New Build; 1984 Chevy CUCV M1010 4x4 Ambulance

ExpoMike

Okay, so I just couldn't wait for it to show up. I have purchased a 1984 Chevrolet CUCV M1010 ambulance as my new camper build up. I am waiting for it to get shipped out to me from IL and should have it before the end of the year. After doing a bunch of research and just about pulling the trigger on a Ford E350 Type II ambulance (didn't due to lack of leg/foot room on the passenger side, for the wife) I decided to see what I could find in a truck based vehicle. This would have a standard style seating arangement so felt it would be more comfortable. I first learned of what a M1010 is here on ExPo (as I did about our Kamparoo) and the search began...

For those who don't know what a M1010 is, it is a 5/4 ton Chevy truck cab and chassis with an ambulance box on the back. They have Detroit Diesel's 6.2L engine, Turbo 400 auto trans and a NP208 transfer case. Though not a powerhouse, a very strong foundation. The axles are Dana D60 front and GM Corp. 10.5" 14 bolt rear with 4.56 gears. The rear has a Detroit locker. This arrangement is bullet proof. Gearing is a little deep but larger tires will help offset that. Some form of an overdrive transmission is being looked at. They are a hybrid 24/12 volt system using dual altenators, dual batteries with a 200 amp output (100 amp each alt.). The primary systems run 12 volt and only the starter and glow plug truly are 24 volt. Some of the secondary systems use 24 volt but that can be changed if they even stay.

Here are some pics of the rig I have bought and awating to arrive.

used_1984_chevrolet_d30_ambulance_m1010cucv_1151_6077924_1_640.jpg

used_1984_chevrolet_d30_ambulance_m1010cucv_1151_6077924_2_640.jpg

used_1984_chevrolet_d30_ambulance_m1010cucv_1151_6077924_6_640.jpg

used_1984_chevrolet_d30_ambulance_m1010cucv_1151_6077924_9_640.jpg

Here is what one looks like on 37" Hummer wheels and tires. :wings:
attachment.php

I have been gathering ideas for my build and a couple things I'll say now is, I will likely be lifting it approx. 4" to run 35" tire. The box already has a diesel powered heating system and an engine driven A/C system. A/C might get pulled as we don't really need it but the heater is a primary need. Another idea is removing the double doors on the back and building a new "hatch" area that would have a single door in the middle (which works with the pull out steps for entry), having an area that would hold the spare tire and high lift (and other "dirty" items), windows on the sides and on and on. Again, I have tons of ideas but until I get my hands on it, I won't know exactly what I have to work with.

Well, that's the sneak peek at what is upcoming. Hopefully I won't have any issues with it getting here and getting it registered in CA. Research says I shouldn't but you never know. Hope you enjoy the idea and I sure can't wait to get going!!!

Attachments

• 1010-37.jpg
    1010-37.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,824
Last edited:

ExpoMike

Well, after a long wait, it finally sits in my driveway. Just need to finish up DMV stuff to officially say it's mine. Should hopefully have that done tomorrow.

Sorry no pics as it was raining when dropped off and dark when I got back from round 1 of DMV. Pics will come.

<insert happy dance>

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Well, after a long wait, it finally sits in my driveway. Just need to finish up DMV stuff to officially say it's mine. Should hopefully have that done tomorrow.

Sorry no pics as it was raining when dropped off and dark when I got back from round 1 of DMV. Pics will come.

<insert happy dance>

haha...oh my gosh...and you give me crap...lol.

just kidding, that's a cool rig, dude. :)

zukrider

Explorer
good find! thats a tough one to find, let alone aquire. great build idea though. id like to steer you to offroaddesign.com for any of your "wheeling" needs. great guys.

joe

ExpoMike

hahaha Brian, figured I would get a comment. LOL Plans are to keep the Cherokee and eventually sell the Kamparoo, to which my dad is very happy, as he wants it. :)

Joe, thanks for the link. That is who I have been looking at, since they seem to be the "one" for this era Chevy's.

Marcie's Disco

Adventurer
Mike, with your level of fabrication artistry this will be a killer build. I am very excited to follow this thread. Congrats.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
hahaha Brian, figured I would get a comment. LOL Plans are to keep the Cherokee and eventually sell the Kamparoo, to which my dad is very happy, as he wants it. :)

Joe, thanks for the link. That is who I have been looking at, since they seem to be the "one" for this era Chevy's.

haha...just joshin' ya, bro. I think it's a GREAT basis for a camper, actually.

Those mil-spec rigs are tough, and easy to work on. and that camper box looks really well built, too.

Do you think you'll plan some sort of pop-top to gain a bit more head room?
I like the idea of hard walls next to a single door. Good spot, as you said, for a set of jerry cans flush mounted, and maybe the spare, and storage box on the other side.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Then again, this rear wall is pretty sick, too:
163_0608_05z+earthRoamer_XV_LT_crew_cab+rear_view.jpg

This is more what I was thinking:
rear10.jpg

you could have flush mounted dry storage or two flush-mounted jerry cans one over the other, on the side where the door swings open, and then the spare, and ? on the other side, opposite the door swing.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist

<insert happy dance>

:jump:

That thing has SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!

There are so many cool vehicles to build, but this is the first time I've been jealous of another rig... now the wheels are turning...

Darn you Mike!!!

ExpoMike

:jump:

That thing has SO MUCH POTENTIAL!!!

There are so many cool vehicles to build, but this is the first time I've been jealous of another rig... now the wheels are turning...

Darn you Mike!!!

hahaha, that's too funny. You and your rig on our last trip is what really got me seriously wanting a self contained rig versus towing a trailer. Not that I have any issues with that and as you have seen, it sure hasn't limited me.

Now I want to have a rig that will go most any place we want and be self contained. Best part is the entry price on this. Dare I say, $3300, not including the shipping. Heck I can't even buy a Flipac for that price, let alone the truck to go with it.

I did get back from DMV hell and all is good. Got my plates and good to go. Now to start going over the maintenence stuff and getting that squared away. :D

Pics coming... :ylsmoke:

ExpoMike

pics in the driveway

Here they are, after DMV paperwork is done and plates issued.

PICT6028.jpg

PICT6029.jpg

Ellie Approved
PICT6031.jpg

A little bit of scale. Mazda 3 Hatch next to it. This thing is bigger than it looks but not huge as you might think.
PICT6032.jpg

sojourner

Observer
I like where you're going with this.

Any ideas on a floorplan/layout?

Also what's the standing height in the box?

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

ExpoMike

I have been bouncing ideas around and haven't settled on anything. Need to get a tape measure out and do some layouts.

Box is about 65" so not quite tall enough to stand. Been thinking of either extending the roof up (in the middle standing area, not the whole roof) or a pop up. We'll see how things progress. First thing first, get it mechanically gone through.

Sabre07

Observer
There were so many times we would find our assigned medics cooped up in the back of those during training exercises, blowing zzz's under the AC...way cool---your new rig, not the jackleg lazy-*** medics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad