Need photos! Flatbed w\ boxes & wedge style topper

Hodor

Hello all, I'm currently selling my Northstar tc850 and switching into a lone peak overland wedge style camper. My plans with my full size Chevy have been to put a flatbed and boxes for storage onto the back and I've been thinking it shouldn't be too hard to mount the topper onto the boxes for continued use, but has anybody done this? Were you successful or was it a total headache and possibly not worth it?

My plan is to mount boxes with simple pass through access that I can get into from the inside and outside, as well as use for seats while in the back of the bed.

Having the full size 4 door my other option is to put a RTT over the cab and leave the bed open, which has many additional benefits, but doesnt give me that closed in homely feeling.

Attachments

• 20230626_110327.jpg
    20230626_110327.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 10

Spencer for Hire

Check out https://www.bowencustoms.com/
They do boxes for many style campers.

Here is the link for their Topper Beds:

Last edited:

Antwon412

Interesting idea! I have a Lonepeak on order as well.

In my opinion, if I had a flatbed, I think I might buy a slide in camper and mounted to the top of it. And then use the areas underneath the slide in that would normally fit over the top of the pick up bed for storage. Mountain boxes on the flatbed and the slide in sits on top of those if that makes sense.

but then I guess you would not be able to access those storage boxes from inside the camper, which is your intention.

Could open walls of the camper so you could access your mounted storage boxes….🤔

Chadx

♫ Off road, again. Just can't wait to get...
Check out the Aluma tray made by OEV. They offer "side boxes" that open to the outside, but I would think they would/could add access from inside as well. Not sure if they are rated to handle a topper style camper, but OEV would know. They are typically for use with slide-in campers so they make two different sizes.
  • CAMP-X above tray side storage boxes w/rear and side doors (16″D x 20″T x 79.5″L)
  • FWC above tray side storage boxes w/rear and side doors (12″D x 20″T x 79.5″L)

poptop_overland_20210605_080753_3-clean.jpg

DSC00830.jpg

Hodor

I have a Northstar pop up camper right now and it's way overkill for the kind of camping me n my honey do.
I bought it because I was going to be working on the road and soon after the purchase my company paid me off so I've just been sitting on this purchase not wanting to go out with it because it's big and gets scratched up here in the northwest as soon as I leave the highway.

So that idea is out.

And yes, my intention comes directly from the idea of flatbed mounted slide in campers. Im essentially trying to design a bed around this concept and hoping that maybe some folks have attempted this or had some measure of success with it.

Overland companies make rather overpriced products and the OL specific beds are no difference here. A solid aluminum tray can be had for 5-6k from many reputable companies and you can get off the shelf boxes that are 12 or 18" deep that are both top and bottom rated for cheap as well. My idea is to cut a backside hole and simple latch system to allow for inside access.

Hodor

This is the pro level but I'm not about that pro pricing 😉

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710_224138_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20230710_224138_Firefox.jpg
    540 KB · Views: 19

simple

Adventurer
What are your thoughts on insulation? In the NW it's either cold or hot and all that aluminum will be either one or the other.

Hodor

What are your thoughts on insulation? In the NW it's either cold or hot and all that aluminum will be either one or the other.
Using simple rubber pads or closed cell foam or styrofoam rolls inside the boxes will keep things quiet and help to control temps inside the back. I also have a Wallace marine diesel stovetop that will be plugged into my fuel tank for cooking and when the lid is shut it doubles as a heater with a small blower motor in the lid.

What about a service body instead of boxes and a flatbed?
The service bodies would be a great idea and also very inexpensive but the boxes are too deep and tall to work without serious modifications and I'm not the welder for that.

highwest

The service bodies would be a great idea and also very inexpensive but the boxes are too deep and tall to work without serious modifications and I'm not the welder for that.
There are some that are the height of a regular truck bed, but it doesn’t seem that there’s too many out there, especially second hand. And it still doesn’t fix the too deep part… Bowen and OEV make nice solutions for both of these, but jeez, $$$.

Hodor

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
havanother