New Build; 1984 Chevy CUCV M1010 4x4 Ambulance

poriggity

Explorer
I'm with Crazy on this one.. Firestone makes the destination AT in 315/70/17 load range E.. That's what I have on my Dodge, and I love em. Nice score on the ambulance, and can't wait to see where you go with it. Are you planning to leave it camo? Here are some pics of the Destination AT's if you are interested...

firestone2.jpg

firestone3.jpg

firestone1.jpg

Scott

ExpoMike

Thanks for the info and comments. As for paint, for the time being, it will stay camo but may get repainted at some point. Might just do the solid green color. Who knows.

As for tires, I am kind of leaning to the Bridgestone Dualer REVO 2's as I have the REVO on my Cherokee and LOVE them! It happens the 315/70-17 in those are E range so that may work out just as I need it to. I have to get a lift done before it really matters as I can't get 35's under the back currently.

dueleratrevo2.png

poriggity

Explorer
So, dare I ask Mike, what you plan on doing with the XJ? I need a vehicle to build, and after seeing yours at the T4T event in Pomona a while back.... :)
Scott

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Can't wait to see what you do with this Mike. Any chance you can post up that one on Steel Soldiers on 37's for us? Can't view it if you're not a member.

EDIT: Looks like 100dollar man up in the high desert did the conversion.... he doesnt have any photos on his page though. I've been there and his trucks are pretty nice for Surplus.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Can't wait to see what you do with this Mike. Any chance you can post up that one on Steel Soldiers on 37's for us? Can't view it if you're not a member.

EDIT: Looks like 100dollar man up in the high desert did the conversion.... he doesnt have any photos on his page though. I've been there and his trucks are pretty nice for Surplus.

Opps, didn't even think about the fact I was linking an attachment from SS and you can't view it without being a member. :Wow1:

I uploaded it to ExPo and fixed my link above so you should be able to see it. It was 100dollar man who did it. Used a lift kit from OffroadDesigns.com. Here is another picture of the guy who bought it from 100dollar man and had it repainted in a gloss tan versus the flat tan. Looks good.

attachment.php

@Scott, the plan is to keep the XJ and Kamparoo for a while, until this build is able to get out and be used. Then it looks like my dad will buy the Kamparoo but we will be keeping the XJ for day trips and tow it out for "base camp" type trips. Just way too much time and money invested to let it go at this point.

Attachments

• 1010-paint1.jpg
    1010-paint1.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1,475

poriggity

Explorer
I figured you wouldn't be getting rid of the XJ, but I figured it was worth a shot... Not that I can afford it anyway... I think I'll be sticking with my plan to build the Dodge.. It's big, and bulky, but man could it be a cool expo rig. Diggin the ambulance so far!
Scott

ExpoMike

Well, I ended up picking up a set of 5 Pro Comp Xtreme A/T tires in a 35x12.5-17 size from Mario at Adventure Trailers. He had a customer who when to a smaller tire and asked if he could help sell them. He happened to have someone from AT coming out to SoCal so we made a deal and hooked up.

I had them mounted on my H2 wheels this weekend. Sweet. The tires have been getting good reviews so hopefully they will work well.

Not being able to wait for a lift to see how they fit and having read that 35" tires will fit with minor fender trimming without a lift, I decided to throw them on. I am going to need to trim the lower fender lips the tires come up to but that should be it in the front. The rear might be a different story. Because of the box versus a truck bed, there is actually less clearance in width. A lift might have to be done so the rears will fit. I was looking at a 4" lift but really would like to keep it lower. I might start with a 2.5" shackle flip in the rear, since it is sitting lower to begin with and work from there. I would like to keep the CG as low as I can so we'll see how things progress. Glad I was able to test fit things before ordering the lift. Here's some pics.

PICT6056.jpg

PICT6057.jpg

PICT6058.jpg

It would have been nice if there was a choice of a 35x10.5 or 11.5 but the tires companies don't seem interested in those sizes.

ExpoMike

Okay, tonight's project was to trim the front fenders so I could actually turn the front tires. Figured out about how much needed to be trimmed and in less than 10 minutes, it was done and from the side view you would never know. The fenders only needed to be trimmed in the lower inside rear corner. Followed the same angle as the stock lower lip and took about 3/4" off with my air body saw. Cake!!!

Before the trim
PICT6059.jpg

After the trim
PICT6061.jpg

After that was done, I was able to move it to level ground and did some measuring in the rear. I was planning a 4" lift for the whole rig but now I might just lift the rear for clearance and then level the front. Here are some pics at the two different shackle flip hights available (2.5" or 4").

Stock
PICT6057.jpg

2.5" higher
PICT6063.jpg

4" higher
PICT6062.jpg

Hummm... not sure what I will do. I am going to talk to Off Road Designs and get their opinion.

ExpoMike

Well, after talking to ORD and taking a few more measurements, I decided I am going to start with a 2.5" shackel flip in the rear and see how things are at that point. This will let me get out and test some flex and see if there is any other clearance issues. I can then go from there. I would like to keep this as low as I can as it's already got a higher CG then a typical truck. I think in my overall plans, I will manage to keep the CG low by keeping most of the heavy stuff low in the box or on the chassis. The box A/C is coming off so that will get a big chunk off.

Guess I'll need to wait for my parts to come in...

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Mike, looking good man.. any photos from the scouting trip this past weekend? I want to see your new rig in the dirt.

ExpoMike

Mike, looking good man.. any photos from the scouting trip this past weekend? I want to see your new rig in the dirt.

Hahaha... the scouting trip... we had the 1010 camouflaged as a silver Tacoma. It was a real trick to pull that off. Heck, the most dirt it's seen has been at Fiesta Island. :victory:

Thanks for the props everyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilgirl