New Defender Concept

stevek

Observer
It's growing on me very slowly. I think if the interior had analog instrumentation I'd be a little more at ease.

yloDiscoii

Observer
Reading some of the responses about makes me think of this..."Back in my day, Land Rover's didn't have fancy electric windows!.....AAAnnnd we LIKED it!"
dana-carvey-grumpy.jpg:sombrero:

Power windows are nice but here's the problem I have with the concept other than the looks.
Me.
IFS/IRS

Ahh relief

Seriously though it needs solid axles or I wouldn't even consider test driving it.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Seriously though it needs solid axles or I wouldn't even consider test driving it.

x2. There's a reason why Land Cruiser continued to offer the straight axle Land Cruiser 70 Series for commercial/third world markets, while the rest of the line went over to mall-cruiser status with the 100. The Defender should be the same.

David

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
We should start a petition that the new defender will be made as follows.

Current defender with land cruiser axles....

That is all...

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
It looks a little better every time I see it.
Still no redeeming features in my view, aside from the recessed door handles I mentioned earlier. I still don't see any point in it, other than Tata trying to get a few more Rupees from the Defender name.
It's as much an abomination as the first time I saw it.

"Back in my day, Land Rover's didn't have fancy electric windows!.....AAAnnnd we LIKED it!"
Very true. I really don't like the electric windows in my Disco's. And I even like the dash vents in my Defender and Series.

Last edited:

overlander

Expedition Leader
...And I even like the dash vents in my Defender and Series.

For me it's not like, it's LOVE! The dash vents for some reason in my head are the icon of the icon. So much so that when having my NAS 110 restored, which originally had those vents blanked out from the factory, I had my bulkhead swapped so I could regain the vents and the parcel tray. To me, if they don't integrate the direct air air vents as a functional and visual attribute on the new model, then it's not a Defender any more. Period.

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
For me it's not like, it's LOVE!
Well, I try not to call it "love" with an inanimate object, though at times I've been convinced my Land Rovers are possessed. ;)

So... the only time I haven't loved! my dash vents is many years ago when a bumble bee came through one, in spite of the screen, and was blown up the leg of my shorts. :Wow1:
Luckily for me the impact with something in the dash had killed it.

AndrewClarke

Adventurer
Wow...lets save the pedestrian that stupidly stepped out in front of a car. I guess they dont have a solution for the differential speed of a 2-3 ton object traveling at speed hitting a human being yet. Next thing you know the EU wont let you drive faster than 24kmh so that you dont kill anyone.

I know I'm late to this party, but here's an interesting tidbit from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Locomotive_Acts

The 1865 act required all road locomotives, which included automobiles, to travel at a maximum of 4 mph (6 km/h) in the country and 2 mph (3 km/h) in towns and have a crew of three travel, one of whom should carry a red flag walking 60 yards (55 m) ahead of each vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nowhereman