New finch shell

NYCO

Adventurer
Nice, I am looking at the very same setup for my same truck. I am still on the stock suspension. What are the specifics of your OME setup? 885/886? and prior to the shell was your truck running with some rake? it looks quite level now.

885 in the front. It sits just a little bit high in the back now without anything at all in the bed. I've been driving around with nothing in the back and it's noticeable on high speed bumps. With weight in the back it's fine. Before the suspension it was level and had the 4 leaf pack. I'll probably drive with the camper on full time starting in the spring.

I haven't tried the heater camping yet. I did hook it up with it just leaning on the back wall and on high. I wasn't in the camper and just let it run to see how warm it would get. I didn't think it got all that hot, but with a body or 2 and a dog to absorb the heat I'm sure that makes a difference. It was also about 15 degress out and I had the turnbuckle vent + the ceiling vent open alot. If anyone has some input on why installing it anywhere than the back wall would be better let me know.

The cabinet is a battery box sans battery that FWC set up. I've got an old battery from my other camper that I could toss in, but still trying to figure what my plan is. In my popup trailer I barely use the battery - only on lights and for the furnace so I'm not too concerned about it. I might end up moving it all to the front of the camper.
photo(5).jpg

Wkg07

William
Awesome looking ride and camper. Exactly what I have been considering for sometime now. I hope you enjoy it!

NYCO

Adventurer
I put in the Wave 3 and the stairs. I need to figure out the best way to secure the quick connect for the propane line running to the outside. It will fit in through that hole.
IMAG0004.jpg
IMAG0007.jpg
IMAG0005.jpg

PBnFJ

Observer
The FWC is a very nice setup. How does the Tacoma handle the weight back there? You running the OME Dakars with the extra leaf?

NYCO

Adventurer
The FWC is a very nice setup. How does the Tacoma handle the weight back there? You running the OME Dakars with the extra leaf?

It's been sitting in my yard for a few weeks and I only drove with it about 70 miles. Seemed to be fine on the highway, but I won't have it back on for about 2 weeks and I'll be leaving it on full time.

The leaf springs are the OME Dakars with 5 +2 leafs.

Tim A

Adventurer
Awesome camper NYCO! I'm debating FWC or flippac and have the same truck as you (except my suspension and tires are stock). Couple questions if you don't mind:

-Did you consider the Falcon vs. the Finch? What led you to the Finch?

-Do you think it would be feasible to have a Finch or Falcon in the bed with stock leaf springs and airbags? I am sticking with 31"-32" tires.

-Do you like the way the camper is secured to your truck? Is there a way to secure it using the OEM rail system in the bed?

NYCO

Adventurer
I considered the AT flippac, falcon, and finch. I was close to getting the flippac and just decided where I camp it's too cold to have a tent on top. I would have put in a heater in a flippac, but didn't see a whole lot of others who had done it. It seems everyone, including FWC, says the Falcon is just too small. The finch you can sleep down below if you needed to (and aren't very tall). I put the cushions on the action packers and I could fit sleeping sideways/little diagonal in the camper in a pinch if needed

With stock suspension maybe a shell with nothing in it would be ok. It just depends on how much you end up hauling around. I will tow a dirtbike or 2 and maybe a snowmobile if possible, so I figured all around suspensio upgrade was best. The way the camper is secured seems fine and the front is super strong since it's mounted directly to the frame. Then the back has the happijac buttons with a "cushioned" turnbuckle. The rail system in the bed seems pretty weak just from my experience trying to secure dirtbikes and other stuff back there. They would always flex and seem about ready to rip out. They say rated for 250lbs or something I think though.

NYCO

Adventurer
Installed a bike rack on the back wall today. I used a Thule fork mount attached to 1/2" aluminum plates on both inside and out. I know it's overkill, but it wasn't much more expensive for the thicker aluminum. On the bottom I cut a length off of a bike tray that I already had and was able to use the ratchet strap as the tie down. I used existing holes but with some larger screws to mount the tray. It's very solid.

DSC00508.JPGDSC00509.JPGDSC00510.JPGDSC00513.JPGDSC00514.JPG

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Looks good. I am pretty sure that the rear tire of the bike will clear the back bumper?

Where did you get the aluminum block? Hopefully it was online because I would like to order a couple as well.

Can you please post a photo of the mounting block on the inside of the camper? You just drilled clear through and bolted?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donaldsonmp3

Members online