New Build; 1984 Chevy CUCV M1010 4x4 Ambulance

fisher205

Explorer
My Dodge seems to like 65 with the Alaskan on it. Get much faster it feels like the Eco roamer video. Also seems to be waay less thirsty. Luckily I don't have the CA traffic to mess with. Have you done a speedometer correction with the new tires? That should have netted you about 10% increase in speed (so 55mph???).

Brad

ExpoMike

My Dodge seems to like 65 with the Alaskan on it. Get much faster it feels like the Eco roamer video. Also seems to be waay less thirsty. Luckily I don't have the CA traffic to mess with. Have you done a speedometer correction with the new tires? That should have netted you about 10% increase in speed (so 55mph???).

Brad

Actually the speedo was WAY off with the stock tires (based on GPS) and with the new tires, it is still reading too fast. With the new tires, 60 MPH by the speedo is 56MPH by GPS. I just got my Tiny Tach installed so that is where I was able to get my RPM numbers in relation to GPS MPH.

Yes, CA traffic can suck big time with a slow vehicle. I never leave the slow lane and everything passes me, big rigs, buses, guy riding his bike... :Wow1:

SWbySWesty

Fauxverland Extraodinaire
It's part of the rite of passage of having a cool older vehicle. If you leave it painted that way, I'll bet nobody will mess with the camo truck though!

I drive about 60 to 65 in my van. So far, I tend to pass big rigs on the 5, and within LA, traffic crawls anyways so I'm just as fast as Brad Pitt in his Ferrari next to me.

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Nope, my personal comfort zone for cruising in any vehicle on the freeway is 65 MPH. If it can't do that all day long, I'm not going to own it... unless they bring the national speed limit back to 55 MPH. Even at 65, I am likely going to get run over by most of the big rigs and that's only if I stay in SoCal. Hit AZ or NV and I am going to get ran off the road.

Just keep thinking maybe a later model Dodge diesel truck (like early/mid 90's) and a FWC might have been a better purchase. Modern drivetrain, interior, comfort and likely similar space in camper.

and price !...:sombrero:

ExpoMike

Man, I am swinging back and forth on this. Am I making this rig over complicated, i.e. trying to build my own "Earthroamer"? Price wise, a later diesel rig and a FWC will likely run about the same cost as this rig... if I build it as I have in my dreams. If I scale things back, I could get by much cheaper but will I end up as happy with the rig? Big question.

I am thinking of building up the camper part a little more scaled back, which might require me to redo things down the road but it would give me the chance to try things out and see if this rig is truly the direction I want to go. Many choices, thought and ideas.

BTW, in case anyone else has considered an ex-military vehicle as a starting point, these things can be really spartan compared to a civillian vehicle. If you have been used to a modern rig, you will really notice this lack of extras. Still thinking...

gahi

Adventurer
If your having doubts now, cut and run. Old vehicles aren't for everyone. Get the pickup and a camper and you'll be able to do a lot more with it when your done. do you have a place you could store the camper when not in use?

ExpoMike

If your having doubts now, cut and run. Old vehicles aren't for everyone. Get the pickup and a camper and you'll be able to do a lot more with it when your done. do you have a place you could store the camper when not in use?

It's not so much being an old vehicle. I am currently in a full frame off build of my '68 Chevy C10 truck and have my "driver" '65 Chevy C10 truck. Built many old cars from '23 T bucket from scratch to a Pro-Touring '69 Camaro and lots in between. It really comes down to a financial decision and time. I have limited amounts of both so I need to choose wisely.

I think its OK to say...

Hang in there buddy!

It has take me 16 years to get Casa to where she is now!

And, just bite off little pieces. SLOW IS PRO! Trust me, when you get back from your first adventure in her...You'll be thrilled, AND you will be part of the league that creates their own dreams as opposed to the masses that just buy someones else's dreams...THEN bolts a bunch of bling onto it!

As I mentioned to you on Sunday, too bad you are not closer so that I could help you a little. Though I do have a race truck fabricator friend in El Cajon that I can introduce you to.

PM me if you need a "sounding board".

Thanks Jack for the wise advice. Like I said above, it is really coming down to time and money. Do I want to spend my time building or enjoying? Cost is going to be very similar between the two. I like the challange of building what I want but with two other projects (not including the upkeep on 4 other vehicles) I am having to seriously weigh the pros and cons.

Just so I can make an educated decision, the wife and I are going to look at FWC at the Del Mar show this weekend, since they are in town demo'ing these the show. Figure we'll check them out and even see if its an option. We may find we don't care for the layout or something. It could point me in my direction. We'll see which way it goes. :ylsmoke:

LukeH

Adventurer
DON'T TAKE HER TO THE SHOW UNTIL YOU'VE SEEN IT FIRST!
Patience is not the strong point of a large number of the wives of "men with projects".
She will probably go for the finish levels and ready-to-go-ness of the FWC.

The great advantage of your current build is that you can camp out of the rear body today, and add top quality components as you can afford them.
So your budget is spreadable.
So that's going to depend on how spartan she is prepared to camp.

The advantage of tbd FWC is you can set off in it tomorrow.
But you have to pay for the whole thing at once (financing a thing that devalues is insane; a truly bad investment)
And as good as they may be, the equipment and materials choice is always a compromise with cost cutting as its goal, so not necessarily the same compromise as you would make.

There are several fully built rigs on Mobile.de that cost about the same as my build will probably end up being, but as I don't have it up front (so to speak) i'm committed; to Her telling me I should go to Action Mobile just to add to the technical issues I will be wrestling with.

I hear you! It's obviously your call, and if you haven't lived with a ready made camper before your doubts are going to be stronger.
Maybe if you get a beat up unit and live with it for a while you'll have a better idea of what you want to do with your self built.

Or dismount the ambulance body and store it where you can work on it, put a tray on your truck and load up an old slide in. Work on the body in the evening and camp weekends. When it's ready you swap over and recover some diesel money from the slide in.

Just ideas, you're not limited to two options, and remember this truck is to give you freedom! Only you can define what that involves for you.
Thanks for sharing.

ExpoMike

Yeah, I definitely understand where everyone is coming from. It's definitely not an issue of not wanting or being able to build up this rig, it really is coming down to a time/money to value decision. I figure I can basically build this rig as I want it for about $20,000 or less and it would be nicely done but it will also take me a fair amount of time to do so. For that same amount of money (or less) I could buy a newer (used), modern rig and a good, used FWC and be using it instead of building it. Is the value of my time worth building something from scratch, with the limited amount of time I have or is it better spent out camping and using the rig? There end lies the big question.

I am currently 3+ years into a full frame off rebuild of my '68 C10, in which I am currently stripping all the paint off the body and primering it up. I have this project all over the property (cab, engine, trans in garage, doors, interior parts in house, rolling chasiss and rest of body on the side of house) so my space is very limited. If anyone wants to check it out, pics at http://gallery.lisaandmike.org/68truck

I also have my '65 C10 which is awaiting a new clutch and 5 speed trans swap plus needs to rear suspension completely redone correctly. Pics at http://gallery.lisaandmike.org/65c10

As you can see, time is at a premium so I need to choose wisely how I want to spend it.

As for taking the wife to check out the FWC, we have already checked out their smaller version at the SoCal ExPo Toys for Tots meet. We liked it but want to check out a full size version. She is really indifferent on which way we go and understands the decision I am trying to make.

Again, thanks everyone for adding thoughts and suggestions. They do let me see things from different perspectives so keep them coming.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
Man, I am swinging back and forth on this. Am I making this rig over complicated, i.e. trying to build my own "Earthroamer"? Price wise, a later diesel rig and a FWC will likely run about the same cost as this rig... if I build it as I have in my dreams. If I scale things back, I could get by much cheaper but will I end up as happy with the rig? Big question.

I am thinking of building up the camper part a little more scaled back, which might require me to redo things down the road but it would give me the chance to try things out and see if this rig is truly the direction I want to go. Many choices, thought and ideas.

BTW, in case anyone else has considered an ex-military vehicle as a starting point, these things can be really spartan compared to a civillian vehicle. If you have been used to a modern rig, you will really notice this lack of extras. Still thinking...

Those are the exact reasons why I chose not to buy a truck like yours, a friend found one for me at a pretty good price, I was tempted. I spent some time driving those trucks in the Army and like you, the lack of power, amenities and the cost of changing those things changed my mind for me.

