New Build; 1984 Chevy CUCV M1010 4x4 Ambulance

bat

Explorer
I was talking about the tire maybe hitting the front fender on turning it looks close. I have since read your post in another thread explaining some tire problems.

ExpoMike

Yeah, for normal driving it seems to be okay but once it starts to flex some (like a driveway entry at an angle) and turning, I am getting some rubbing. I need to do some more trimming or slight lift or ???. Just need more time to play.

ExpoMike

So I got some more time to work on the 1010 this weekend. Made progress but not as much as I hoped. Installed the Offroad Design steering box brace. Went in without too much hassle and should prevent any frame cracking that could happen. Also installed a Tiny Tach (which I forgot to take pics of, Doh!), new under dash starter relay and a new glow plug timer from Peninsular Diesels.

Offroad Design steering brace, the main piece mounted to the front crossmember (sorry for the crappy pics)
PICT6079.jpg

And ties in the two rear steering box bolts
PICT6081.jpg

Front brace that ties in the box to the crossmember
PICT6082.jpg

New starter relay and glow plug timer, plate old relay mounts to, which gets mounted to the underside of the dash.
PICT6083.jpg

I'll get some pics of the Tiny Tach. I also removed some unneeded mil spec wiring. Still need to replace the glow plugs with a set of new Kennedy Quick Heat plugs but that's another day.

ExpoMike

So I am driving back from a test run and I don't know how this popped into my head but I might have a name for this rig. The "beast" as it has been getting called just wasn't right so what popped into my head, "Mullet". You know, all business in the front, party in the back! :D

Describes this to a tee. LOL Just thought it was funny...

Dave Kay

Adventurer
So I am driving back from a test run and I don't know how this popped into my head but I might have a name for this rig. The "beast" as it has been getting called just wasn't right so what popped into my head, "Mullet". You know, all business in the front, party in the back! :D

Describes this to a tee. LOL Just thought it was funny...

Dude--- That is like totally makin' sense! Whoa! Righteous name! Or how 'bout "The Mullet Expedition?"

(circa; late '80's; when real men proudly wore mullet hair-styles and offroaders read Four Wheeler magazine...) I'm reminded of my poorboy expedition days what I had an old Chevy C-20 I fixed up for off-roading with a D-Locker, Rancho shocks, BFG A/T tires, dual batts, heavy leafs, et., al., and just generally dedicated to hauling a slide-out camper plus boat to the boonies. So I finally got a hold of a decent enough camper and did a total interior remodel, 12-volt plugs all over PLUS 110v to make nice for wifey's hair dryer, etc, and outfitted with tons of other stuff as well. It turned out to be a fairly comfortable and functional rig for either camp-ground or primitive.

So by the time it was finished and ready to roll I couldn't help being inspired by the Four Wheeler mag articles about The Turtle Expedition. (how many remember Granville King?) Anyway, we had to have a name for our rig and it was this or that, or beast, and nothing fit until somebody snapped a pic of me standing beside the rear of the camper and when we saw the prints, there it was as plain as day: "The Beaver!" Not like Theodore Cleaver, but The Beaver was the manufacturer's model name plastered across the back of our camper. Hence; The Beaver Expedition was born.

Best of luck to ya' on your project there Mike!

ExpoMike

Well, nothing new to report outside of trying to figure out what all I want to do. Man things are $$$$!!! Here's just a quick rundown of what some of my plans are and the costs... starting to think I'm nuts...

Gear Vendors overdrive $3300
New dash and gauge setup I am planning $1000
Propane force heating system $800
Interior work (i.e. radio, CB, speaker, headliner, carpet, etc.) ~$1000

Heck, there is still stuff I want/need to do to the suspension and engine and I haven't even started building the camper yet... Starting to think this might not have been the best plan... sigh!

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
You know the saying about the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. Tell the wife to get a second job to support your "habit". Now here is the required warning to go along with this suggestion. It may lead to you sleeping on the couch or in the doghouse. Could lead to you getting punched by wife, multiple times. Good luck:bike_rider:

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
You know the saying about the difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. Tell the wife to get a second job to support your "habit". Now here is the required warning to go along with this suggestion. It may lead to you sleeping on the couch or in the doghouse. Could lead to you getting punched by wife, multiple times. Good luck:bike_rider:

hahhahaha!!

Honestly, I think you've just got to be patient, Mike. None of that stuff needs to happen right away, does it?

I still think you made a great choice with your platform, for what it's worth.

Want to sell me my shottie back? I'll help finance your rig. haha!

ExpoMike

Isnt there an OD tranny that will swap in?

The only one that would hold up to the weight and diesel output is a 4L80E but they are computer controlled. All said and done would be about $5000 and wouldn't give me the gear splitting that will be really needed climbing hills where I'm at.

ExpoMike

hahhahaha!!

Honestly, I think you've just got to be patient, Mike. None of that stuff needs to happen right away, does it?

I still think you made a great choice with your platform, for what it's worth.

Want to sell me my shottie back? I'll help finance your rig. haha!

Actually many of them need to happen and many of them domino into the other. Some don't but a lot of the things I need are to get it driveable to remote locations. Things like gauges so I can monitor engine temps, oil pressure, etc. Don't really want to buy some cheap POS piece only to throw it out when I upgrade.

Many of the hurdles I am finding are due to the minimal equipment the military had. Had this been a civilian equiped vehicle, many of the little things would not be a big deal as it would already have them.

A really hard part is trying to plan all the systems without actually having them and then figure out how wires/cable/hoses will need to be ran or built. I am not a big fan of putting together something only to continually tear it apart as I have to add things that I knew I would be adding.

The first and primary thing is the Gear Vendors. Right now 60 MPH is 2800-3000 RPM, which in a gas engine would be fine. Being a diesel the redline is 3600 RPM's and you ideally don't want to run them past 2500 RPM's for extended periods of time.

I'll get there but man, now I know why many of these rigs end up costing so much.

bajajoaquin

Adventurer
Dude--- That is like totally makin' sense! Whoa!
[snip]
(how many remember Granville King?)
[/snip]

I still remember one of his columns, where he talks about the nature of four-wheelers. Went something like,

....a real four-wheeler would get to the top of this hill, and be surrounded by El Dorado's gold, and turn to his friend and say, "Did you see that climb? Never spun a wheel!"

fisher205

Explorer
"Being a diesel the redline is 3600 RPM's and you ideally don't want to run them past 2500 RPM's for extended periods of time."

You could just slow down. It would save you a lot of money to do things you really need to do if you want to use it.

LowTech

Dirt Track Traveler
"Being a diesel the redline is 3600 RPM's and you ideally don't want to run them past 2500 RPM's for extended periods of time."

You could just slow down. It would save you a lot of money to do things you really need to do if you want to use it.

That's what we did. :sombrero:

ExpoMike

Nope, my personal comfort zone for cruising in any vehicle on the freeway is 65 MPH. If it can't do that all day long, I'm not going to own it... unless they bring the national speed limit back to 55 MPH. Even at 65, I am likely going to get run over by most of the big rigs and that's only if I stay in SoCal. Hit AZ or NV and I am going to get ran off the road.

Just keep thinking maybe a later model Dodge diesel truck (like early/mid 90's) and a FWC might have been a better purchase. Modern drivetrain, interior, comfort and likely similar space in camper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blkcad