat the crap out of one in Moab.

I think that a 40 below claim is a little much, but honestly, its like a sleeping bag that has a -20 rating, survivable yes, comfortable? I am pretty savvy when it comes to quality, and it is really good, frame/suspension is excellent. Hardware, fasteners were top notch. My negatives were the drawers, the Kimberley are all metal which I personally prefer, and I understand why the tongue is so long, its gives a great turning radius, but they could have had a 16 foot box with the same overall length, that would have been worth it over a little better turning radius. It make the sitting area too small. they did a great job wiring the trailer, this is so important for long term reliability. What ROA needs to quit saying is "Best trailer in the world" What they need to say is its on par with the some of the best trailers made. Its clearly not the best trailer in the world, that is a very bold statement.

Good to hear the wiring looked good as the solar, lithium and electrical system in the X22 was a mess. I take it that you did not get any info on side walls and box frame. Which are very important when determining if a trailer is even one of the best built in US.

Alloy

That video is the new age of staged factory tours where they don't show the gross details and workmanship.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Good to hear the wiring looked good as the solar, lithium and electrical system in the X22 was a mess. I take it that you did not get any info on side walls and box frame. Which are very important when determining if a trailer is even one of the best built in US.
Not on the walls or box frame. Since I have a S3 on the way, I was not that interested, just happy to see a manufacture build what seems to be 10x better than anything we currently make in the US.

Not on the walls or box frame. Since I have a S3 on the way, I was not that interested, just happy to see a manufacture build what seems to be 10x better than anything we currently make in the US.

I am excited for you those S3 are cool!! One last point as I am probably bugging you. Ten times better then High Altitude Trailer, RKS, Boreas and Mission Overland I don't think so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roamingraven