I appreciate those than take something like that and make it what they want, but it takes real money and real time and can be very tough to recoup your investment of both on. Whereas a used 90's truck probably has bottomed out on value and the same with a used 4wc, so not such a big loss if you decide to sell later on.

Good luck with the choice. I am watching the build if you decide to keep going.

Also, big fan of your other trucks. I had a 1972 Cheyenne Super 2wd, 1/2t , lwb and my wife had a 1969 Custom 4wd, 1/2t, swb when we first met. We both really miss them. I grew up with the older 60's/70's chevy trucks and will always have a soft spot for them.

Jack

blupaddler

Conspirator
Mike, I feel your pain.

The temptation is very easy to get something that you can take out "now." My van sat for almost a year while I searched out a new front axle and steering components.

Having purchased an older 4x4 van, I have A LOT of things that need to be worked on and addressed. It is still a long way from being anywhere close to perfect. I still get tempted by the nice, newer models. You know the ones that start all the time, and can go 70+ down the freeway. But then they still aren't set-up exactly how I would like. I see guys spending $80K+ on a rig, and still have to tinker with things to make it "better" by modifying things here and there...

My recommendation would be to get the Mullet driveable. Focus on the guages, and some other small items. Don't worry about the GV for now, you'll be fine doing 50-55 mph around here locally. Set up a basic bed in the back, and take the rig out. I imagine things will go well and you will have renewed stoke in the project.

And, don't forget... Finding a 97 or earlier Dodge that hasn't been abused will be tough as well. Not to mention bringing it up to your current standards before it too will be "ready."

Bottom line, its your decision. You have the obvious skills to complete the job. And there is always something neat about having a truck that doesn't look like anyone else's. It certainly eases the, "now where did we park," question.
:sombrero:

Edit: I just looked at your trucks! Wow!!! Very impressive! I really like the 65.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Well, a little update. I did swap out the glow plugs for new Kennedy Diesel Quick Heat plugs. Not sure if I would run into problems removing the old glow plugs (due to swelling of the tips), I was happy to find all of them came out without any issues. Yay!!!

So Lisa and I went to the Del Mar show to check out the new FWC units. Overall nice units but after checking them out a few times (each model) we don't think we would be happy with one. Just too tight for us and this is exactly why we wanted to check them out together. For just one of us, it would really be nice but with the two of us inside, we just felt like we were falling all over each other.

We did drive the 1010 to the show though. :D On that note, I have been told that I am not allowed to call it Mullet unless I can grow one... which with what hair I have left could never happen so I guess a new name will need to be found.

Still figuring things out but it's leaning towards building up this rig. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep the ideas and comments coming.

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Well, a little update. I did swap out the glow plugs for new Kennedy Diesel Quick Heat plugs. Not sure if I would run into problems removing the old glow plugs (due to swelling of the tips), I was happy to find all of them came out without any issues. Yay!!!

So Lisa and I went to the Del Mar show to check out the new FWC units. Overall nice units but after checking them out a few times (each model) we don't think we would be happy with one. Just too tight for us and this is exactly why we wanted to check them out together. For just one of us, it would really be nice but with the two of us inside, we just felt like we were falling all over each other.

We did drive the 1010 to the show though. :D On that note, I have been told that I am not allowed to call it Mullet unless I can grow one... which with what hair I have left could never happen so I guess a new name will need to be found.

Still figuring things out but it's leaning towards building up this rig. Thanks for the advice everyone and keep the ideas and comments coming.

I don't ever want to hear about my propensity towards waffling, dude. :sombrero:

Sincerely, though, I think you're doing right by thinking about it now, before you're too much deeper. Glad you got to see those campers, too, in person. My dad and I checked some out, and for us, too, they were just too cramped.

I think battle truck is a good match for your skills and needs, and I definitely like some of the advice you've gotten.

From my view, nothin's keepin' you and Lisa from putting all your camping gear in the back of that thing and taking it out as-is, to do some real time/real-world assessments. Maybe just make a temp. sleeping platform with some action packers below it for storage. Probably take you a half day, and then you're off and running.

Also maybe make use of some pre-built stuff from Ikea, or a westfalia, etc that you can pickup for cheap, and adapt for your camping/cooking needs.

Just some off the cuff idea's to let you enjoy the rig while you decide and save up for some of the more major mods...

cheers, dude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad